• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Shipping Issue - Local PO

doubled

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2011
North Texas
We have been thru this before, 100 times, a unlicensed person MAY send a rifle or a shotgun thru the USPS providing you comply with the GCA.

<span style="font-weight: bold">"Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e."</span>

Normally I go out of my way to avoid idiots but I simply can not let this one go. I've tried to mail a long-gun thru my local USPS office 3 times, and each time I am met with a hostile, defensive and aggressive douchnozzle who immediately threatens to call the police on me and tells me I am going to federal prison.

Between his tyrant I try to politely tell him that he is correct, that only a FFL can ship a firearm that is concealable, however a long-gun or shotgun, unloaded, is within my legal right.

I have also brought to him printed documentation from the ATF website as it related to a "unlicensed person" sending a firearm indicating that it is within my legal right to do so, as you do not need to be a FFL.

I have proven to him, that the destination address is indeed a licensed FFL dealer and also tried to educate him that within the state's boundaries I can ship to a unlicensed person. I was shipping out of state though, and indeed to a FFL.

The third time I politely told him to call the police when he threatened to do so. He did. The police came and talked to me outside and they said, and i am paraphrasing, that I was right, however they have no authority to force the post office to allow me to ship that rifle, and that I should just go use USPS or FEDEX hub locations. That is not convenient for me.

I have also filed a complaint with the consumer affairs division, but that is going to go nowhere.

20 miles away, there is another post office, I can ship a rifle there, no problems. I have explained this issue to him and asked for guidance on how to educate my local douchenozzle and he said "just come to my store, you can't fix stupid sometimes"

not a great answer.

Each office seems to just do and act as they interpret the law and the organization seems to disjointed that i can't get get advice from one reasonable guy on how to deal with my local jack-hole.

What other documents exist that you know of, that i can bring to my local PO and get him to understand that its my right to ship a gun? It's more a matter of principle for me now to get this guy to allow me to ship a gun. I live .8 miles from this PO so even though there are alternatives I want this guy to understand that I can, and I will, ship a rifle thru his PO.

Is my next call the local ATF office? What other avenues do you recommend?

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm#ep308518

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-usps

http://www.cgwgun.com/shipping/usps.aspx

Re: Rifle Shipping Issue - Local PO

I'd keep bringing your stuff to him, get his boss involved, and force him to do his job. After enough times he'll give up on the hassle of arguing with you.

Yup...it's letter/email time. Get the local news involved. Have mass media educate the general public on how IT IS legal to mail a longarm and that YOU TO can do it as long as simple instructions are followed.

I move around a lot as a .mil...each location is a new beginning. I will not even attempt a longarm shipment in urban Alabama. It's UPS or FEDEX. They ask a few questions, measure, weigh...and I'm out.

That postal worker needs to feel some pain from his CoC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd keep bringing your stuff to him, get his boss involved, and force him to do his job. After enough times he'll give up on the hassle of arguing with you. </div></div>

...and I like this. If the local PD has to respond there more than a few times...phone calls will be made...ON YOUR BEHALF.

I have the same issue with the lady at my local p.o.
Luckily,there is more than one person working all the time, so if my turn comes up and its "her" i turn to the next person in line and say "go ahead".
Then when the another teller says next (other two are guys i use all the time),I tell him "ID LIKE TO SHIP THIS RIFLE PLEASE"
He gets a real kick out of it,Matt

'

Post Master. WTF give them a call they oversee the post office personnel in their jurisdiction. Until you do that you've done nothing.

This:
432.1 General

The following conditions apply:

a. Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as “handguns”) are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1.

b. The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2.

c. Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted, as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.2.

d. Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90—618) and
18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.1b and c.

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

Shove the rules in the Clerks face
smile.gif