• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle spewing gas bombs

Tonsofguns

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2017
Northern Va
Shot at the local nra range today. Running an lmt upper 16 inch with a precision armament brake, vtor a 5 buffer system.

I like to shoot really fast, every time I go out there the range officers ask if I’m shooting an automatic.

So in any case I fairly quickly shoot 150 rounds of pmc 223. I smoked the whole place up. Everyone was complaining and the range officer said he’s never seen so much smoke in there before ever and that I was serenading everyone with lead particles.

So my question is what could be causing all the smoke. Pmc 223 does not seem to always run so Smokey. It’s it my combination of parts, the muzzle, the buffer system?

Anyone have good options for plinking 223 that does not run so gassy?

Yeah indoor. I need to drive an hour to get to an outdoor range so to get my weekly shooting in it’s indoor unfortunately

LMT's are notorious for being over-gassed. Won't matter which ammo you use. The only way you're going to reduce it is by replacing the gas block with an adjustable gas block and/or swapping out the barrel for one with a smaller port.

Reactions: Tonsofguns
Yeah indoor. I need to drive an hour to get to an outdoor range so to get my weekly shooting in it’s indoor unfortunately

:) Tell him to quit being such a fud. And tell him if they cleaned/replaced the air filters the air thats required to be moving...would be, and the smoke wouldn't sit there :)

LMT's are notorious for being over-gassed. Won't matter which ammo you use. The only way you're going to reduce it is by replacing the gas block with an adjustable gas block and/or swapping out the barrel for one with a smaller port.
Gas port size has nothing to do with how clean your ammo runs

Reactions: Jsp556
Shot at the local nra range today. Running an lmt upper 16 inch with a precision armament brake, vtor a 5 buffer system.

I like to shoot really fast, every time I go out there the range officers ask if I’m shooting an automatic.

So in any case I fairly quickly shoot 150 rounds of pmc 223. I smoked the whole place up. Everyone was complaining and the range officer said he’s never seen so much smoke in there before ever and that I was serenading everyone with lead particles.

So my question is what could be causing all the smoke. Pmc 223 does not seem to always run so Smokey. It’s it my combination of parts, the muzzle, the buffer system?

Anyone have good options for plinking 223 that does not run so gassy?
It’s a mix between your ammo and the ranges ventilation system. How many yards is the range?
lead dusting? Maybe down range

He's mag dumping at an indoor range. It's gonna get smokey regardless what ammo he's using. Reducing gas port reduces the amount blowing out the upper receiver that is smoking out the firing line.
A gas port / block only impacts the flow of gas, it has no control over how much gas is created when powder is ignited.

You should put a really obnoxious muzzle brake on this rifle. It won’t help with the gas, but you’ll be most of the way to the indoor range douche canoe hat trick. Upgrade to mag dumping a magnum rifle with an obnoxious brake and you’re the Wayne Gretzky of indoor range douche canoes.

A gas port / block only impacts the flow of gas, it has no control over how much gas is created when powder is ignited.

Yes, including the flow back into the receiver which is causing all the annoyance at the firing line. The rest of the gas goes out the front of the barrel and hopefully down range if the facility is vented properly. He could try suggesting they improve ventilation, but trying to convince a business to spend money is like pulling teeth. He's either gonna have to change his set up or save the mag dumping for outdoors and maybe use less or different lube as suggested above. Or go to another range if that's an option.

Reactions: rpoL98
The range is at the nra headquarters and it’s a nice range that goes to 50 yard. I’m sure they have decent ventilation.

So reading the comments and thinking back to other range days at different ranges I am almost 100 percent sure it’s the lube I’ve been using. I just lubbed the bolt before going to the range and it’s a very thick lube that I use. I forget the name from the top of my head but ill
Come back and let you guys know.

You should put a really obnoxious muzzle brake on this rifle. It won’t help with the gas, but you’ll be most of the way to the indoor range douche canoe hat trick. Upgrade to mag dumping a magnum rifle with an obnoxious brake and you’re the Wayne Gretzky of indoor range douche canoes.

All my muzzle brakes are extremely obnoxious, hence why they work so well! Precision armament, apa, you get the drift.

But I promise I’m not a complete dick. I usually start my range sessions suppressed on the bench, then when I’m warmed up it’s party time!!

Yeah I’m considering this. Is this something any gunsmith can do

Yeah I’m considering this. Is this something any gunsmith can do
Easiest is to just replace gas tube with a Black River Tactical gas tube. If you shoot lots of different ammo and you want the softest recoil you can get D. Wilson to remove your factory gas block and install an adjustable.

Myself, I run BRT 50:50 gas tubes on my factory 5.56/7.62/6.5CM LMT barrels and an adj gas block on my D. Wilson modified LMT Proof barrels.

Easiest is to just replace gas tube with a Black River Tactical gas tube. If you shoot lots of different ammo and you want the softest recoil you can get D. Wilson to remove your factory gas block and install an adjustable.

Myself, I run BRT 50:50 gas tubes on my factory 5.56/7.62/6.5CM LMT barrels and an adj gas block on my D. Wilson modified LMT Proof barrels.
Ah yeah that’s right d Wilson. I might send out a few of my mws and mrp barrels to get worked on.

The brt has my interest as well. Removing the gas tube fairly simple on the lmt barrel? No need for a press right ?

Last edited:
The range is at the nra headquarters…
You should have led with this. Next time, bring smoke grenades. I’m sure someone will be along shortly to present a lube recipe that will really smoke up the joint. In the meantime, stock up on Aguila ammunition. That shit is as dirty as black powder.

• Haha