• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Twist Question?

FreQRiDeR

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2017
In my attempts to stretch the 300 Win mag out to 1000yds and beyond, I have come to the conclusion that I would most probably benefit from using a heavier projectile for developing a new ELD load. (Currently 180, 190 SMK) My questions are would my 10” twist be sufficient to stabilize a 210-230 bullet and wouldn’t the added velocity of the win mag cartridge somewhat compensate for the slower twist with velocity? (More velocity = more bullet RPM’s after all?)

Am I wasting my time trying to develop a 220 gr load for the 10” twist?

@FreQRiDeR A 10 twist is fine for most of the available 210-230 pills (exceptions being the 200 and 230 grain SMKs as they require a faster twist due to their length).

220 smk should stabilize but it does need to be moving. The Mk248 Mod 1 out of the Mk13s launches at 2850 but that’s a hard velocity to reach safely with Sammi reamers. Besides there are better bullets now.

The 215 Berger and Hornady 208 AMAX and 212 ELD Match are great options for a 10 twist sammi chamber. The 225 ELD has a G1 BC of .777 and should work in a 10 twist also.

Awaiting my Mk13 Mod 5 to be done so going through the same deliberations.

Edit: Are you feeding the rounds from an internal magazine, detachable box mag (like AICS mags) or a single feed? Asking as detachable box magazines can be a limiting factor when dealing with heavier longer bullets in the .300 win mag if wanting minimal/no jump to the lands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huskydriver
I shoot 220-225-230 prjos from a 1-10 out to a mile just fine. I can get the 225 eldms to 2850 without killing my primers

Reactions: camotoe
Most lr br guys run 1-10. I do also. I run 210vlds over h4350. It’s a pretty proven combo. You won’t mag feed from a short action and get good speeds but if you’re running a long action or single feed, get a .230”ish freebore and the 210 can run well

My 300 win is a 10 twist 24 inch barrel with a HTG M30A can. Use it with 208 ELDX. Hits targets out to 1500 consistently.

Reactions: FreQRiDeR
For the 230 Berger Hybrids they recommend a 1/9 twist rate depending on altitude and temperature. Reduced BC in 1/10 twist with lower temperatures. For my AI AXMC got a Bartlein 1/9 twist. With 230 Berger Hybrid Target getting 2880 fps. Haven't gone beyond 1000 yards.

Reactions: FreQRiDeR
@FreQRiDeR A 10 twist is fine for most of the available 210-230 pills (exceptions being the 200 and 230 grain SMKs as they require a faster twist due to their length).

220 smk should stabilize but it does need to be moving. The Mk248 Mod 1 out of the Mk13s launches at 2850 but that’s a hard velocity to reach safely with Sammi reamers. Besides there are better bullets now.

The 215 Berger and Hornady 208 AMAX and 212 ELD Match are great options for a 10 twist sammi chamber. The 225 ELD has a G1 BC of .777 and should work in a 10 twist also.

Awaiting my Mk13 Mod 5 to be done so going through the same deliberations.

Edit: Are you feeding the rounds from an internal magazine, detachable box mag (like AICS mags) or a single feed? Asking as detachable box magazines can be a limiting factor when dealing with heavier longer bullets in the .300 win mag if wanting minimal/no jump to the lands.
I have standard, 3round mags from Savage 110. I’d like to retain mag feed but open to single feed. I don’t load near the lands on the winmag due to pressure spike and the bullets I’ve been using seem to like a little jump. I think if you’re jamming bullets into the lands on a winmag you’re asking for trouble. (It gets to be over 100 where I live, in the summer.)

The 208 ELD’s look promising, and a good weight compromise. Thanks folks! May try the Berger 215 hybrids too.

The answer to your question is yes. You can shoot them from a 1-10" twist at magnum speeds and the bullets will stabilize and produce good accuracy. I shoot 210 Bergers and 208 Amax-ELD's from my 1-11.25 twisted .308 Norma and they stabilize just fine.