• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle primers

It's not a spin; if people buy above their use rate for fear of a hypothetical, that will make that hypothetical a reality.
Maybe, maybe not...I haven't bought a primer in over a year. I doubt I had much influence. Come to think about, I don't think I have have bought new primer off the shelf in 5 years...estate sales, garage sales, word of mouth gets stuff done if you have patience.

Regardless....I am past the point of caring what the market does, I have enough to take care of me.

Where is everyone buying primers from? I’ve been actively searching and come up dry. Please help. Just purchased a new 300 PRC from Christensen Arms and I don’t have anything to put down the pipe

I'm in Michigan mail me I might be able to help

I feel like a lot of people typing in this thread were not around in 1999, 2001, 2008, 2013, etc. or don't pay attention on how 'stocks' are bought and sold.
I think it is even simpler than that...so many shooters go buy a hundred primers, a hundred bullets, and a pound of powder, and shoot til its gone. They somehow think everyone should do the same, so they can keep doing what they are doing.

Last edited:
It's not a spin; if people buy above their use rate for fear of a hypothetical, that will make that hypothetical a reality.

Bottom line some of us saw this shitstorm coming and prepared accordingly. Whether or not that drives some hypothesis into reality is zero concern to me.

I might start unloading some primers at market price, since I have enough LRP to last me this and two more presidencies.

Bottom line some of us saw this shitstorm coming and prepared accordingly. Whether or not that drives some hypothesis into reality is zero concern to me.

I might start unloading some primers at market price, since I have enough LRP to last me this and two more presidencies.
What about a few at normal price to your friends?🙂

I am assuming your looking for large rifle magnum primers I have not seen any of those yet , personally Id try to reload my own if there was no other choices open the best results it works and you can get more of the still listed as children's toy items still way below prices for primers online I was able to get 35000 for under 50 dollars and free shipping a sweet deal if it works . there are video's with people using strike all matches could be another option . good luck which ever or what ever you decide to do .

prior to March 2020 we would transfer maybe 5-10 firearms a week.
Now we’re at 6-10 a day with over 40% never owning a firearm.

We’ve transferred more firearms this year then the past 5yrs combined.
A good friend of mine here in South Florida owns a gunshop a few blocks from my office so I drop in a few times a week. Without fail, the 30-45 minutes I'm there, 3-8 people that have never owned firearms come in to try and purchase one. I thought it was bad back in 08 and 12-13 but this is something else.

Reactions: trophyhunter
So why is Canada not experiencing as much of a shortage? I mean, I know they can't ship to the US, and they're still high, but still.

1611719368244.png

1611719398821.png

1611719537196.png

Because by and far, Canadians don't own guns, let alone reload. We DWARF their numbers in comparison to the US.

Don't worry, Canada will soon experience a shortage. They are generally 6 months behind.

Trade you straight up for small pistol primers
Just did that a few weeks back at a gun show..................small pistol for large rifle. No interest in dealing with 250$ for 1k, sell them and buy again at a stupid price. FYI, there weren't a lot available at this particular show, and I expected there would be. I'm seeing this being a year or more for primers.

A few people have mentioned what happened in 12-13. I remember well the " assault weapon ban" in 1994. That made Glock 17 mags worth 125$ and put thumbhole stocks on AK's.

Sandy Hook was different, ( December 2012) there was a run on everything, and it sure seems most people in the game remember well! I believe that is what started the hoarding you see now. But I don't necessarily think it's wrong. The fellow above stated he has been stocking up for years, nothing wrong with that. Buying 1K extra primers a month gets you 12,000 in a year, every week gets you 52,000.

What I have a problem with are the douchebags waiting in line at you name it sporting goods, loading up and getting a table at the local gun show on the weekend! Some stores limit you, some don't. You also hear about the internet " bots" buying up everything there is. I have no clue what a bot is or does, but I just bought a few mags from PSA and you have to pick boats out of a series of pictures to prove you aren't one. I must have passed??????

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was able to pick some small pistol primers for normal prices. At $4.99 per 100. It's out there just have to keep an eye out for it. No I'm not reselling anything to take advantage of people. They had about 25 k in different primers.

I was trading LR&LP for .22--1 for 1...all set,so now I'm trying LR for Trail Boss...and this is just the beginning of the diaspora.

Problem is a lot of people try to take advantage of you not having it. If people who had abundance would help others out that make this easier. Gun broker is a joke.
Actually been doing something on GB that works, albeit initially painful. I win an auction for something I need, like Primers or Powder, paying extortion-level pricing to win. Then in the checkout communication phase, I ask if the seller has more they'd like to part with, which they usually do since most sellers "meter" their high-demand stuff and sell one-at-a-time. I then negotiate to buy more, at lower prices. Still high, but follow on sales are usually closer to "expensive" than to "extortion". I've bought 6,000 Large Rifle Primers that way, and several jugs of my preferred powders. Pay big, make a friend, pay less for more stuff. It saves the seller on GB commissions, gets them money faster, and takes less of their time advertising and processing. It's worked for me as I'm now well-supplied for the next couple of years ... hopefully enough to survive until "normal" returns (whenever that is).

I have a friend that works for the local Cabelas. When he receives new product (powder, primers, etc) he calls me and asks if I need anything. If I do, he hides it for me so I can swing in and pick it up.

Go befriend your local sporting goods retail worker. It may work to your advantage. ;)
That does work.

Problem is a lot of people try to take advantage of you not having it. If people who had abundance would help others out that make this easier. Gun broker is a joke.

......or you could have bought an abundance when they were available.

This isn’t the first or the last time this has happened. At this point, it’s your own fault if you are in a position where you’re being “taken advantage” of.

This isn’t the first or the last time this has happened. At this point, it’s your own fault if you are in a position where you’re being “taken advantage” of.
Or someone got into reloading recently and didn’t go out and buy the whole store yet.

Where is everyone buying primers from? I’ve been actively searching and come up dry. Please help. Just purchased a new 300 PRC from Christensen Arms and I don’t have anything to put down the pipe.
I just go "shopping" in my Dad's garage...I've found more primers, powder brass and bullets than I, my brother or nephew will ever use... Thanks Dad for being such a hoarder!

Or someone got into reloading recently and didn’t go out and buy the whole store yet.

Same same, tough shit

I've heard this lots of times before even here:
  1. I don't have time (make time)
  2. I don't have enough room (throw shit away)
  3. My time is worth more (how's that working out now)
etc etc etc

So sorry that will be $350 per thou

Reactions: NiteQwill
Called my local reloading shop today. They told me a number of powders are getting “banned from importation” due to chemicals that don’t meet current regulations or something, so they don’t even know *if* they will ever even get any in, and if they do it’s going to be $400+ a keg.

This is why we have shortages. People like this spreading rumors creating panic.

Reactions: Another Casual
Called my local reloading shop today. They told me a number of powders are getting “banned from importation” due to chemicals that don’t meet current regulations or something, so they don’t even know *if* they will ever even get any in, and if they do it’s going to be $400+ a keg.

This is why we have shortages. People like this spreading rumors creating panic.
It was a good while ago when I was still competing at American skeet and reloading a lot of shot shells.....suddenly couldn't get Hornady powder and it turns out that their plant in AUS burned or blew up. I would assume this effected rifle powder also

Been through this before...if I live long enough then I expect to see it again.

Same same, tough shit

I've heard this lots of times before even here:
  1. I don't have time (make time)
  2. I don't have enough room (throw shit away)
  3. My time is worth more (how's that working out now)
etc etc etc

So sorry that will be $350 per thou
Amen....my favorite are those "buddies" who I haven't heard from in a a year. They get real offended when they need components, and want them at the price they used to be.

Sorry, buddy, what they cost and what they are worth are two different things.

More new shooters this year than ever before - cant fault them if they werent into the hobby before this mess

Reactions: BeardedNewGuy
So if I buy a bunch of water and place it in a cistern in case my rural water stops pumping i’ll Create a drought?

That’s a crap analogy but it’ll do.

Unless one wants or needs to make a career out of finding primers there are none to be had at this point in history. Hopefully it'll come back but it'll be a while.

VooDoo

Funny. I just picked some up today from powder valley. 🤷‍♂️

Like the man said, you just have to check daily. Eventually you get lucky.

Reactions: NiteQwill
I ordered 50,000 F210Ms from Brownells today. Made it through the whole process and got the confirmation email. About a half hour later I got the cancellation. :)
How many months will it take to shoot 50,000 rounds?

I saw on reddit that the Robinhood app is no longer taking new sell orders but you can still bid. Primers are going to $5,000 each. $PRMR