• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rim X extractor?

Ruslow

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
AR
Was just on the zermatt website looking for a spare mag and saw that they offer a different extractor for the eley branded 22 ammo. I am sure there is a reason but has anyone had extraction issues with the standard a extractor with eley branded ammo? STan

I have a bag of extra extractors in the range bag. Not a great design. Keep spares...

Not the kind of warm and fuzzy feeling going into a match that I was hoping for in a 2k barreled action.

Forums are a terrific place to get a great number of opinions. Here is mine, the cost of which is nothing. Some might have the opinion, I'm overcharging.

My RimX is the finest rimfire I have ever shot. I also own a Deuce and have shot a Vudoo enough to develop a personal preference. I replaced the extractor on my RimX as soon I bought it ( used, the orginal had a small chip. it still extracted fine but you know what it is like when you have a gun new to you ). That extractor is now two years old with thousands of extractions ( hundreds of Eley ). The extraction has been flawless as have all the other functions expected. I cannot really answer your question regarding the Eley extractor but it is commonly believed that Eley has a thinner rim than most other manufacturers. With the perfect prescision evident in all other aspects of the RimX build I would not be surprised if the Eley extractor was made available in order to have a perfect fit with the thinner rims, as opposed to an attempt to negate a "problem".

Just shoot and enjoy your gun. You have one of the very best ever produced. Good choice.
Regards,
dgb

Was just on the zermatt website looking for a spare mag and saw that they offer a different extractor for the eley branded 22 ammo. I am sure there is a reason but has anyone had extraction issues with the standard an extractor with eley branded ammo? STan
I had no idea there was a new Eley specific extractor. With that said I’ve shot bricks upon bricks of Eley with no issues on the regular extractor. Going into the 3rd season with my RimX.

I believe the Eley extractor came out over a year ago. Had a buddy whose RimX struggled to fire Eley. The team at zermatt sent him the new extractor to test, and that fixed his issues. My RimX has been 100% reliable with Eley ammo using the regular extractor. I actually asked Ray if I should try the Eley one, and he advised to not change if the original style worked well still. So far I’m 7k-8k rounds into this rifle, and have changed the extractor once.

Was just on the zermatt website looking for a spare mag and saw that they offer a different extractor for the eley branded 22 ammo. I am sure there is a reason but has anyone had extraction issues with the standard an extractor with eley branded ammo? STan
I personally never had extraction issues using the standard extractor on eley ammo. I had FTF issues with lite primer strikes until I spoke with Ray and was sent the eley specific extractor. Seemed to take care of the issue but since then I’ve switched all my practice and match ammo over to SK and Lapua

Reactions: BigDaddy0381
My RimX now has almost 15K rounds through the action. I have went through 3 extractors and 10 or so tensioner springs and claws. I have owned 2 Vudoo builds as well. RimX is by far may favorite as of now. With that being said I have shot 5-6k rounds of Eley TenX without the first failure to fire or extract issue. That is in -5* to 105*, absolutely flawless. The next lot & brand of ammo is RWS R50 and that start this weekend. I have 5K rounds of it and 10K rounds of Norma Match to practice with. I'll be swapping the tensioner spring and claw tonight and start re zeroing and tuning as well.

Well I bought and am waiting for the 'eley' extractor to show up. went to the range the other day and had atleast one ftf per mag load sometimes 3. Hope this fixes the problem all were 'lite' strikes.Stan

Well I bought and am waiting for the 'eley' extractor to show up. went to the range the other day and had atleast one ftf per mag load sometimes 3. Hope this fixes the problem all were 'lite' strikes.Stan
Many moons ago when I first started using Eley I was having occasional light strikes. I reached out to Zermatt and they ended up sending me a new cocking piece that struck a little deeper. I’m guessing the “010” that is engraved on it meant that it struck 0.010” further. Just a guess.. Zero issues since.

update on the FTF. Put the Eley spec extractor in and it helped. Now just have 1 in 10 FTF. Guess I need to call
zermatt, and see if they know of any other ideas. Stan

Well competed in an ARA match and with eley ammo it has gotten worse.even after recocking now it still will not fire. Had a fellow competitor look at weapon as well as brass case and is definitely lite firing hit. Looked at protrusion and it is fine. So now has to be spring is weak.And yes still waiting on a reply from Rim X.

Well competed in an ARA match and with eley ammo it has gotten worse.even after recocking now it still will not fire. Had a fellow competitor look at weapon as well as brass case and is definitely lite firing hit. Looked at protrusion and it is fine. So now has to be spring is weak.And yes still waiting on a reply from Rim X.

Light strikes can happen for a few reasons. Most common ones are bolts that are very dirty (slow down the striker, easy fix with a break down and cleaning), worn out spring (usually takes many many years of use), headspace out of spec (Seen this way too many times 😬).

I’ve built tons of rimfires from cz’s to full custom actions to anschutz. Some of these customs have gotten extremely pricey with no real benefit or significant advantage over any of the other clones out there. One of the best actions to build on and it won’t kill your wallet is the Bergara B14. In the hands of a good rimfire smith, it will shoot with anything or better (match grade custom fitted barrel of course) and for far less money as well. It will also be reliable with feeding and extraction as well, again with someone who is familiar with working on rimfires. I use to build alot of 64 and 54 based anschutz prs style rifles and with the factory mag setup, it just wasn’t possible to get them all to feed flawlessly. I use to convert them to CZ mags which made them 100%.

Reactions: Pomyluy
Bolt is clean and lite oiled.Even shimmed the firing pin spring in hopes that would help but NOPE. pin protrusion is way more than enough,Next is head space. Have Zero issues with the bucket of bullets ammo but any premium brand the issue shows up.Stan

Bolt is clean and lite oiled.Even shimmed the firing pin spring in hopes that would help but NOPE. pin protrusion is way more than enough,Next is head space. Have Zero issues with the bucket of bullets ammo but any premium brand the issue shows up.Stan

Time to measure the headspace!! Shimming the striker spring is never needed on a rimfire. Many of the factory springs are way stronger then needed, especially actions that they make for magnum calibers such as the hmr and wmr. They tend to use a spring powerful enough for the magnums in the 22 lr version and just feel it’s better cause it reduces lock time. The issue with doing this is that added vibration from the striker hitting like a freight train can cause a loss in accuracy. Many times I use to get springs made around 10% less in power depending on the rifle. cz’s use way too strong of spring while anschutz rifles tend to be about perfect.

Reactions: Pomyluy
My first rimx that i have had since late 2020 has a triggertech diamond single stage trigger in it. Never a problem. Got another rimx and put triggertech diamond 2 stage in and had light strikes with eley ammo. Switched to a bix two stage and never a light strike with eley again.

problem seems to be fixed. Ray as well as Jelrod1 messaged myself and figured that the firing pin was not screwed all way to stop. So did that and worked perfect. Now just need to learn not to short stroke it.Stan