• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle for Tactical/Practical Matches

Mead

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Wyoming
So I've had a lot of fun competing in various sports over the years, and have been shooting for a long time. I did competition air rifle when I was younger, and with a relocation and new job I have the opportunity to step into the bigger tac/prac matches.

The only match I've competed in thus far was the 24hr SAC, which was a blast, but probably gives me a lopsided view of what I think I need in a match rifle. I used my TRG-22, which I have since sold.

The biggest issue with the TRG was the ergos weren't really suited to me, so I would need to find another chassis option. Also, the barrel was longer than I would like (although it did get 175s to 1200 before going subsonic, barely), and it was heavy. I would like something that is lighter, and handier.

Ideally I would love to build a .308 with a ~18" barrel, a lighter contour, a light-ish stock, and a 3-15x optic. I'm thinking this way I could avoid reloading for a while, and when I feel like stepping up to a more competitive caliber I can rebarrel instead of building a new rifle. Also, does anyone use semi-autos for this?

I'm not planning on winning, but don't want to be completely under-gunned either (I know the shooter is more important).

Terrible idea or no?

You're going to have a lot of people tell you that you can't be competitive with a 308 but that's not true. You have to be REALLY on your game but you can be competitive. However if you shoot 308 in a match it's best to have some weight to it and a muzzle brake. You also want a long enough barrel to get best velocity. You're not going to be competitive with a light 308 with a 18" barrel, you'll have fun though.

If you want to go light or not run a brake a 6mm or 6.5mm is a better option. They're a bit flatter and have less recoil. If you want to run factory ammo the 6.5 creedmoor is a good choice. You still want a 24" barrel though

6.5 creedmoor, I noticed you might not like reloading much. Factory ammo cheaper then 308win.....

When you decide how you want your rifle spec'ed, I know of a gunsmith who does some top notch work in your hometown Mead.