• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle paint

ChevyTXhunter

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2011
Trying to think of a good color for my rifle. I was thinking of OD Tan stock and black barrel and action, but paint the flutes in my barrel the same tan as the stock. What do y'all think??

Stock rifle/color of it right now:
rifle.jpg

Re: Rifle paint

for solid color, either Olive Drab (OD) or Coyote Tan would look good, Flat Dark Earth (FDE) is a good solid tan color....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joemusso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do the stock OD green or sako green and action and barrel flat black. </div></div>

I was thinking that, but I like a tan rifle more than I like a green rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for solid color, either Olive Drab (OD) or Coyote Tan would look good, Flat Dark Earth (FDE) is a good solid tan color.... </div></div>

Do you know any color that would be like a shade darker than the FDE?

Those boots do look like something one of the guys singing YMCA would wear.

But ..... I do really like the idea of painting the barrel black and making the flutes the same color as the stock. That would really look cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those boots do look like something one of the guys singing YMCA would wear.

But ..... I do really like the idea of painting the barrel black and making the flutes the same color as the stock. That would really look cool. </div></div>

they were really just there to hold the rifle... but thanks?

My savage has a tan stock w/ a black barrel, action, trigger guard. Looks good. I wouldn't paint the flutes different colors... that's just me though.

What type of paint? Duracoat has about 12 FDEs and numerous other tans, them being so chic right now. You'd think every gun owner lived in the desert. I went with Leupold FDE its not as dark as I thought it'd be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What type of paint? Duracoat has about 12 FDEs and numerous other tans, them being so chic right now. You'd think every gun owner lived in the desert. I went with Leupold FDE its not as dark as I thought it'd be. </div></div>

Idk, I was thinkin like Krylon. My neighbor did his in tan camo, and his brothers in OD green camo with Krylon and they turned out pretty decent.

if you want your paint job to last and endure abuse in the field use dura-coat.
just my two cents.

thank you
joe

It's true krylon doesn't hold up as well as duracoat. I have a Vanguard that I painted about four years ago that is ready for some touchup. I think the best way to go is start out with Krylon and see how you like it, if its the look you want you can always strip it down (comes off easily with brake cleaner) and do it in Duracoat permanently. If you start with the Duracoat and don't like it it is a PITA to remove.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: predatornut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's true krylon doesn't hold up as well as duracoat. I have a Vanguard that I painted about four years ago that is ready for some touchup. I think the best way to go is start out with Krylon and see how you like it, if its the look you want you can always strip it down (comes off easily with brake cleaner) and do it in Duracoat permanently. If you start with the Duracoat and don't like it it is a PITA to remove. </div></div>

Haha thanks. Thats probably what I'll do.

Krylon may not stick to that shiny stainless at all really. I do like it though for not really be out anything if it gets damaged or you want to change it. Its what my AR and a couple stocks wear. Limits the camo colors a little. If you like your idea, run with it, the flutes will look good with the contrast matching the stock. I personally don't care for solid colors on stocks, but its not my rifle. Have fun, lets see some after photos

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Krylon may not stick to that shiny stainless at all really. I do like it though for not really be out anything if it gets damaged or you want to change it. Its what my AR and a couple stocks wear. Limits the camo colors a little. If you like your idea, run with it, the flutes will look good with the contrast matching the stock. I personally don't care for solid colors on stocks, but its not my rifle. Have fun, lets see some after photos </div></div>

Yeah i'll look more into it probably end of this month since deer season is still going on i don't have a free weekend really. But i will definentely put up some pictures when ever i get it done.