• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifles Only Rimfire Academy

CavReconScout

Gunny Segeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 18, 2013
    Illinois
    I just signed up for the 2nd class being held in Minnesota at the end of August. Training with Jacob has been on my bucket list, and shooting my Vudoo is a blast, so I am really looking forward to this. Has anyone here attended the Rimfire Academy and want to share their experiences? Any prep I can do in advance to prepare for the class? TIA.

I took the two day clinic in June and gained a lot from it. It’s a good mix of classroom info and field shooting. Day one was getting better with your basics; trigger control, follow through, breathing, building position, etc. Day two position shooting in natural terrain ( Fort Collins site great for mountain-hill shooting), movers combined with holds at various distances, and some opportunity to use tripods- would have liked more of this. My one critique is lunches were too long - 1 1/2 hours.

One big plus is the class was limited-we had nine so you got a good amount of time with instructors

Any prep? Can’t really say anything specific. Trim gear to essentials, water, sun screen, bring your DOPE, note pad. Your clinic may vary from the Colorado one, but I’m sure it will be worthwhile and fun.

Apparently my Google skills are weak... where can I find some information on the class? I'm in Western WI so MN is an easy drive.
    DW

Reactions: woogie_man
    I wish that there would be a class by Jacob closer to Florida, in driving distance. I had the absolute pleasure to attend a class of his at the last Precision Rifle Expo at the Arena shooting facility in GA. At the time I didn’t even know who this men who explained fundamentals better than I have ever heard before is.
    Since then I‘m listening to his podcast, just really appreciate his wealth of information. Maybe one day I‘ll make it to Rifles Only in TX for a class, just no experience in flying with Guns and ammo to not even mention the time we live in.

Reactions: BurtG
    I know what you mean, this class will be an 8hr one way drive. Totally worth it in my opinion and I am glad for the opportunity. Thanks for the info @Just Chuck I haven’t been able to find much info on the class with it being new and all.

Reactions: Just Chuck
    That sounds like a great class I love the Podcast

I would love to see a rimfire class in the north east

Reactions: tinman52
    Any prep I can do in advance to prepare for the class?

If you mean gear and stuff, the instructor should have that posted on his website/facebook/whatever.

If you mean drills, none. It's a class. Just know how to handle your firearm safely and follow directions.

when did RO start training 22, or has it been forever and i just missed it?

i know they would run matches but training is news to me.

if its new, did they hire a new instructor or bring in some new blood?

thanks

thanks

They just started this year or the end of last year.

Jacob, Lindy and Dave Thomas (adjunct inst), from what I understand are doing the rimfire courses.

thanks
    Really suggesting strongly to listen to the rifles only podcast, it's free and tons of valuable information from Jacob and Dave.
    Franks podcast is great as well...

Jacob said in the last podcast the next one will have interviews with Regina and Allison....the 2 top female shooters in the country if someone doesn't know.

I attended the 2 day class up in Ft. Collins back in June. It was great, found out how shitty my fundamentals are. I really enjoyed the 2nd day shooting across a ravine at steel out to 400 yards. Jacob does a great job explaining the curriculum.

Last edited:
    DF9FF23E-A3C3-460C-A4E8-CBBFDE3C81A8.png

I believe it’s this one. @Dthomas3523 will you by chance be one of the instructors along with Jacob?

I took a Rifles Only rimfire class in Colorado in June also. I had just put my first scope on my rifle a month earlier but chose not to shoot it much to have a blank slate coming into training. I was able to hit targets out to 280 yards and hit at one point 10 out of 10 moving targets. My only complaint to the class is I was "made" to shoot the class with the Vudoo and now I want/need to buy one.

I just signed up for the 2nd class being held in Minnesota at the end of August. Training with Jacob has been on my bucket list, and shooting my Vudoo is a blast, so I am really looking forward to this. Has anyone here attended the Rimfire Academy and want to share their experiences? Any prep I can do in advance to prepare for the class? TIA.
    Nice to see another Illinoisan making the trip, see you there!

Great shooting out there with you. Hoping to see you around ASC!

Now since you Illinois guys got the precision 22 bug, I hope to see ya'll a some of the ranges that host 22 matches. There are a few guys in the northern Il area that make the trek down state to shoot our match.

Chris Edwards around Peoria/Chillicothe area just started running NRL22 matches.

Travis Jones in Dennison, Il. has monthly NRL22-PRS rimfire matches.

I (Aces and Eights Firearms) have monthly 22LR matches, also. Ours is the 3rd Saturday of each month. We just started the 21-22 season, with the finale planned for next Sept. We will be a range in Jacob's Bergara/Vudoo series, too. We are located in Cowden, Il.

Rich

Now since you Illinois guys got the precision 22 bug, I hope to see ya'll a some of the ranges that host 22 matches. There are a few guys in the northern Il area that make the trek down state to shoot our match.

Chris Edwards around Peoria/Chillicothe area just started running NRL22 matches.

Travis Jones in Dennison, Il. has monthly NRL22-PRS rimfire matches.

I (Aces and Eights Firearms) have monthly 22LR matches, also. Ours is the 3rd Saturday of each month. We just started the 21-22 season, with the finale planned for next Sept. We will be a range in Jacob's Bergara/Vudoo series, too. We are located in Cowden, Il.

Rich

I'm looking forward to doing some matches further away next year including some of the bigger matches in the surrounding states. Any of those you mentioned though are 3-4 hours from me so not something I will be able to do regularly unfortunately.

Reactions: A&8's
    Curious to know how you guys like this class. Like others have said I am not to far away, and it would be fun to make thr trip possibly next summer. Curious what rifles guys are using, or if it is all vudoos.

This class was great! Jacob really hones in on the fundamentals of marksmanship and does a great job explaining and then working with his students to fine tune everything. We shot a mover at 100yds (which I found harder than a centerfire mover), refined zeroes, did positional shooting, and shot at distance to gather dope. It was a blast! There were a variety of rifles, don’t think you can’t attend if you don’t have a Vudoo. Just be aware that ammunition does matter when shooting these little guys at distance. One of the students was shooting a bulk ammo and was having issues, as soon as he switched to a better grade he had no issues.

Reactions: 6gunner
    This class was great! Jacob really hones in on the fundamentals of marksmanship and does a great job explaining and then working with his students to fine tune everything. We shot a mover at 100yds (which I found harder than a centerfire mover), refined zeroes, did positional shooting, and shot at distance to gather dope. It was a blast! There were a variety of rifles, don’t think you can’t attend if you don’t have a Vudoo. Just be aware that ammunition does matter when shooting these little guys at distance. One of the students was shooting a bulk ammo and was having issues, as soon as he switched to a better grade he had no issues.

I agree with everything said above (even placed an order on the ride home for a Vudoo)! This class really focused on fundamentals NPA, Breathing, Trigger Control, etc.. and was an amazing experience. That said though I do have a couple points of feedback
    • I would have liked them to cover rifle fitment - getting proper length of pull, cheek riser height, eye relief
    • More instruction on building positions (prone and positional)
    • Lunches were very long (and catered, which was awesome, but that extra time could have been used for more instruction)
    • We stopped early each day (or at least earlier than I expected)
    • The course said bring a rifle data book, but there was no discussion on proper usage, what to record etc
    Okay now maybe a lot of those things are basics, but I did feel like this was a "beginners" class and they even market it as a beginners course.

So despite the feedback it really was an amazing class with great instructors and students, everyone was so nice and helpful. I would 100% go back again.

mgjPB0T.jpg

OG11whR.jpg

Ec1HitT.jpg

Was currious about the rifles, would be fun to go with the sako range.

May have to see about getting a few buddies to go thr next time they are in this area

I agree with everything said above (even placed an order on the ride home for a Vudoo)! This class really focused on fundamentals NPA, Breathing, Trigger Control, etc.. and was an amazing experience. That said though I do have a couple points of feedback
    • I would have liked them to cover rifle fitment - getting proper length of pull, cheek riser height, eye relief
    • More instruction on building positions (prone and positional)
    • Lunches were very long (and catered, which was awesome, but that extra time could have been used for more instruction)
    • We stopped early each day (or at least earlier than I expected)
    • The course said bring a rifle data book, but there was no discussion on proper usage, what to record etc
    Okay now maybe a lot of those things are basics, but I did feel like this was a "beginners" class and they even market it as a beginners course.

So despite the feedback it really was an amazing class with great instructors and students, everyone was so nice and helpful. I would 100% go back again.
    Agree, I wish we would have shot longer and had shorter breaks, I came to learn and shoot. I wanted a little more out of the course, there was some good nuggets but I thought time management and organization could make the course better.

Reactions: dscl
    Which range in Ft. Collins hosts this course or, if it’s done on private land, how far outside of Ft. Collins was the location? Used to live there and am trying to get an idea of where everything is located as I plan on attending the June 2022 date for the course.

I’m debating driving out from CA with my trailer or flying. Which campground did you stay at (and would you stay there again)?

I’m debating driving out from CA with my trailer or flying. Which campground did you stay at (and would you stay there again)?

No the campground was a cr@phole for long term RV living. A gravel yard with a place to dump your waste, that is about it. There were plenty of very nice and cheaper campgrounds but none were available when i was deciding. If you book ahead the public campground would be nicer. https://www.larimercamping.com/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=LARC&parkId=710105

The shooting day ends fairly early and being at the reservoir would allow you to bike or boat if you bring toys, which I did not. I live in a remote location so I spent my free time shopping in the big city of Fort Collins. I did do some hiking from the campground and it was very pretty.

20210626_180430.jpg

I'm looking forward to doing some matches further away next year including some of the bigger matches in the surrounding states. Any of those you mentioned though are 3-4 hours from me so not something I will be able to do regularly unfortunately.
    MOST Rimfire series posted their schedule
    I'll be running down south and shooting it again as often as I can.. This year was a blast with the finale.

See you guys around ASC......

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20211209-180453_Docs.jpg
      SmartSelect_20211209-180453_Docs.jpg
      236.1 KB · Views: 59
    MOST Rimfire series posted their schedule
    I'll be running down south and shooting it again as often as I can.. This year was a blast with the finale.

See you guys around ASC......
    This weekend in fact :D

Thanks for posting, much appreciated!

Reactions: Badjujuu
    Just came across this post and see they have a class in Texas coming up in February. I appreciate all the feedback above and an looking forward to taking the class.

I am hoping to sign up for the one in Kingsville. Anybody know the round count?

Where can I find 2023 classes I would like to go to a rimfire one with my wife

I teach classes on the east coast. Check out VOD tactical rimfire on FB or message me here. Rimfire specific have a intro class and an advanced class. I wouldn’t want to take a class unless the instructor is outperforming everyone in the country in what he’s teaching. Just my thoughts.

I teach classes on the east coast. Check out VOD tactical rimfire on FB or message me here. Rimfire specific have an intro class and an advanced class. I wouldn’t want to take a class unless the instructor is outperforming everyone in the country in what he’s teaching. Just my thoughts.
    You haven’t heard of rifles only?
    And you are just going to plug yourself instead?

Oh I’ve heard of em. Just not in the rimfire game. And yep looks like I did didn’t I?
    The question was asked about rimfire classes

If you don't do rimfire why are you responding