• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle for the wife?

briscoetab

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2011
west texas
I am looking at getting my wife a rifle but I have to say it will be as much for me as her. She likes to shoot but I don't really have anything for her to shoot. The only long range rifle I have is my 300 ultra mag. I have an old 8mm mauser and a junky Remington .223. I'm looking for something that she can actually shoot past a couple hundred yards. I think the .223 will be fine for her to learn some technique on but that is about it. She is familiar with shooting, just not long range. She can't take anything with to much recoil, she has a over under 20 gauge and it probably has more recoil than she is comfortable with. Like I said this rifle will also be for me too because she probably won't want to shoot it enough to get our money's worth out of it. For me, I have wanted something a little smaller than my ultra mag, while I love shooting it; I would like something to shoot while I let it cool off.

So this is what I am thinking, a .260 with a break or maybe a suppressor when I can afford it. I think she has long enough arms and height that pretty much any stock will work but maybe something that is adjustable so I can set it to fit both of us. I am thinking of switching my 5-20 razor hd to whatever rifle I get for her and then getting a new scope for my ultra mag (probably the new razor when it comes out).

I guess more than anything I am just wondering if the .260 would be a good fit for her or should I think about something with even less recoil. The .260 would be great for me and is a caliber I have been wanting or something similar like 6.5 cm.

One of my friends has a .260 and I would let my wife shoot it but it is completely different than what I am talking about getting, so shooting it wouldn't really be a good example for her (the rifle is light and has no brake). I want to get her something with a heavier contoured barrel, heavier stock and muzzle brake. There have been a couple of .260 for sell here that has been similar to what I want but I am not sure if this would be a good rifle for her yet.

I guess my budget for just the rifle would be around 2500 but for the right rifle maybe more. I am thinking something used would be best, I don't really feel like waiting on something to be built and I feel like I could get a better deal on something used. If I knew a good local gunsmiths or a good gunsmith where the wait wouldn't be forever I would consider having somthing built. I also will be reloading for this rifle if that matters.

What are y'alls thoughts or insights on this? Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ohh also any suggestions on barrel lenght and twist would be appreciated. I really know very little on the .260. Weight is really not an issue, she won't really have to lug the rifle anywhere. We have a private range that we shoot past a mile and drive right to where we shoot from.

260 should be fine. My wife is a sissy and shot my 260 without a brake just fine. If you threw a brake on it she wouldn't even notice. Weight doesn't matter you say bit I still probably wouldn't go any heavier than a rem var/med palma contour so she can still manipulate it easy enough. I've had a 260 and have several creeds and they're basically the same. I get the same performance and velocity from them. I like the creed better because the Hornady brass is decent enough and cheap. The 260 I do lapua and it just gets pricey for not much more benefit than creed brass. Anyway, 24-26" barrel will give you 2800+ with the 140s pretty easy. 22" isn't too far behind. I'd do an 8 twist but if you can only find 8.5 that'll work too. Bugholes and grizzly usually have several available in both twist rates.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

260 and 6.5CM are well rounded cartridges, and either would definitely fill a void you currently have...considering all you've got it a 300RUM.

however, if you are truly interested in your wife enjoying shooting with you, I don't think you can have light enough recoil. A 223ai is quite capable with an 8 twist and ~80gr bullets. A 22-250 or 22-250ai can be absolutely wicked with that 8 twist and 80s. Then there is a whole host of 6mm choices that are fantastic.

6.5s don't have "a lot" of recoil, but 22s and 6s have less...and that's a great thing.

If recoil is an issue, a 260 with a heavy barrel and stock should be fine(even w/out a break). 6.5 CM is good also. Tried and true 308 w/ a break would also be fine. But have you thought about a 243? Even less recoil than a 260, good ballistics with heavier bullets. Like really good along with the 6.5's.

I will say I have a 260 and love everything about it. Go with a 22-26" barrel for any of the above listed, 8" twist for either the 6.5's or 243, load test them and enjoy. If you go 308, I recommend a 10" twist(though others have their own preference).

For stock I really like the AICS. Thumbhole stocks work for me though, and the Manners T5 and T5A are awesome too. If you don't like chassis systems I recommend any of the Manners T-series(T5 being my personal pick followed be the T3 and then T4).

You may end up liking that rifle so much that you keep it for yourself and have to get another for her though. It's all on you, good luck with your choice. I hope this has helped.

I would get her a 22-250 Rem sps varmint and put money into a break and scope, then stand back
and watch her out shot ya.

You might look into something in the 6mm group. The 6XC or the 6CM with 105's, along with a brake will be easy enough in the recoil that even in a lighter rifle shouldn't bother her. Those rounds are also very accurate and good in the wind, so she won't feel like she can't anything so why try. They are a little bit cheaper to shoot, but do require reloading.

Josh at Patriot Valley Arms is building my wife a Big Horn Arms based .223 in a Rock Solid Chassis. She'll be using it out to about 500yds. I can't wait... erm... she can't wait I meant.

Don't forget that muzzle brakes, while effective at reducing the recoil force, greatly exaggerate the blast and report.

A lot of people find it pretty objectionable.

May be better off with a smaller cartridge and no brake.

260 with a suppressor and Vortex Razor HD 5-20X would be perfect for you both and should get you to 1200-1400 yds with 26" barrel. Easy to find ammo and reload for and above average barrel life! Good luck!

I'm in the process of building a rifle for my future wife. I went with a 243. She didn't like shooting my 708 with 162s, and didn't like the weight of the rifle. So I decided on a 22" bart barrel, fluted, rem varmint contour. Manners MCS-T 90% carbon. JEC muzzle brake. Along with all the other stuff, ptg m5 bottom metal, ptg knob, rem 700 action with a pinned Holland's lug. She should love it, and if she doesn't I won't hesitate to shoot it. I will be loading 105 Berger vld hunting in lapua brass for it. The purpose of the rifle is a combo between hunting and playing.

Have you considered 6mm. Straighter shooting bullet, goes out to 1K, less recoil, and can kill any normal game in N America. The only downside is shorter barrel life.

I appreciate the input so far. I did think about a smaller caliber like some of you suggested but if the recoil is manageable for her and doesn’t cause any flinching I think I would prefer the .260 for her (or 6.5cm). I really want something that can go to a 1000yds or further and the .260 seems like the best performer for this while still having minimum recoil. I do want it to be something she is comfortable with though, I will be shooting it but I want it for her more than me. I'm not sure if she will be able to get out to 1000yds but if she can I want something that will perform well at that distance so I don't have to pep up a smaller caliber to reach that far.

I think right now I would like the .260 in a AICS, Whiskey 3 or a Manners stock. I will let her decide on the stock though, whatever looks and feels best to her. Then a 26" med. palma barrel. Swap my razor hd 5-20 over to that rifle and add a APA brake or something similar. Maybe later I can get a suppressor but since the wait times on paper work are so long that probably won't be an option right now. She has been with me a bunch while shooting my 300 ultra mag with a FB brake and the brake doesn’t seem to bother her and like I said we have our own range so we don't have to worry about bothering others with the blast from a brake.

Thanks again for the input and anything else y'all can suggest will be appreciated.

We ending up getting my wife a Savage .260. She likes it, but would just as happy with a .243. She wants to get a heavy barrel to go with her sporter for a switch barrel for range and hunting.

At first glance, I thought this thread was called 'Rifle or Wife?' and thought man, we've all had to make that choice before haven't we.. lol

haha, man I am dense. I saw vinogeek's reply and didn't understand what he was saying, now I get it. That's pretty funny.

briscoetab said:
I really want something that can go to a 1000yds or further and the .260 seems like the best performer for this while still having minimum recoil.

The 6mms like 243 will handily shoot inside a 260 to 1000 yards, and have less recoil.

I see a lot of opinion and recommendations of calibers here. Regardless of the caliber, I'd recommend a high end, sorbothane type recoil pad as well. It'll dampen the perceived recoil quite a bit, which is usually what shooter's really notice (perceived versus actual ft-lbs of energy). Even a .308 can be tamed quite a bit with a good recoil pad...

Using the newer case designs 30 degree shoulder as opposed to 260 older 20 degree design will help in reducing case stretch. The 30 degree shoulder cartridge of the 6XC, both CM, and the Lapua combined with the slightly longer neck cartridges offer an improvement in efficiency along with improved barrel life. The 6XC, 6CM, and 6x47 Lapua are all as effective and in some cases are more effective then the 6.5 because of bullet design. When you look at what the top shooters are using, there is change in thoughts that it is not about bigger is better. With more of them making the switch based on higher BC, less wind effect at the longer yardages. Efficient case design along with high BC means these bullets are staying supersonic to much greater distance and that help a lot in accuracy. While I enjoy my 6.5CM and its accuracy at l000yds, the top 3 6mm cartridges are an improvement. MarinePMI make a good point on using an aftermarket shoulder pad as most are a big improvement over the factory supplied pad.

I struggled trying to figure out what rifle to get my wife but I took her out shooting with several rifles and she ended up liking my .260 with an MRAD brake. She doesn't like recoil but she can shoot 50+ rounds with her shoulder hurting. She didn't like the KRG chassis so I am having a .260 built in an AICS 2.0 that she thought fit her very well. For the budget you mentioned, you should check out RWS's base custom rifle. Robert has built several rifles for me and I have been very happy with everything.

Base Custom Rifle | RW Snyder Gunsmithing

I gave my Wife my older 260. It started out as a 308, 700p I changed it to a 260 and when I up graded to a Bugholes 260 she started showing some interest in shooting long range. She enjoys the shit out of it.

I am in a similar situation. I've been wanting to build a very budget stick for short range and a little varmint popping, that is really affordable to shoot. But the big influence to this is so my female friend can shoot with me, Girl says she wants to spend some range time with me. She loves to shoot the shotguns and pistols but i don't really have anything she would be comfortable shooting for a full range session. So any excuse to build a new rifle is a good excuse. I started my search with an accurate factory gun that i really wouldn't have to do anything to and I've decided on a tikka T3 Varmint in .223. toss it in an X-Ray chassis (short starting LOP and fully adjustable for the ladies and myself) and top it with probably a SS. Good heavy barrel low recoil rifle that she would be able to learn on. Start her on 100 and get here comfortable and be able to work her out to 500. If she sticks with it then look into a .260 or a 6.5 creed that she could stretch out her newly developed skills. Seems like a win win to me.

If I were in your shoes I'd go over budget a tad, but this is what I'd get:

High End build:

Bighorn arms action TL2
Manners TF1
Bartlien Med Palma contour barrel 26" length 1:8 twist
30 MOA base
Scope of choice.. from a SS 5-20 HD to Kahles 624i

Lower cost
Tikka Varmint 308
KRG Chassis
Murphy Precision Scope base MurphyPrecision.com - Scope Bases, Rings, and Assorted Shooting Accessories.
SS 5-20 HD scope

The 308 I'd just load with light bullets.

Man y’all are awesome, you have definitely given me some stuff to think about and I think you have changed my mind on calibers. I'm now thinking maybe the 6cm with a recoil pad as and maybe a brake (or maybe not).

Bradu do you have any idea what kind of turn around time you can expect with RW Snyder Gunsmithing or do I need to contact them? It looks like they might be exactly what I am looking for if their work is good and wait time isn't too long.

I am willing to go over $2500, that is just kind of what I was thinking would be a good aiming point to stay at, that way I don't get carried away.

Once again y'all's input has been great. I love this site, everyone here has helped me tremendously in becoming a better marksman and making good equipment choices to go along with it.

Rockfish, I think I am headed kind of in the direction you are talking about with the high-end build, the problem is where do you get a quality action from? They are all backlogged as far as I have been able to see and most not accepting orders. Barrels I guess you can get if you’re willing to wait a bit. I guess that is one reason I'm thinking of going used right now. Get something that is built similar to what I want, just used.

Man y’all are awesome, you have definitely given me some stuff to think about and I think you have changed my mind on calibers. I'm now thinking maybe the 6cm with a recoil pad as and maybe a brake (or maybe not).

Bradu do you have any idea what kind of turn around time you can expect with RW Snyder Gunsmithing or do I need to contact them? It looks like they might be exactly what I am looking for if their work is good and wait time isn't too long.

I am willing to go over $2500, that is just kind of what I was thinking would be a good aiming point to stay at, that way I don't get carried away.

Once again y'all's input has been great. I love this site, everyone here has helped me tremendously in becoming a better marksman and making good equipment choices to go along with it.

I would send Robert an email or give him a call to see what the current wait is, parts availability is usually a big factor of the wait time.

Rockfish, I think I am headed kind of in the direction you are talking about with the high-end build, the problem is where do you get a quality action from? They are all backlogged as far as I have been able to see and most not accepting orders. Barrels I guess you can get if you’re willing to wait a bit. I guess that is one reason I'm thinking of going used right now. Get something that is built similar to what I want, just used.

Just keep an eye here: Bighorn Actions for actions.

Also think of the trigger. I went with a huber on my last build, but usually go with Jewell.

Go to the Bartlien site or call and ask what they have on hand. Also they will spin them up for you and their wait times are very short.

Among the barrels that I have from Bartlien the last 2 were chambered by Bartlien and they are by far the straightest shooters I have.

Last edited:
I would think that a semi custom build on a 700 action would fall into your budget, unless 2500 included glass.

The 6.5 CM or .260 loaded with 123 grain class bullets would work very well.
Consider putting it in something like an XLR Element Chassis, that will give you the ability to change LOP to properly suit you and your wife.

You could also go the savage route with the predator hunter series in either .260 or 6.5 and drop it into a chassis.

Savage LRP is hard to beat in flavor of choice .243/.260/6.5 Creed. Sub $1K you can put the other $1500 towards an excellent optic. If she can't see what she's shooting at, it won't much matter. Simple home upgrades over time IF she ever needs, but I'm sure she'd be pretty happy. Chop the stock and put on a nice Limbsaver pad and you have a rifle any wife will love. Looks good, shoots good, shoots far and recoils nill.

I really want something that can go to a 1000yds or further and the .260 seems like the best performer for this while still having minimum recoil. I'm not sure if she will be able to get out to 1000yds but if she can I want something that will perform well at that distance so I don't have to pep up a smaller caliber to reach that far.

A 243 or one of the other 6mms would perform just as well if not better than a 260 since you are reloading. Less recoil, and she may be able to see her hits through the scope. That brings satisfaction to newer shooters.

If she has never shot past a couple hundred yards consistently, I would put the 1,000 yard mark out of your head for now. The rifle may do it, but she won't be able to.

The 1000yds is for me not her, like I said I'm going to be shooting this rifle too (that is if she lets me I guess). No it will be awile till she works up to 1000yds but I hope she can eventually.

The 2500 is for rifle only, but I do have a feeling that I am going to go beyond that a bit, I'm going to try not to though. I will be using my razor hd from my 300 ultra mag for this rifle and probably buying me the new razor hd when it comes out.

You can spend more, but why. I learned guitar on a $120 used Samick, not a $2400 Gibson, but end result is the same, I make $2 million a year in record sales.
Joking, I make no money, but I'm very whiskey ear friendly. I say get the Razor and pass on the custom build, cuz she doesn't even know what she wants yet. Wish me and the little lady were within 2.5" TP, things would be peachy.

I built my wife a 6xc and she really likes it. She has shot my 260, 308, and 22-250. The 22-250 and 6xc are her preferred calibers.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I vote 6x47L.

light load of 105 Berger hybrids at 2850- 2900 fps with a brake isn't going to kick much more than a 223.

XLR Element stock, Shilen DGR or Bighorn, jewel trigger, good barrel and Smith.