• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifles and flying

rum

Minuteman
Nov 3, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
For those that fly around often with their rifles(commercial flights), is there a way to insure expensive gear beyond what is offered for regular baggage? Can I pay a little more money and have my rifle declared and insured for the flight? I will be using a good quality case but want to make sure it does not get lost and is taken care of. I'm heading to Tx for an exotics hunt/honeymoon and want to take my.338 lapua(great purchase from a SH member)Thanks for any advice

Re: Rifles and flying

Fly Southwest if you can, they are the nicest folks when it comes to flying with rifles and charge the least for extra baggage.

For insurance, several here have suggested the coverage offered by the NRA, if you're not a member already you should be anyways
wink.gif

Buy Travel insurance, you can insure your guns for the duration of your trip.It's not very expensive. We work with a company for our traveling hunters.

I am definately getting the NRA sponsored insurance. I'm just not sure if I can get it all in place before March 24th. Hopefully, I will be able to. I will be declaring a couple rifles so it is well worth the piece of mind. Where do I find travel insurance? Any specific companies that I should work with?(or avoid?) Thanks again.

I have mine on my Homeowners Policy. Same company I insure my cars and bike with.

The company is less likely to dick me around when they realize how much money they would loose if I went elsewhere.

If you have homeowners or renters insurance it should only take a couple minutes to setup.

Unfortunately, I can't get homeowners/renters insurance because I have a rott. I'm calling tomorrow to get the NRA sponsored ins. It looks like the coverage is pretty good and $200 a year is well worth it to me. Now, I just have to decide if the starlight case is big enough for a 51" rifle or if I should just go with the pelican 1770. I like the idea of the starlight because it is smaller and a little lighter but I also like the idea of the added protection of the 1770. When I'm not using the case to travel, I also want to be able to haul it in the back of my truck for short drives to the woods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unfortunately, I can't get homeowners/renters insurance because I have a rott. </div></div>

Wow. I guess some of the crap I have been hearing about OR is true.

I have a Pit-mix and it wasn't even an issue. Check with Farm Bureau Insurance. They never asked me about the breed of dog.

LoneWolf,

If anyone ever does ask in the future, you own a terrier mix. You won't be lying as Pitts are, in fact, a terrier.

My wife used to be in the insurance industry and Pitts were on the no-no list (with Chows, Dobies, GSDs, Rotts and believe it or not...poodles).

I was told that, in the event of a claim, they would send someone out to see the dogs and determine what breed they were at that point. I could dispute it with a vets signature but, to be honest, I didn't want to deal with companies that wouldn't pay for my stuff if my house burnt down because I've got a "mean" dog. lol I may have to shop around a bit more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the idea of the starlight because it is smaller and a little lighter but I also like the idea of the added protection of the 1770. When I'm not using the case to travel, I also want to be able to haul it in the back of my truck for short drives to the woods.</div></div>

Watch the 1770, you'll most likely be charged through the nose for oversize baggage.

The 1750 will hold two scoped "standard" sized hunting rifles. It will easily hold one tactical rifle with lots of room for accessories around it. The overall length of your 338 will be the deciding factor, but fitting it in a 1750 will save you some money when you check in.

PS....Technically the 1750 is even a hair over the standard size luggage parameters I believe, but no one has ever questioned me. I'm thinking the 1770 might be large enough for someone to get out the tape measure.

The 1750 is too short for my rifle. It claims an inside length of 50.5" and my rifle is 51? I have been looking at a starlight though since they are 52" long.

I have flown twice with the 1750 and not gotten charged the "oversize" fee. Not sure if I could slip a 1770 though.

Better make sure you reserve a nice sized rental car. Many of the rental places don't keep to many full size cars on hand. Last time I ended up getting "upgraded" to an SUV because all they had were compacts.

I could probibly take the brake off but I picked up a starlight case tonight and ordered another for my (soon to be) wifes ultra mag.
LonewolfUSMC, thankfully, I won't have to get a rental car. I've got a good friend that has taken me hunting in Tx that is picking us up and hauling us around for our hunts. He was a little taken back that we invited him on our honeymoon but we assured him that we'd go ahead and get a second motel room for him. lol

I haven't tried this in several years but at one time you could purchase extra insurance at the ticket counter on any of your luggage. What happened then was the luggage got a special handling red tag attached and got hand carried everywhere it went. I want say there is $3200 claim limit per bag that's included in your ticket price. Back then I always bought a $1000 more just to make sure they were paying attention.

I had wondered about something like that. I'll definately check into it. I know that hard cases are tough but I still cringe at the thought of the baggage handlers pitching a case with a 20lb rifle in it. I'd rather be overprepared than deal with murphys law on a hunting trip.

I looked at the airline coverage and, from what I can tell, they cover baggage up to $3000. I know they'd somehow try to get out of it so I went with nraendorsedinsurance.com and got he arms car plus insurance. I called and they told me my guns are covered for everything from trips, fire, theft, and even accidents such as tripping and breaking the scope or stock and even dropping my gun in a lake.

Only thing i worry about flying and bringing a gun along..
I had a friend who shipped out to Wyoming and found out a week later his gun ended up in Paris... Took him about 8 weeks to get it back.. I guess that case saw the world and then some and took another 5 stops before it was on the right track and his hunting trip went to shit.

I fly about 20 weekends out of the year between teaching, classes and competition and will tell you this.

Rules #1-100: Fly Southwest whenever possible!!!! They train their folks to know what to look for and at a minimum they're a lot less freaked out when firearms are brought in front of them.

All the other rules/tips:
- Find out what the individual airline's firearms policy is prior to showing up to the airport (specifically how they want ammo packed).
- DO NOT USE TSA LOCKS!!! You don't have to and shouldn't. I use regular old keyed locks and I have the only key and insist that inspect the locks after the bag has been swepped/additionally inspected.
- Lately, I've added a note to 3-4 locations on my Pelican's and it states: "If this case requires additional inspection, please contact its owner at (Insert Cell Phone number). I will come immediately to assist in any way possible".
- Lastly, I zip tie in addition to the locks and YOU ARE ALLOWED TO DO THIS!!!

As for insurance, mine are all covered under my homeowner's insurance policy and I don't buy the additional insurance at the airport. No guns lost to date (knock on wood) in 12 years of traveling (including international).

Rich

Rich hit the high points, but additionally you MAY NOT allow your case to be opened out of your presence.

I went though this with TSA in two different airports this month.

Due to some of my occupational hazards often my luggage tests positive for explosives residue. On our outbound leg, mine tested. On our return leg another team member's luggage tested positive. Both times TSA requested the combination to our locks to they could open it in their super secret bat cave. Both times they looked confused when I advised them that we were not able to give them access unless we were present. They didn't argue, they just weren't happy about having to go get the bags and bring them back to the counter. In both instances we were flying in an official capacity, so there weren't a lot of questions about the contents of our bags or WHY they tested positive for explosives. (We were NOT transporting any explosives. We just had a lot of contact with them.).

Print out and carry with you the TSA regulations and Federal Code. They can help when you remind the agent that you have a copy of their regs if they have a question.

ALWAYS BE POLITE, even when they are being assholes.

If you pack the rifles in the proper case, Starlight, there's no way the airlines can hurt it.....

Southwest is GTG. When I arrived at me destination, the airlines had my weapon in their possession and I had to show my ID to get it released to me. They are hassle free and made me feel secure that the weapon could not just disappear from the baggage carriage.

I flew Delta a few weeks back and when arriving at my destination out it came on the carousel. Return flight was a no show on the carousel so after a trip to the counter and some looking the guy who came walking says huge no no it should have never been where it was. Not sure of differences between airlines, seperate insurance is a must. In my case my homeowners does what I need there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had wondered about something like that. I'll definately check into it. I know that hard cases are tough but I still cringe at the thought of the baggage handlers pitching a case with a 20lb rifle in it. I'd rather be overprepared than deal with murphys law on a hunting trip. </div></div>

They are quite rough with luggage, but with a good quality case you should be alright. When I was 17 and didn't know any better, I took my cheapo deer rifle in a cheapo plastic case (hey, it was lockable...) to Kentucky to hunt with my uncle. The baggage handlers broke my scope's elevation knob clean off at the tube. I'm sure the problem was more the case it was in and not the baggage handlers thinking they were Dan Marino in the last quarter of the Superbowl and in need of a single touchdown to win the game. I'm flying to Kentucky again next month and taking my AR and my sidearm both in a much nicer case. I'll be taking Southwest as that's how I flew when I was 17 and had no issues other than the broken scope knob. They were great about checking the rifle.

I think their insurance limit is $3300 or $3000, one of the two... Either way neither of my guns I'm taking are worth that by themselves, or together, so I should be good.

The interesting thing, and I'm not sure if this was true or not, is that if they put a FRAGILE sticker/tag on the piece of luggage you accept all liability if anything happens to the case. Seems like it should be the other way around, don't you think? Make sure you ask.

Have a good trip!

Beware of delta last year after a montana dog slaughter we didnt get our rifles to the next day on the return trip and if I wasnt waiting in the airport any mope could have walked out with them. No security watching the carosel at all.

What is involved in declaring your gun and optics at customs if you are traveling internationally?

Brad