• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle ownership in Japan

seta8967

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2010
JAPAN! out of korea
I am being stationed in Japan and I keep reading that shotguns and single shot rifles are allowed to be owned in Japan. I am trying to get first hand information if it is true to own a rifle in Japan and if bolt actions are considered "single shot" by their definition. I would like to do a little hunting in Japan (I know its pricey but its a once in a lifetime). Thanks.

Re: Rifle ownership in Japan

Good luck with that. It's hard enough to get a police certificate for a sword.
eek.gif

Very tough owning a rifle in Japan. When I was stationed there '94-'97 I don't believe we could own a bolt action. On the upside, Browning's were cheap. Coulda got an O/U for $750-$800 new. Stock up.

Just remember:

Miroku (me row coo) is the shotgun;
Sako (sah Koh) is the rifle; and
Seiko (say Kow) is the watch.
grin.gif

You are a sick puppy!

I think I'm going to curl up in bed with Scotch and a book on economic history - so, yes, I'm a sick puppy, too.
laugh.gif

Economic history and Scotch: So it's a race to fall asleep, eh?
laugh.gif

I did learn one thing in Japan:

"Yes" means No;
"No" means Maybe; and
"Maybe" means Never.

Ask whether you can get an import permit for your bolt-gun. But don't get excited when you hear: "Maybe". It could be that they're just being polite. Keep in mind that everything in Japan is a process. How long are you planning to be there in order to get this done?

Yeah. My experience was that Japanese will do almost anything to avoid saying "no". Japanese <span style="font-style: italic">men</span>, anyway...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah. My experience was that Japanese will do almost anything to avoid saying "no". Japanese <span style="font-style: italic">men</span>, anyway...

</div></div>

Lol - id love to hear more about these experiences

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah. My experience was that Japanese will do almost anything to avoid saying "no". Japanese <span style="font-style: italic">men</span>, anyway...

</div></div>

Lindy,

Reread that sentence one more time. As a senior member of the hide you get only one chance to rephrase it
laugh.gif

I'll be there for 2 to 3 years. I'm in korea and not shooting a rifle is driving me nuts I want to go shoot a rifle it feels by the hour my skills are rusting and soon my little brother will out shoot me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seta8967</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in korea and not shooting a rifle is driving me nuts...</div></div>I think I speak for everyone when I say we're glad that our soldiers aren't doing much shooting in Korea.

'Careful what you wish for, there's a maniac next door to you.
laugh.gif