• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Instruction in Pittsburgh Area

HoyaSaxa

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey everyone,

I'm a total n00b looking to get into LR shooting with a bolt action (currently looking at a 700 SPS Tactical in .308 with a cheapie PA scope to get me started).

However, one area where I am not making much ground is finding a firearms class in the Pittsburgh area that caters to beginner bolt action shooters. Most are for carbine style rifles. Since I don't really know anyone with extensive experience, I just wanted a class where I could learn the basics and maybe get to try a couple of different guns before I purchase one. I looked on the training section of the forum as well and I didn't see anything in my area.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Check out the training section of the forum. You want to looking for a Precision Rifle 1 course (PR1), there are a decent number on the east coast, some may be a longer hike than others. One place in PA that I can think of off the top of my head is Wolf Precision (Long Range Shooting School - Wolf Precision).

Black Hat puts on a really good class for a really good price if you dont mind making the roughly 2 and half hour drive over to Lewistown.

Hey everyone,

I'm a total n00b looking to get into LR shooting with a bolt action (currently looking at a 700 SPS Tactical in .308 with a cheapie PA scope to get me started).

However, one area where I am not making much ground is finding a firearms class in the Pittsburgh area that caters to beginner bolt action shooters. Most are for carbine style rifles. Since I don't really know anyone with extensive experience, I just wanted a class where I could learn the basics and maybe get to try a couple of different guns before I purchase one. I looked on the training section of the forum as well and I didn't see anything in my area.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

2 hrs away.......great training, great people
Long Range Rifle I Course - Storm Mountain Training Center

Storm mountain training center in the eastern panhandle of WV. Research them. Rob is fantastic, albeit a lil pricey. Bout a 3 hour drive from Pitts

any others? I am also interested in training. BHT is filled for the rest of the year it looks like

any others? I am also interested in training. BHT is filled for the rest of the year it looks like

Try Thunder Valley Precision in Ohio it should be fairly close to you. I got to shoot a little with owner, Tom Sarver at a match and found him to be a straight up good guy. No problem giving me little pointers and having some fun while at it.

I am new as well and am going to use Tom Sarver at Thunder Valley Precision. I've had a few questions and Toms been awesome! Can't suggest him enough, and he is one heck of a shot!

Hey Chris,
Ask around the gun stores if they know of where bench rest shooters go to shoot.
They are into super accurate guns and ammo and may be able to point you in the right direction.
Also, try to find out more about the Appleseed project in your area as they are the best source for good instruction.
I use a CZ-550 in 308 with a set trigger and load my own ammo to match the rifle for a much more accurate shot group.

Try Thunder Valley Precision in Ohio it should be fairly close to you. I got to shoot a little with owner, Tom Sarver at a match and found him to be a straight up good guy. No problem giving me little pointers and having some fun while at it.

Ive heard nothing but good things about TVP. ill have to check it out

Hey everyone,

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

I signed up for the Black Hat course. It looks like it is still open for registration (via their website) for this fall. Black Hat training (BLACK HAT TRAINING CORPS | The Finest in Long Range and Tactical Rifle Training)

I signed up for the Black Hat course. It looks like it is still open for registration (via their website) for this fall. Black Hat training (BLACK HAT TRAINING CORPS | The Finest in Long Range and Tactical Rifle Training)

The october course is closed. they filled it yesterday. They are still accepting reservations for backups tho

i did PSR2 with vapor trail tactical in late march at rays town lake. more of a run and gun class. my first rifle class. it was awesome. not too much one-on-one instruction. you better have your shit together before you show up. i was able to skip PSR1, but should have taken it. i wasn't ready but kinda got ready during the course.

Chris,
My name is Rick. I am a tactical weapons instructor for PM Security Services Tactical Weapons Training Group. Check us out at www.pmsecurityservicestwtg.com We offer multiple levels of scoped rifle courses as well as many other courses such as pistol, carbine, shotgun, CQB, tactical medicine, and so much more. We have two locations in ohio and I myself live in Pittsburgh and we can hold custom classes wherever we can find the space to do it....it all depends how far you want to reach out.
If you want to talk more about it or have any questions please email me at [email protected]
Thanks
Rick

Scoped rifle training

Chris,
My name is Rick. I am a tactical weapons instructor for PM Security Services Tactical Weapons Training Group. Check us out at PM Security Services - Tactical Weapons Training Group We offer multiple levels of scoped rifle courses as well as many other courses such as pistol, carbine, shotgun, CQB, tactical medicine, and so much more. We have two locations in ohio and I myself live in Pittsburgh and we can hold custom classes wherever we can find the space to do it....it all depends how far you want to reach out.
If you want to talk more about it or have any questions please email me at [email protected]
Thanks
Rick

I am in the new castle area and would be glad to show you the ropes. I belong to a range that goes to 600 yards. I have a few long range rifles and would let you try a few to see what you like.

I have worked with a few other local folks to tune themselves and the rigs. If interrested drop me a pm and maybe we can get out and put a few down range.

You'd be more than welcome to join a few of us at Rayners Range ( Raynersrange.com ) for a day shooting out to1000 yards. Get to look at and shoot a lot of different equipment. The only fee you'd have would be the $10.00 fee he charges for the use of his range for the day. I think you'd be very surprised at what you would learn spending a day with a group of experienced long range shooters.

The next match is Sat and Sunday ( Aug 23 - 24 ). Spectators are welcome. Our group will be shooting on Sun. We start at 9:00 AM. The range is located a bit South and between Cambridge/Zanesville. Rayners has open range days about any day except for the third and forth weekends of the month.

Good luck with your new interest, it's not as hard as you may think and it can be done without spending obscene amounts of money but spending it on the right equipment and will have you ringing the long steel your first day out. A day spent hands on will also prepare you if you do plan on taking a class later on.

Topstrap

Last edited:
Vapor Trail with Sean Little for precision rifle will be a great start. He holds a class in PA each year. Highly recommend.

Jamie Dodson also holds classes in PA. I haven't attended, but know him to be a class act.

Head to SW VA (Wytheville) and Dan Newberry at Bang Steel. He normally teaches on Friday and Saturday. So drive down Thursday, shoot 2 days, back home on Sunday.

BangSteel Long Range Shooting School

There is also Ed Shell at Central Virginia Tactical - || Central Virginia Tactical || Precision Long Range Rifle Training || Home ||

And Peacemaker in WV. Nomad of Impact Data Books has run courses there.

+1 for bangsteel. Great teaching style, solid instruction and a really fun facility.

I second it for Sean Little and Jamie Dodson. Haven't trained with Dan Newberry, but communicated with him, and am impressed.

Mouse
NRA Life Member Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Go talk with Tom Sarver at thunder valley precision. Hrs a good guy and can teach you a lot. He has a great place ti learn at too. You can shoot the headhunter and intimidator which isn't the matches most here talk about that are super high stress where there's no time to pick up pointers or really let things soak in. He can teach you good things. You will thank me later.

Chris, I'm in the New Castle area & have access to a 600 yard range, if you want to shoot & try out some different rifles let me know.