• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Mods? need advice

redmistmd

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2010
utah
www.varmintfinders.com
So I am new here but not to shooting I am looking for some advice. I have a extremely accurate winchester Varmiknt rifle with a 26" SS barrel thats literally the size of a truck axle. Its been the heaviest rifle ive ownwed even with the 30 plus tactical/varmint style rifles ive owned but I am at a lost. as I am gettingf into the Sniper style shooiting I find myself wondering what to do with this rifle. Right now this rifle will shoot a solid hole 5 shot group at 100 yds and do it all day long but its a heavy beast. I would like it a bit shorter like 22 or even 20 ..is this going to mess upo the accuraccy of this rifle. Plus the stock is a bit big in the forearm and I really would prefer more of a pistol stylke gri with palm swell in the grip area. so do I start over or make these mods to tje exsisting rifle. again this freakin rifle shoots like ive not seen a factory rifle shoot before and with a load thats a 155 amzx going just over 3000 fps in this gun. so ayway do I leave it along...make the mods or just build a new one.

Re: Rifle Mods? need advice

this gun is just another tool.....remember a tool.....figure on what job you need done and employ the propper tool.....quit braggin on your shit and complete you profile before proceeding

It is what you want. I was in the same boat. I went out and bought a 700sps 308, and slowly started a build. If you really like how it shoots, Keep it and start a build. That is just me. I want as many rifles as I can get my paws on.

Keep us informed on where you go.

Wow that was hard to read! Bad grammar or to much whiskey? As far as the rifle goes I'd start a new build personally. Lightening it shouldn't be a problem if performed by a good smith but the question is would it be worth it?

Sounds an awful lot like one of the older (1990's) Winchester Heavy Varmint rifles to which I am VERY partial. If you think that is heavy, wait till you drop it into an A5 stock and add 2 lbs of scope to it. There are many guys here that would pay you for that rifle if it's too big for you.

Cheers,

Doc

Yes it is an older model Wincheser Varmint. Its not thats its too heavy. I am a BIG guy (6-4 295) I guess I am just looking for options from people who shoot them more often than I do.I am desireing to do it more often ands not just grab it out of the truck and lay down with it as I usually do. I am probably just going to build a new one with the specs I want and keep this one the way it is.
As for my spelling and grammar. I left my glasses at my Dads house on christmas and I am trying to get used to a new flat keyed laptop. I hate this thing its GAY yes I said GAY . My big ass fingers can barely type without typing several letters at the same time. so all those who I offended Sorry and get over it. Really?

Over on AR15.com you stated the rifle "shoots sub 1/4 inch groups at 100yds all day with 155amax loaded to 3000 fps" and I will tell you the same thing I did over there. You would be an idiot to touch anything on that rifle if it shoots that good.

Work with the rifle more and you will get used to the weight and length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmistmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes it is an older model Wincheser Varmint. Its not thats its too heavy. I am a BIG guy (6-4 295) I guess I am just looking for options from people who shoot them more often than I do.</div></div>

I'm 6"-2" and a buck 80 before I take a crap and I've humped one of them all over the mountain at ASC several years running till I upgraded the stock to an A5 right before Gastonia 08'. It didn't need an upgrade I just wanted all my sticks to have the same handle. After ~9000+ rnds it gave up the ghost at sniper school last year (sub minute, sub minute, sub minute, Minute and a half......
frown.gif
I probably would have set it back and re-chambered it had an opportunity too good to pass up came around. Play with some 175/178's or even 190's and back the speed down a touch. She will give you long and good service. Or do what Rob said.

Cheers,

Doc

After a cheek piece mod.
winnystockproj027.jpg

In action at ASC spotting another shooter's shot
clip_image002.jpg

Twin winny's
DSC00041.jpg

Cheers,

Doc

OP, it's hard to give advice about barrel length without knowing what caliber it is. Based on your claim of 3000fps with 155's at 26" I would assume it's a 300WM, in which case you probably don't want a shorter barrel or a lighter rifle. What is the twist?

Hmmmm.....then, if it's really that accurate a stick at 100 yards I would leave it at 26" and change the load only: shoot 175's with Varget or 4064 at 2680fps or so.

Thanks, Doc.

These sticks were insanely accurate for a factory piece. HS-P even got the bedding blocks straight on them but they didn't come with the double palm swell of the Remmy PSS of the same era. The tubes were Shillen or Shneider (One of the "S" makers). In mine 44.0 of Varget with a 175 or a 178 was magic in a LC Match case to about 2750fps. It would even shoot M-852 to about 800 before it went all wonky. 190's were showing significant promise with RE-17 before mine went south.

Cheers,

Doc

If it groups well, dont change it. If I were you, I would build a new one to the specs that you are now looking for. If the cost is too high, sell what you've got to fund the new one.

IMO, cutting down a barrel on a rifle that really performs is taking a chance.

Maybe I am missing something but why does he have to change his load? He has a rifle and load that shoot one hole. Why mess with anything? That load will get him to past 1000 without a problem.

Add a swivel bipod.
Add an adjustable cheek piece.
Install some flush cups.
Replace the action screws with allen heads.

That's all you need. Shoot the snot out of it and it'll come back for 2nd's of anything you can give her.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe I am missing something but why does he have to change his load? He has a rifle and load that shoot one hole. Why mess with anything? That load will get him to past 1000 without a problem. </div></div>

Barrel life.

After you swap tubes it's just another custom rifle, LOL.

Merry Christmas Rob !!!!!!

Cheers,

Doc

Yeah I guess that would be a good reason if he was worried about it. He should be able to find another load pretty easy if the rifle shoots that good. OP check out the new 178 BTHP bullets from Hornady as well as the others mentioned. Good .530 BC. Pushed by some Varget you should be able to get in the mid 2700s with it.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too. Just shoveled my driveway. Don't like this snow LOL

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. I came here looking for advice and info and I got a message ridaculing me on my grammar and spelling and I was quick to judge I really apprecite the info from the people who know such more than I do. As far as the gun Ive tried 168s, 169s, 175s and 190s and it like 155amaxs and lkikes em HOT im mloading 49gr of varget no pressure signs but yeah a bit over really weird it loves em hot I dont even know why I loaded em like that but wow it literally shoots one hole. My gunsmith looked up my paticualr numbers or something and the tube is from Schneider. Best thing about this gun is I bought it with a Bausch n lomb 6x24 scope for 600 bucks sold the scope for 375.00 so the rifle cost me 225. aint that a deal or what.
So I think I will just re stock it duracoat it and shoot the piss out of it . thanks for the pics those are awsome! Thanks for the advice It really helped

Lift weights, exercise, and train. I'm not trying to be a smart-"A" here, but why would you want to modify a rifle that shoots that well? I would personally wait until you wear out the barrel to do any modifications or get a different rifle. But just my humble opinion.

I raised 2 kids on that rifle in 243. Had a 12 year old boy put 7 out of 10 105v max on a silhouette @ 1000 with a pile of witnesses and his 14 year old sister pull her first 500+ yard groundhog kill with same.

Oh and thanks to Doc for the mounts for that rifle.

You have an excellent weapon,better than a lot of guys, Shoot the crap out of it and embarrass guys with $3500.00 sticks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmistmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am probably just going to build a new one with the specs I want and keep this one the way it is. </div></div>

That's what I'd do

I have the same rifle in 308, 26 inch SS heavy varmit barrel. I put a Harris on it, CDI DBM, AI mag, BO 20 MOA rail and rings and cleaned it up.

Shoot great and didn't cost a fortune.

Jerry