• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Help! Can't make a decision

stevotary

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2012
I want a rifle that can make the 1000 yards shots. Can't make my mind up. I know Option 1 woud work for sure. Option 2 seems more reasonable, but I'm worried about performance. Which would you do?

OPTION 1
-Take my 270 Remington 700 and convert it to a custom 6.5-284. It will get a new stainless Krieger barrel w/black coat, fiber glass stock bedding. I would set aside my 3-9 Leapold and put a Huskamaw scope on it. ($1700 Package)

Option 2
-Buy a new factory rifle Savage Model 116FCSS Weather Warrior 300 Win Mag with a Accu-Trigger, Accu-Stock, Stainless Barrel and put a Huskamaw on it. ($1600 package)

-Keep the the 270 w/ 3-9 Leapold as is.

Re: Rifle Help! Can't make a decision

option 1

I don't know.... If he goes with option 2, for almost the same price, he will have two rifles instead of one.
Therefore the price difference between option 1 and 2 is not just $100, but $100 plus the price of the Remington.

Option 1 without the Husk. Take some of the savings and buy a Viper. Start shooting, a lot, and figure out what you want for the next build!

I have a Savage model 10 chambered in .260 Rem (Shilen barrel w/ 80 rounds on it) that I'll sell you... PM me if you're interested. It's pretty well built, and would save you some money.

Either one will easily get you to a 1000. You must be a hunter, thus the 270 (great hunting round) and you've been hanging out over on the Long Range Hunting forum, thus the passion for the Huskamaw. Can the Husky & put a bushnell LRHS elite/4.5-18x44 on it, you'll have a great rig with option 2 and two rifles to boot and a very good scope that you can hunt with and shoot LR when you want. If you're still hunting go with the illuminated version (LRHSi). Again, you end up with 2 rifles with option 2, nobody here wants LESS rifles.....;)

Option 1 but do more research on your optic.

Some good suggestions here so I won't muddy the waters but there are a lot of new and used scope options.

Ha! None of us ever looked at the date. Sheldon gets all the points for being on the ball. Good catch.

I've done 2 build with savages this year and am very pleased with both of them, so here's my 2 cents.
Buy a cheaper savage (model 110, etc) with accutrigger in the caliber you want (300 win mag). Should be under 600 from cabelas. Buy bell and carlson stock of your choice (~250-350) and bed the rifle into the stock. Then go shoot.
Other optional upgrades include:
PTG bottom metal to run AICS mags (minor dremel work needed to make it fit in the stock)
Upgrade barrel nut and recoil lug to ground, pinned lug and trued nut from Northland Shooter's Supply (NSS)
Install aftermarket Savage trigger, although I do like the accutrigger after a little polishing

You could also go with a super base model long action and use the saved money to install a prefit barrel from Criterion, Shilen, or others. That said, the factory barrel I have shoots as well as my Criterion.

Huskemaw? Never heard of her.

Dat reticle, tho......