• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Right, wrong, or indifferent?

308sniper147

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2013
Huntsville, AL
I went on a outing to shoot my rifle some out to 600 and also get my 100 yard zero with my vortex pst FFP scope. Well while I was plinking at 600 on my steel it started to rain. I shot out in it for maybe 30 minutes and packed it up and went inside. I dried everything off throughly except for one thing. 5 bullets I had loaded were in the rain so I simply closed the top on my ammo case and stuck it in the car. Well I noticed today that they had built up some black gunk on the bullet. I don't want to say it was rust but it might be. So I took some of my meguires paint polish for my car and rolled the bullet in it. Then simply scrubbed it with a towel by hand, and then a seperate towel to dry it off and get any leftover residue off. So my question is, is this a good method? Or are there better ways to has this done. My conceptualization of the car polish is, it was designed to put a smooth finish on car clear coat which is exponentially softer than metal so ever if there is microscopic residue left there is no chance of it harming my barrel in any way. Even though I don't think there is anything left on the bullets anyway. I would love to get some opinions.
Here are some small iphone pics, just click on them to make them larger.

Before polishing
image.jpg
After polishing
image.jpg
The polish used
image.jpg

Indifferent.........shoot 'em and don't sweat it

Copper don't rust it will tarnish. If your worried about a film of polish just wipe them down with some alcohol .

Sorry, my metallurgy is a bit "rusty" :) lol. It didn't look or feel like rust in anyway. I just didn't want to provide shitty information.
And thanks for the tip about alcohol, it seems like a good one.