• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Recommendation New To Long Distance Shooting

Back to the subject at hand. If fun shooting is what the OP is after and he can afford it, a nice custom rifle in 6.5 CM with a better than average scope to extra nice scope is in order. If the OP even hints at dreaming of competition, something like an RPR in 6 CM to get his feet wet without dropping a fortune so, that when he is sure of what he wants, he won’t have a fortune invested in something that will no longer be of any use.

To eveyone else

Owned two Savages in my lifetime. Both were shooters. The Savage Sport Striker shot my way into Triple A class in small bore. Probably would still own it but its preferred ammo was discontinued by Federal. Second was a custom Savage Striker in .223. It was a true tack driver. Built it for Brenda as a low recoil IHMSA gun. It was built like a tank, I shot a couple of great scores with it myself. However, it was too heavy for her and she took my half scale gun.

Our son liked Savage rifles because of the readily available left handed actions. The very first one I purchased him when he was a teenager, he still has and it is on its third barrel (now a 6.5x284 Norma) multiple stocks, and is still one of the best shooters we own.

Sadly some of the later Savages not so good. But Brenda is shooting one of his custom Savages, barreled in .223 and she’s been good out to 700 yards. Yep its a lefty, and she’s a righty but she still is putting the shots where they need to be.

If it were mine, I would make some changes, but she is happy with it. (Still, probably going to get a better scope, a better bipod and a good brake, having shot this little rifle myself, it begs for a brake. )

So, if you don’t like Savages, Fine, but don’t discount others.

9B7F2DE0-9936-4AD8-BED4-2BE011A8968E.jpeg
CBFEA8D5-BDC9-49BB-84DE-4F30DA120D66.jpeg

4k is a hell of a rifle. I'd probably go with American Rifle Company Mausingfield rifle. Their website only offer the rifle in right hand, but you may be able to order the rifle in left hand. Only thing left to get is a nice bipod, whatever scope you want.

I have a pile of custom rigs, like nice things, as it sounds you do. 100% go with an action that has prefit compatability. Since you don't handload, pick a cartridge that has the largest amount of available match ammo. That says creedmoor of 6 or 65 variety. Due to the shorter barrel life in 6mm, I'd recommend 65. My suggestions:
-Lone peak fuzion or impact 737
-Bna Tacsport trigger
-Kreiger/Bartlein/hawkhill m24 mtu or hvy varm barrel in 7.5 or 8tw cut with 5/8x24 threads
-apa lil bastard gen3 brake
-Chassis is a personal choice, go to a match and get behind some, I personally prefer xlr envy pro, the newest mdt elite is also good. The AI atx aics Chassis is quality too. I definitely prefer something with a lot of adjustment, a long forend, lowest possible bore height to arca rail dimensions. Lot of guys like the matrix pro and krg C4.

Glass is total personal choice, a zco 527 is the best you can get under $4k, however the 7-35 ATACR, S3 6-36 and gen3 razor are excellent options at lower price points. At this point you also need get behind some and find the reticle that gives you the warm fuzzies inside. I like a reticle with 0.2 subtensions as well as a half mil hash. The mk5hd pr2 mil reticle is good, and it's a lower price option but gives up a little in glass quality VS the previous stated.

Mount, I definitely prefer the arc mbrace, and spuhr mounts.

Send-it level

AG shmedium game changer heavy fill bag.

Ckyepod standard with rrs arca/Pic qd lever mount.

It's difficult, as I've ran through that progression of shooting matches through 4 years, I've found I prefer control round feed and mechanical blade ejection so have gravitated mainly towards Zermatt and ARC actions. However this is a total personal preference, my brass gets beaten up less with minimal to no neck deformation upon ejection and this is better for my brass prep/reloading process. Totally a personal preference. There are a ton of options out there, and it's likely this rifle will start a costly venture of buying and trying out different setups. My first custom was on an origin action, then acquired a few impacts and a fuzion, then went to a nucleus g2, then a archimedes, sold the impacts but still have the fuzion. Still have my first origin too.

Back to the subject at hand. If fun shooting is what the OP is after and he can afford it, a nice custom rifle in 6.5 CM with a better than average scope to extra nice scope is in order. If the OP even hints at dreaming of competition, something like an RPR in 6 CM to get his feet wet without dropping a fortune so, that when he is sure of what he wants, he won’t have a fortune invested in something that will no longer be of any use.

To eveyone else

Owned two Savages in my lifetime. Both were shooters. The Savage Sport Striker shot my way into Triple A class in small bore. Probably would still own it but its preferred ammo was discontinued by Federal. Second was a custom Savage Striker in .223. It was a true tack driver. Built it for Brenda as a low recoil IHMSA gun. It was built like a tank, I shot a couple of great scores with it myself. However, it was too heavy for her and she took my half scale gun.

Our son liked Savage rifles because of the readily available left handed actions. The very first one I purchased him when he was a teenager, he still has and it is on its third barrel (now a 6.5x284 Norma) multiple stocks, and is still one of the best shooters we own.

Sadly some of the later Savages not so good. But Brenda is shooting one of his custom Savages, barreled in .223 and she’s been good out to 700 yards. Yep its a lefty, and she’s a righty but she still is putting the shots where they need to be.

If it were mine, I would make some changes, but she is happy with it. (Still, probably going to get a better scope, a better bipod and a good brake, having shot this little rifle myself, it begs for a brake. )

So, if you don’t like Savages, Fine, but don’t discount others.

View attachment 8153216View attachment 8153218

4k is a hell of a rifle. I'd probably go with American Rifle Company Mausingfield rifle. Their website only offer the rifle in right hand, but you may be able to order the rifle in left hand. Only thing left to get is a nice bipod, whatever scope you want.
Right. with the OP`s stated budget, I don`t know why he would even contemplate fooling around with Savage, Bergara, Remington, or even ( Gasp! Blasphemy ! ) a Tikka.

I'm kinda leaning towards AI, maybe the AXSA or AT, with the military discount through Eurooptic it seems like a good way to go for what I'm looking for. I prefer a folding stock but not a necessity. I have decided that I definitely want to be able to switch out barrels to shoot different calibers in the future, haven't fully decided on what caliber yet. Leaning towards 6.5CM since I'm new at it and ammo availibility but guys I talk to at my local gun shops all tell me to get something else. I am going to talk to a couple of companies about building one also, haven't ruled that option out but leaning towards an AI.

Reactions: mrmarklin
Leaning towards 6.5CM since I'm new at it and ammo availability but guys I talk to at my local gun shops all tell me to get something else.
1) Beware your local gun shop hero. 95% of those guys have never landed anything at 1100 yards. Listen (maybe even respectfully), and then do some thinking about what you hear and where it came from.

2) You have some great advice throughout this forum. I was super active when I first joined, and then started doing 10 to 100x reading and very little posting. I got a lot better at shooting when I did this...

3a) If that's 4k just for the rifle then an AI AT-X offers the calibers you are talking about easily.

3b) If you wanted something in an AI Chassis (like an AT or AX), you could get into an action around the 1k mark and have the satisfaction - and fun - of endlessly researching every component and then engaging a smith like LRI or doing it yourself with the right components and experience. There are a million threads around here for actions in that range, like ARC's new Coup de Grace, Zemmatt's TL3, and others in the $900 to $1300 range.

With these high quality actions you can then do pre-fit barrels that are still fantastic quality.
And then add a quality trigger and bipod (people here swear by Atlas and some others, but a harris will get you started and you can easily upgrade that later).

Let me help you ask yourself two questions:
What external ballistic performance do you want from your cartridge and how much are you willing to spend to get that profile? That will drive your cartridge choice. 6.5 Creed and 6 Creed are both readily available in AI builds.

Do you want something that you look at and its worth the money and time to pick every piece and then assemble or have them assembled? Or do just want something right when you have the money together to buy and ship?

Fast: Get your AI
Personal Ownership: Choose an action and chassis. Then research everything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: The D
1) Beware your local gun shop hero. 95% of those guys have never landed anything at 1100 yards. Listen (maybe even respectfully), and then do some thinking about what you hear and where it came from.

2) You have some great advice throughout this forum. I was super active when I first joined, and then started doing 10 to 100x reading and very little posting. I got a lot better at shooting when I did this...

3a) If that's 4k just for the rifle then an AI AT-X offers the calibers you are talking about easily.

3b) If you wanted something in an AI Chassis (like an AT or AX), you could get into an action around the 1k mark and have the satisfaction - and fun - of endlessly researching every component and then engaging a smith like LRI to do your build. There are a million threads around here for actions in that range, like ARC's new Coup de Grace, Zemmatt's TL3, and others in the $900 to $1300 range.

With these high quality actions you can then do pre-fit barrels that are still fantastic quality.
And then add a quality trigger and bipod (people here swear by Atlas and some others, but a harris will get you started and you can easily upgrade that later).

Let me help you ask yourself two questions:
What external ballistic performance do you want from your cartridge and how much are you willing to spend to get that profile? That will drive your cartridge choice. 6.5 Creed and 6 Creed are both readily available in AI builds.

Do you want something that you look at and its worth the money and time to pick every piece and then assemble or have them assembled? Or do just want something right when you have the money together to buy and ship?

Fast: Get your AI
Personal Ownership: Choose an action and chassis. Then research everything else.
Thanks for the info and advice. Yes, I agree on what you stated about my local guns shop guys, I'm not letting them influence my decision much at all but was willing to have a discussion with them. I may, and probably will, get in to reloading in the future but thinking that'll be a couple of years down the road most likely. I tend to shoot quite a bit on every other type of shooting I do so want good barrel life with the option to add a barrel of a different caliber with less concern about barrel life on that particular barrel.

I have been reading a lot on this forum and will continue to do so before I make a final decision. I'm going to a match this weekend so hopefully will get a chance to check some options out. I'm not a very patient person, travel quite a bit, which is why I am leaning towards a nice built rifle but will get a better feel I think after talking to couple of companies about building one. Appreciate all of the info, open to all of it.

Reactions: Oddball Six
I'm kinda leaning towards AI, maybe the AXSA or AT, with the military discount through Eurooptic it seems like a good way to go for what I'm looking for. I prefer a folding stock but not a necessity. I have decided that I definitely want to be able to switch out barrels to shoot different calibers in the future, haven't fully decided on what caliber yet. Leaning towards 6.5CM since I'm new at it and ammo availibility but guys I talk to at my local gun shops all tell me to get something else. I am going to talk to a couple of companies about building one also, haven't ruled that option out but leaning towards an AI.
You may want to consider the ATX and get the folding hinge when they are available. I love my ATX and the ability to change calibers in 2 minutes.

You may want to consider the ATX and get the folding hinge when they are available. I love my ATX and the ability to change calibers in 2 minutes.
Thanks, I was just watching a video on the ATX on Milehigh and was kinda thinking the same thing. I work in Denver every other month so may rent a car and visit Milehigh.

I went to visit DI Precision I Brenham ,TX yesterday and walked out with a new gun. Derek at DI spent a lot of time going over everything with me and my son and he just happened to have everything there. :oops: I was looking at their Leupold scopes and trying to narrow down exactly what I wanted and asked him about Nightforce which I'm a little familiar with since I own one already. He mentioned he had one ZCO and asked me if I wanted to see it which I did. Took both outside and spent some time comparing the two scopes and immediately preferred the ZCO though the Leupold was very good also, more than good enough for me, but my son and I both preferred the ZCO.

I had no intention of walking out with a new rifle, really didn't think they'd have one available. We left, called my wife, and went back and ended up getting it. The ZCO put me over what I wanted to spend and after going back and forth I went with the ZCO 5-27. I think the scope stressed me out more than anything but just preferred the ZCO. I had never seen one, wasn't even familiar with them a couple of weeks ago, but as stated by some they are pretty incredible. Weather was pretty bad with storms but was able to shoot 20 rounds and get it pretty close to sighted in but need to fine tune it. Pretty excited and lots of learning to do and appreciate everyones help.

MPA Matrix Pro Chassis
Bartlein Barrel 6.5CM
Impact Precision action
TT Diamond trigger
ZCO 5-27x56 with Spuhr Mount
Tuner Brake

I went to visit DI Precision I Brenham ,TX yesterday and walked out with a new gun. Derek at DI spent a lot of time going over everything with me and my son and he just happened to have everything there. :oops: I was looking at their Leupold scopes and trying to narrow down exactly what I wanted and asked him about Nightforce which I'm a little familiar with since I own one already. He mentioned he had one ZCO and asked me if I wanted to see it which I did. Took both outside and spent some time comparing the two scopes and immediately preferred the ZCO though the Leupold was very good also, more than good enough for me, but my son and I both preferred the ZCO.

I had no intention of walking out with a new rifle, really didn't think they'd have one available. We left, called my wife, and went back and ended up getting it. The ZCO put me over what I wanted to spend and after going back and forth I went with the ZCO 5-27. I think the scope stressed me out more than anything but just preferred the ZCO. I had never seen one, wasn't even familiar with them a couple of weeks ago, but as stated by some they are pretty incredible. Weather was pretty bad with storms but was able to shoot 20 rounds and get it pretty close to sighted in but need to fine tune it. Pretty excited and lots of learning to do and appreciate everyones help.

MPA Matrix Pro Chassis
Bartlein Barrel 6.5CM
Impact Precision action
TT Diamond trigger
Tuner Brake
Didn’t happen without pictures

MPA Matrix Pro Chassis
Bartlein Barrel 6.5CM
Impact Precision action
TT Diamond trigger
Tuner Brake

Sometimes the best decisions are not planned. Great choices on all! And, yes. We need pics... :cool:

IMG_1828.jpeg

Definitely excited though I did wake up a couple of times thinking it wasn’t the brightest financial decision I’ve made but could be doing worse things and life is short.

Going to get a lesson or two on long range shooting at some point with Derek at DI, figure it might be cheaper in the long run. Doing a lot of reading and watching videos when time allows.

They didn’t have a new tuner brake so they are going to ship me one when they get it and gave me a slightly used one to use in the meantime.

Attachments

• IMG_1829.jpeg
    IMG_1829.jpeg
    948.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1827.jpeg
    IMG_1827.jpeg
    751.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Definitely excited though I did wake up a couple of times thinking it wasn’t the brightest financial decision I’ve made but could be doing worse things and life is short.

Going to get a lesson or two on long range shooting at some point with Derek at DI, figure it might be cheaper in the long run. Doing a lot of reading and watching videos when time allows.

They didn’t have a new tuner brake so they are going to ship me one when they get it and gave me a slightly used one to use in the meantime.
As Chris1972 said, the only way youll regret it is if you dont use it. Get 100 rounds and go to the match on Saturday, put it to good use. Youll find there there are 100 people there with similarly expensive rifles and none of them regret it.

Reactions: C130
Savage shooters don't post often because they are compassionate and are very aware that posting here will shatter the fragile ego's of most of the high dollar rifle fondlers when the "who can spend the most money on a rifle" circle jerk is interrupted.
If your just dipping your toes in the water, Why spend $10k on a custom left hand rig that might get used once and awhile ?
Of course Savage has a precision Ambi ( that means it can be used right or left handed ) rifle that will shoot bug holes for less.
I've spent a lot of $$ recently and never got invited to the circle jerk :(

Reactions: shoots100
I've spent a lot of $$ recently and never got invited to the circle jerk :(
Obviously not enough, so you should start multiple threads bashing Savage rifles and Remington 700 factory triggers to get their attention.
Maybe MOA second focal scopes too !
OP- Very nice rig, hope to see some range reports from you and your son in the near future.

SJC

Reactions: TheDude219
View attachment 8158888

Congrats!! That rig should pretty much hit whatever you`re shooting at!!

I'd like to eventual get
@C130 that's a great setup - don't think about the $$.

Now you can start with the reloading discussion ;)

Thanks everyone. I’d like to eventually get in to reloading but that’ll be a while.

I went to a match yesterday to just watch and learn a few things and enjoyed it. Lots of great people who were willing to help others out and give advice.

Thanks, I certainly don't want to waste any money and prefer to spend less, rather than more, but want to get something where I won't want to upgrade in the near future also. I've had a bad habit of that in the past so trying to avoid that for now.:ROFLMAO:

I do want to take my time and do plenty of research before making any decisions. Most everyone I have met at the range has been more than willing to help but I'm so new to it I don't know enough to really ask much but I'm reading and trying to learn as much as I can for now. Appreciate all of the info.

I live in Magnolia, looks like you're in Houston. Just joined CCC in Navasota.
For what it's worth, you don't need to spend nearly that much Yes, for about 12:00 bucks. You can get in the Bergera in 6.5 creed. More that will Hit a 10 inch Circle at a 1000 yd all day. I just bought one for that amount in 7 mm. PRC that should get me out to a mile

As to a scope. I put on a track 4 by 25 by 50. That will take you to a mile 1500 bucks so for under 3 grand. You can be hitting a mile. As long as you do your part laugh out loud

Reactions: stevieb92
For what it's worth, you don't need to spend nearly that much Yes, for about 12:00 bucks. You can get in the Bergera in 6.5 creed. More that will Hit a 10 inch Circle at a 1000 yd all day. I just bought one for that amount in 7 mm. PRC that should get me out to a mile

As to a scope. I put on a track 4 by 25 by 50. That will take you to a mile 1500 bucks so for under 3 grand. You can be hitting a mile. As long as you do your part laugh out loud
Now this is a perfect example of a speech-to-text attempt lol

Wow! All day? Wonder why we don’t see any of these 10” all-day 1000 yard rigs at the f class Nationals and SWN Open podium.
I dunno, I was hitting it at the last class I took and I'm strictly a jack leg grade shooter. That was with a mostly stock Remington 700.

Maybe it was luck, but my real point is you dont need to spend 4K on a rifle and 5K on glass un less youre shitting $100 bills.

I’m enjoying the rifle and don’t regret getting the ZCO one bit though it was expensive. I bought my son a left handed, never shot, MPA rifle from a guy on here and love shooting his rifle also. It has a pretty cheap Vortex scope on it and for the money I’m pretty impressed with it but will eventually replace it. it’s in MOA, mine is Mils. But, every time I look through the ZCO I‘m glad I bought it.

The rifle is much better than I am and I definitely need to get some lessons. I’ve had some great guys at the range that have been great in helping me learn also. Wind kicks my ass and it seems every day I go shoot it’s windy. :oops:

Now, I’m trying to decide on a suppressor and I’ve been reading some threads on here. Seems TBAC and Abel are pretty highly regarded. I have a couple of Deadair suppressors, one is a Nomad that I like. Silencer Shop appears to be sold out of all of the TBAC suppressors.

Last edited:
Wind kicks my ass and it seems every day I go shoot it’s windy. :oops:
You’re not alone in that! The only way to get gooder at shooting in the wind… is to shoot when it’s windy. Embrace the suck.