• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle...what to do next??

chuckman

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2013
Durham, NC
I have a Rem 700 SPS tac, and as I am a novice precision bolt shooter, I am happy with what it can do (though far less happy about what I can do with it). I have a tad bit of money I can add to it, not sure what to do. It has stock trigger/threaded barrel, EGW base, Burrix XTR rings, SS 10x scope, oversized knob, B&C stock. What should I get next? Bipod? Upgrade base? (followed by rings) Timney trigger?

Get a Harris BRMS (6-9 heigh, swivel, leg notches) and ammo. You have a good base, just shoot it.

Sounds like you have a good base setup right now. Sure the Timney will feel better and I personally prefer it over the stock X-Mark Pro, but it should not be a detriment to accuracy.

At this point, either stock up on ammo or get into reloading. You need some trigger time. It is the only way you are going to improve.

Study natural point of aim, getting straight behind the rifle, breathing and squeezing the trigger. A bipod (harris) may be worth the investment, but you will have to learn proper bipod loading.

Most of all read up on wind and wind holds.

I think your reticle is Mil, no matter what your elevation knob is you can still hold mil. In this link there is a simple formula for holding wind in mil, there are other ways of doing it, but it is a down and dirty approach and has been more effect for me than not.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...rksmanship-questions/163617-reading-wind.html

Sounds like you have a good base setup right now. Sure the Timney will feel better and I personally prefer it over the stock X-Mark Pro, but it should not be a detriment to accuracy.

At this point, either stock up on ammo or get into reloading. You need some trigger time. It is the only way you are going to improve.

Study natural point of aim, getting straight behind the rifle, breathing and squeezing the trigger. A bipod (harris) may be worth the investment, but you will have to learn proper bipod loading.

Most of all read up on wind and wind holds.

I think your reticle is Mil, no matter what your elevation knob is you can still hold mil. In this link there is a simple formula for holding wind in mil, there are other ways of doing it, but it is a down and dirty approach and has been more effect for me than not.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...rksmanship-questions/163617-reading-wind.html

Thanks for the gouge, Senior (I am former HM2 FMF, drank the kool-aid, got my commission).

Thanks for the gouge, Senior (I am former HM2 FMF, drank the kool-aid, got my commission).

Congrats, Mustangs make for good O's. If you are still in, have training get you the Marine Corps marksmanship manual. (MCRP 3-01A Rifle Marksmanship). Can make for some good reading and you can complete it for credit.

I think a bipod would be in order, something on the shorter size.

Training would come next if it were me. One need look no further than this site for that.

Use what you have, and learn to accommodate the issues inherent in a non-perfected rifle. From that point, things should only get better as one upgrades on a gradual basis. Upgrading one feature at a time allows one better insight into the how's and why's.

If handloading is an option, it's a superb one.

Welcome to the Grand Quest, Doc. The HM's were danged good to me.

Greg (USMC '66-'68)

Last edited:
Congrats, Mustangs make for good O's. If you are still in, have training get you the Marine Corps marksmanship manual. (MCRP 3-01A Rifle Marksmanship). Can make for some good reading and you can complete it for credit.

I'm out now, but I can probably score one of the manuals. It would def be a good reference.

I think a bipod would be in order, something on the shorter size.

Training would come next if it were me. One need look no further than this site for that.

Use what you have, and learn to accommodate the issues inherent in a non-perfected rifle. From that point, things should only get better as one upgrades in a gradual basis. Upgrading one feature at a time allows one better insight into the how's and why's.

If handloading is an option, it's a superb one.

Welcome to the Grand Quest, Doc. The HM's were danged good to me.

Greg (USMC '66-'68)

That sounds like wisdom; thanks for the advice. I would love to reload, but just not in the cards (well, budget) right now. Thank's for the welcome... I love my Marines, and they took care of me, too.

Every rifle us going to be different, anyway.

Whichever way you go, try to ensure that your proficiency not dependent on a particular set of mechanicals.

A true marksman should be able to wring the ballpark potential out of any rifle, or alternatively, be able to pinpoint why a rifle has a lower potential. Sniper II may have been a hokey flick, but it drove that lesson home in Spades.

Perfection is the enemy of sufficient. Think in terms of Minute of 'Chuck, Minute of Venison, Minute of Badguy, etc.... The value of a particular ammo is not in its group size but in the distance to which it will do what you need it to do. Know that distance. Me, my LRF goes wherever my rifle goes.

Marksmanship stands on a tripod; marksman, equipment, environment. A true marksman embarks upon a lifelong quest to understand each of the three to an intuitive level.

Do that and the rest will come to you for the answers. The target tells just who you are for all to see.

Those Marines understood that when they called, you guys would always come, no matter what. That's as good as it gets.

Greg

Last edited:
Some people spend money on fixing up a rifle rather than spending the money on ammo so they can learn to shoot that rifle up to it's potential. You already have a decent rifle, so at this point, I would probably follow the previous advice about a bipod, decent glass, and ammo to practice with.

You can easily get caught up in the trap of spending a great deal of money on the rifle, or scope rather than on buying the ammo to practice with. I wouldn't spend many thousands of dollars on a scope yet. Buy a decent scope though, as low quality scopes most often end up with you being disappointed, then having to buy a decent scope in any case. But then you are still stuck with the crap scope you bought the first time.

Decent ammo, training and trigger time. Learn to shoot that rifle to the limits of its accuracy and then you will be in a position to know what flaws you are trying to fix.

I would get a bipod next so you can work on shooting prone and makes it easier from the bench as well. Then as others have stated trigger time is key.

Thanks to all for the advice. I am putting my $$ in a 5-hour private instruction class with a local instructor. I was going to get a bipod, but I have a ruck and other things I can use for stability when I am prone, and I think I need to work on "me" before I work on the rifle.