• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Rifles only - Anyone looking to attend Precision Rifle 1&2?

I have given it some thought...so many options and it being such a big investment...i am in a state of paralysis through analysis!

On my bucket list, but I've got training near me, so I haven't made the trip... yet.

I’m planning on attending the one in March. Have been to a few classes before with them. Defiantly money well spent

Some of the best money you can spend in this sport. They focus on fundamentals more then most, makes for an excellent first precision rifle training course or refresher.

I did PR1&2 a few years ago. Made some life long friends that I still meet up with yearly for shooting (including one from the UK), and my shooting skills dramatically increased with the ability to diagnose and self improve as the years go on.

Do it.

I picked up a 1/2 off certificate for PR1&2 at a match here around Thanksgiving. Says its good til Nov 2020. Any of you guys want it send me a pm. I'd like to give it to someone who hasn't been. If you get it you have to use it. I'll find out if you try to sell it and I'll shame you off the internet! :sneaky: ;) Merry Christmas guys.

I picked up a 1/2 off certificate for PR1&2 at a match here around Thanksgiving. Says its good til Nov 2020. Any of you guys want it send me a pm. I'd like to give it to someone who hasn't been. If you get it you have to use it. I'll find out if you try to sell it and I'll shame you off the internet! :sneaky: ;) Merry Christmas guys.

Shoot I’ll give it a shot

backside.....very cool of you

Next black friday i'm definitely going to seek out their sale...sounds like great fun and a wonderful learning experience

Reactions: RS14
Been to Jacobs 2 day private class, get in shape that mousetrap will get you! Fabulous facility and memorable training. You’re going to learn a lot, so many different positions to shoot from on that range.

I’ll be there for PR 1&2 the first week in May, looking forward to it. I’ve done PR1 in TX and a 3 day competition prep with Jacob in CO, his training is legit.

Last edited:
I’m repeating the PR1 & PR2 class, it’s a great class. I was in Texas last March for the class, wanted to attend again this year and am bringing a friend this time.

Jacob really focuses on fundamentals and gives you time to work on the exercise of the day. He has a plan of what he wants to cover, however is flexible. You can shoot as much or little as you want.

I'm in for PR1/2 in early March. Looking forward to it.

For those who have done it before, what’s the schedule like? I’m wondering if I’m safe booking a flight arriving the night before and leaving the last day.

For those who have done it before, what’s the schedule like? I’m wondering if I’m safe booking a flight arriving the night before and leaving the last day.
[/QUOTE

I took the class last March. You probably would be ok depending on where you are flying to/from. I would make sure you plan for enough time to not miss anything.

The range is about 15 minutes outside of Kingsville. Friday was a short day, we shot a mini match and called it good early afternoon.

The class structure is pretty laid back. We will have enough time to run to town for lunch.

Looking forward to meeting you. I would prepare to dress for strong winds and cool temps and also warm weather.

I just got signed up for the middle of April. I've been wanting to take training there for years so I'm really excited! I hear great things about Rifles Only.

curious, could you tell us more about your class....and where did you stay? any advice? thanks

Jacob focuses on fundamentals of marksmanship; natural point of aim, breathing, sight picture, breathing, trigger control and follow through. There is some classroom time and discussions cover firearm safety, ballistics, optics, rifles in generals and whatever else comes up. The class is geared for precision shooters, hunters and LE/Mil snipers.

Most of the course time is spent on the range. You’ll practice all shooting positions generally from distances of 400 to 1000 yards and also shooting movers. There is also a course called the “Mouse Trap” that is very challenging (check the videos on YouTube). For non-prone positions you’ll be using a sling for support, learn how to use them and how effective one can be. You’ll also shoot weak side and using supports you’ve probably never used or thought of before.

The range is laid out where depending on the targets engaged wind will vary from nothing to full value. The wind can be pretty strong. This year I saw 15-20 mph most days and one day it got up to 28 mph. If you want a challenge you can’t find on most ranges, try shooting a mover at 400 yards in 15 mph full value wind!

Temperatures were comfortable, cool in the morning and up to 80* during the day. The sun is strong and with the wind, you can get burned. We got rain one day for about 20 minutes, overall the weather was great and I think typical of early March. I would not go late spring or summer. It would be hot and humid.

You will have enough time to shoot pretty much all you want, it’s up to you. I would bring a minimum of 500 rounds. Depending on what you’re doing everyone can be shooting or only one shooter, overall the class is a good pace.

Jacob and his assistant will give help or suggestions as needed during range time. The last day is pretty much a review of the week and a mini competition.

The range is about 10-15 minutes from KIngsville. I have a travel trailer and stay in a campground on the south edge of town. There are several motels and lots of great restaurants to choose from. Great local Mexican restaurants and a fabulous seafood restaurant, Baffin Bay Seafood, in a nearby town is a must go to while there.

Kingsville has a Walmart, Tractor Supply and other stores. It’s big enough to find things if you need however it’s not a large town.

You will have plenty of time to go to town to grab lunch and get back to the range, no need to pack something.

I have throughly enjoyed both courses I’ve taken at Rifles Only. I think it’s a great class that focuses on fundamentals, however it’s very challenging. I also went to Gunsite for their Long Range Rifle class. Rifles Only focuses on the shooter and Gunsite is a spotter - shooter team with more focus on spotting. I would go to either again, both are great.

I like Jacob’s style, he is adaptable to what you need and will suggest different ways to do things. It’s not a class where it has to be done his way, he recognizes there isn’t a one size fits all.

If you can make it to the class, I highly recommend going, you will not regret it.

Went for PR 1&2 04-08May 2020, was the first class in a while due to the Rona. We got super lucky and had Lindy working the class with Jacob, felt very fortunate to get to train with him as he has a ton of technical knowledge that filled in perfectly with Jacob's instruction. Sadly the distillery has been making hand sanitizer so didn't get to try any of that. On the last day we had winds gusting to 30MPH, couldn't ask for better conditions!

VideoCapture_20200509-204917.jpg

Shooting the mover at 400 YDS

20200506_093100.jpg

We also shot the mover from the barricades, around 415 YDS. Your excuses are invalid!

20200507_151329.jpg

Mover berm from the tower

20200507_151917.jpg

Pic of the tower

20200506_144122.jpg

The infamous Mouse Trap

Definitely intend to take PR1 this year. Unfortunately can’t take a lot of time off to attend PR 1 & 2 ... although that would be ideal..

Reactions: 117D-RTO
You get to spend more time and rounds on the individual skills in PR2 but you cover pretty much all of the same thing and more importantly focus on the fundamentals in PR1. PR2 let us focus on things we wanted for more time, example I got to shoot the mover probably 2x as much in PR2 than PR1, basically on the fourth day I got to shoot until I melted the barrel ;) I'd still do PR1 in a heartbeat if that's what you can make time for, that's how I started and eventually made the time to go for the 5 days.

Definitely intend to take PR1 this year. Unfortunately can’t take a lot of time off to attend PR 1 & 2 ... although that would be ideal..

Reactions: Joshcrz
You get to spend more time and rounds on the individual skills in PR2 but you cover pretty much all of the same thing and more importantly focus on the fundamentals in PR1. PR2 let us focus on things we wanted for more time, example I got to shoot the mover probably 2x as much in PR2 than PR1, basically on the fourth day I got to shoot until I melted the barrel ;) I'd still do PR1 in a heartbeat if that's what you can make time for, that's how I started and eventually made the time to go for the 5 days.
Seeing that I’m a newbie... seems like the best option for me... “gotta crawl before walking and/or run” 👍👍

Reactions: 117D-RTO
Seeing that I’m a newbie... seems like the best option for me... “gotta crawl before walking and/or run” 👍👍
If you have the time I would go to the PR1 & PR2 combined vs PR1 followed by PR2. I think you will learn more by spending more on the range and reinforcing what you learn and then practicing after the course. YMMV.

If you have the time I would go to the PR1 & PR2 combined vs PR1 followed by PR2. I think you will learn more by spending more on the range and reinforcing what you learn and then practicing after the course. YMMV.
I would def agree that is the best option..

Problem is I can't take that much time off of work :(

It’s funny that I stumbled across this thread. There’s a fella her that is selling a 1/2 off cert for the PR1 and PR2 course. Just FYI....

Changed my mind.... going to make myself find the time to invest in this course.. without a doubt.

Changed my mind.... going to make myself find the time to invest in this course.. without a doubt.
I’m sure you’ll be glad you did. It’s a great class. FYI, if it helps there is a bunk house on site you can stay in, nothing fancy but serves the purpose. There are several great places to eat close by.

Go early spring or fall. Late spring and summer are too hot.

I’m sure you’ll be glad you did. It’s a great class. FYI, if it helps there is a bunk house on site you can stay in, nothing fancy but serves the purpose. There are several great places to eat close by.

Go early spring or fall. Late spring and summer are too hot.
Trying to contact them to see if this October is full yet.. last match I was gifted a certificate 👍👍👍

This is an overview of the class I posted in another thread earlier this year. I’m sure you will learn a lot, on occasion feel overwhelmed and frustrated and really enjoy your time there and with the group. Good luck.

“Jacob focuses on fundamentals of marksmanship; natural point of aim, breathing, sight picture, breathing, trigger control and follow through. There is some classroom time and discussions cover firearm safety, ballistics, optics, rifles in generals and whatever else comes up. The class is geared for precision shooters, hunters and LE/Mil snipers.

Most of the course time is spent on the range. You’ll practice all shooting positions generally from distances of 400 to 1000 yards and also shooting movers. There is also a course called the “Mouse Trap” that is very challenging (check the videos on YouTube). For non-prone positions you’ll be using a sling for support, learn how to use them and how effective one can be. You’ll also shoot weak side and using supports you’ve probably never used or thought of before.

The range is laid out where depending on the targets engaged wind will vary from nothing to full value. The wind can be pretty strong. This year I saw 15-20 mph most days and one day it got up to 28 mph. If you want a challenge you can’t find on most ranges, try shooting a mover at 400 yards in 15 mph full value wind!

Temperatures were comfortable, cool in the morning and up to 80* during the day. The sun is strong and with the wind, you can get burned. We got rain one day for about 20 minutes, overall the weather was great and I think typical of early March. I would not go late spring or summer. It would be hot and humid.

You will have enough time to shoot pretty much all you want, it’s up to you. I would bring a minimum of 500 rounds. Depending on what you’re doing everyone can be shooting or only one shooter, overall the class is a good pace.

Jacob and his assistant will give help or suggestions as needed during range time. The last day is pretty much a review of the week and a mini competition.

The range is about 10-15 minutes from KIngsville. I have a travel trailer and stay in a campground on the south edge of town. There are several motels and lots of great restaurants to choose from. Great local Mexican restaurants and a fabulous seafood restaurant, Baffin Bay Seafood, in a nearby town is a must go to while there.

Kingsville has a Walmart, Tractor Supply and other stores. It’s big enough to find things if you need however it’s not a large town.

You will have plenty of time to go to town to grab lunch and get back to the range, no need to pack something.

I have throughly enjoyed both courses I’ve taken at Rifles Only. I think it’s a great class that focuses on fundamentals, however it’s very challenging. I also went to Gunsite for their Long Range Rifle class. Rifles Only focuses on the shooter and Gunsite is a spotter - shooter team with more focus on spotting. I would go to either again, both are great.

I like Jacob’s style, he is adaptable to what you need and will suggest different ways to do things. It’s not a class where it has to be done his way, he recognizes there isn’t a one size fits all.

If you can make it to the class, I highly recommend going, you will not regret it.”