• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Photos Rifle Range picture - Need some help

Arch

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2007
fake
www.chinesefortunecalendar.com
url]

Re: Rifle Range picture - Need some help

Any answers, thoughts, suggestions are appreciated. What year? Where was picture taken? What kind of unit/rifle etc? At first I thought I knew but then thought maybe a Win A5, and then I saw the cav boots and spur. Is that mesquite in the background?

Thanks.

Well, I was not in the service but the two guys just right of the water tower in the background look truly ah, pissed. My $ is on the guy on the left. Where did you get the photo? Hats, not helmets...hmmm. My grandfather wore a hat like that in a photo in 1917 US army, so I will say 1917.

Pissed off that is, not UK pissed...

look at the scopes on the rifles. thats some old school optics. that may narrow it down a little. how long since that style of cap was issue? i was reading a history of sniping and rifles in the american military and remember them talking about taking sniper fire. they called for support and said two sgt's came walk up wearing their "smoky the bears" and took care of the sniper

I don't think they are Marines... they didn't have hat cords on their campaign hats then but the Army did and it appears there are cords on many of the hats. The closest rifle appear to me to be M1903 rifle, not a M1903A3. The M1903A3 wasn't made until late 1942/early 1943 and this is much earlier then that, I'd guess the 1920's.

I think the first guy is using iron sights and it looks like the spotting scope to his left is an optic on the rifle. Not sure what the second guy is shooting for a rifle, looks not to be a military rifle, no barrel bands and appears to have a slick top instead of wood. That rifle is scoped...

The first rifle appears to be a 1903 Springfield. The 03's had that finger grove in the side of the stock. Looking at the second rifle it made me realize that he is looking through a tubular spotting scope. Which makes me believe the first rifleman is shooting irons..

It might be the Marine Corps Base Quantico around 1917? That was the training area back then. They wore Smokey theBear covers back then and used the Springfield M1917. Looks alot like them.

They are all shooting the springfield 1903 this is a cavalry unit and it looks to be the southwest. Also, this picture was taken before the 1920's because everyone has the leather leggings. In fact enlisted personnel were issued the canvass legging just before WWI. Also, look at the officer wearing the officer's hat it is the early style that was changed in the 1920's. If you look closely you can just make out the cavalry mounts in the back ground.

Need more info.

1. Where did the picture come from?
2. Is there anything on the back of the photo?
3. Was it with any other simular photos?

First rifle is a 1903A1 with finger groove stock.
On top of the fifth post back appears to be a 1917 Enfield as it looks like the ears and front sight for one.

This was a shooting team and not just qualifications. I have seen the rifle team range boxes (right next to ammo crate) before. Some were wood and some were leather.
The second rifle down (pointing up in air) might be a Springfield T Model 03, they had long target barrels and it has a vintage scope on it.

Does not appear to be Camp Perry as I have seen old pics taken there in early 1900s.

The rifle between the range box and the ammo crate appears to be a KRAG as it is a classic KRAG bolt design.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1ZNUF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't that R. Lee Ermey on the first firing postion?
grin.gif
</div></div>

lol, looks like it

I think that photo was taken before the Great War (WWI); or perhaps right after. I believe that is a Winchester A5 scope on the first rifle. I agree, this photo is of a rifle competition, not unit qualification. The national matches were conducted at Ft. Riley, Kansas at least one year early in the 20th century, before they were permanently moved to Camp Perry. Wonder if that's where this one was taken?

A neat old photo, at any rate!

ETA: I posted a link to this thread on the CSP forums at Jouster.com; perhaps the guys there can help.

Find a camp perry photograph - reason I say this is because they are known to have towers all over the place such as this place does.

My bet is camp perry - but then why are there instructors hanging out?

Cool pic.

So far, we have it placed to AFTER 1910, because the style of campaign hat changed then, and both the 'old' and 'new' styles are visible in the pic. The leather puttees also date it to pre-WWI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any answers, thoughts, suggestions are appreciated. What year? Where was picture taken? What kind of unit/rifle etc? At first I thought I knew but then thought maybe a Win A5, and then I saw the cav boots and spur. Is that mesquite in the background?

Thanks. </div></div>

Those are Army troops firing M1903 Springfields, many with Winchester A5 scopes. The location is unknown to me or anyone else I know. It is a military picture and not a public or Marine facility. The rifle in the foreground has a heavy barrel as well as some other modifications, which is indicative of being a match rifle. Ditto the second rifle.

What makes the picture interesting is the presence on so many Winchester A5 scopes on Army rifles. The Calvary presence indicates an inter-Army match or practice for match.

If anyone can determine the base range location, I would like to know.

Jim

I sent a copy off to the right folks at the Smithsonian and the NFM when this first posted, they agreed with all that you said and they too were unable to suggest a location. Off it goes to West Point, lets see what comes back.

I am not sure if that is a Winchester A5 scope. Look at the length on the 1903. It only appears to be about half an arm length. In the picture the scope went 3/4 of the way up the rifle.

I could be wrong, but that is my 2 cents. You might look at the generation before the A5.