• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Rifle Scopes for newbs...

Sooter76

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2012
Lincoln, NE
I've been wanting to get into long-range shooting for some time and am just now finally starting to save some money to put together a starter rig. However, I have to admit that all my experience has been relegated to iron sights, red dots, and ACOGs. With that in mind I'm looking for some advice on a decent starter scope to learn on. I don't want a piece of junk but I'm not looking to break the bank yet either... Essentially I want something to get me started and to learn on that will eventially be replaced after I've developed some skill in the basics.

Basically what should I be looking for in terms of features and if anyone can offer some suggestions on a starter scope I'd be appreciative. Thanks!

Bushnell 3200 or SWFA Super Sniper 10X would be where I would start. Investing in good glass is never a mistake. Thus buy the best quality you can afford. As such what do you consider "breaking the bank"? You have to remember that some of the guys around here put Schmidt & Bender on their 22s.

What is the number you have set on price range? I would say the same as Longshot38. And if you have a bit more funds might want to take a look at the SWFA 3-15 a lot of features for the money. Weaver 3-15 might be another. Also SWFA is made in Japan I'm not sure about the Weaver though from what I remember it might be Japan too.

Oh and make sure you get a scope that is MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL will make it easier on you......

Hard to beat $299 for a SWFA SS in 10x, 12x, 16x, or 20x. I like fixed power scopes & these are built like Fort Knox.

SWFA SS

Fixed 10X is $300

3-15X42 is $700 new AND is a first focal plane scope (killer deal)

I'm with most in this thread about SWFA. I have their 10x and 3-15, both in MIL/MIL, and really like the scope. If SWFA ever decides to make a spotter with a MIL reticle, I would pay up front and just wait for it.

The SS 3-9x42 is a great piece too (but with fixed parallax), and often overlooked in favor of the 3-15x42. It has a few little features I like a bit better, but both are top value contenders. The Vortex 2.5-10x32 is another rockin value for a do-it-all scope that adds illumination and zero stop.

Bushnell 10x mil/mil from Midway. Simple and effective.

I have beat the hell out of several without any failures.