• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle delimma (tikka 595 or stiller) long winded question

Travis224

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2010
Council Bluffs, Iowa
So i already have a tikka 595 continental varminter in both original 17 rem and a shilen barreled .223. I had it built as a switch barrel gun so i could take advantage of both calibers i already load for. Im into getting the most accuracy and i prefer to do it easily. To me easily is ergonomic and have looked into to Mcrees stocks, unfortunately this action wont fit in one. So that leaves me this delimma, buy an A3a stock for it and set it up that way, OR sell the whole setup, buy a stiller that would fit into a stock of my choosing and start all over with new barrels again?

Here is a kink in keeping the Tikka, the 223 barrel is a 1-14 for shooting 52 grn HPBTs and was going to buy a 1-9/1-8 twist barrel eventually but havent yet and would be the first barrel bought for the Stiller.

I would also classify the acton as a pistol so i could also drop it into a pistol stock like i have already done with Stiller's Lonestar .22 action. Its not a must have but would be a must do if i went this route.

I know that alot of people here are "go custom or go home" but i really want BOTH sides of this delimma. As to use, this is a 50-400 yard gun and have so far been fully capable but also have a AR 1-9 that i like shooting alot and am shooting 68 grn bullets easier and to match its ergonomics in a bolt would be great.

Thanks

I know that Master Class Stocks will build you something nice for the Tikka--you have only to ask. You might also hit up Gary Eliseo about his tactical tube stocks and see if he can make the 595 action work. As you plan to replace the barrel anyhow and his system uses a recoil disk (basically a circular lug) to locate the receiver (along with action screws) you might have a winning combination that can take advantage of all the sweet black rifle accessories as well as some other things.

Of course, if cost is not an issue...go custom. You only live once (or so I've been told)

The biggest hurdle with the Tikka is that it is flat bottomed and it takes a single stack magazine. It appears that the tactical mags that are used with all the DBM kits cant be used with my Tikka. It really sucks cause the Tikka is super nice and as smooth or smoother than alot of other actions on the market.

In the case of the 595 that very well might be true--I am meant to understand that the T3 has no such limitation. You might just buy a T3 instead of a Stiller and go from there. I've been able to get good used stainless T3's for about $500 from people who actually want to sell them.