• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rimfire accuracy with a can?

The_end

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2006
PHX, AZ
I'm getting a Savage MKII as a trainer after reading nothing but good reviews on them. I have a Tactical Innovations TAC65 I play with from time to time and was wondering if it would negatively affect accuracy on the MKII if I were to have the factory barrel threaded. I live near AWC Suppressors and was going to have them do the barrel work.

Re: Rimfire accuracy with a can?

I'm no expert, but I've never heard of anything that you should worry about. In fact, I'm getting ready to put one on my MKII as well.

Cans tend to improve accuracy all around because they check the propellant gasses that normally would overtake the bullet when it exits the muzzle. These gasses can act irregularly on the bullet in the first inches of flight and disturb accuracy.

I shoot the same suppressor on a .22LR and a .17HM2. I've never tried to document what's happening with the .22 but it definitely tightens up the groups a touch with the .17.

I have a Tac65 that I use on my .22's. I run it on a CZ 452 Varmint regularly in a 3/8 silhouette fun match with no issues. If I miss it's my fault.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J_Roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to get off topic, but could someone tell me how much I can expect to pay to get my barrel threaded? </div></div>

Seems like most good thread jobs are ~$75-$125

I'm going to be shopping around as I just ordered a 223 and 22 can from Griffin Armament. All my AR platform type rifles/pistols are threaded but might thread some of my 93/MKII Savages.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfitters</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Seems like most good thread jobs are ~$75-$125....</div></div>
+1

any of you guys who have a factory threaded 22lr barrel had problems with it?

i had to take a radiused edge off of the base of the threads from my nordic nc22 upper because my can wouldnt screw all the way on. i think they said it was a green mountain barrel?

all the barrels i've had threaded aftermarket have had the barrel diameter turned down smaller than the threads just behind them so my the can butts up square against the face of the barrel.

Thanks for all of the replies. When I use the Tac65 on my P22, all you can hear is the action of the semi auto, a wizz, and a thud.
laugh.gif
It'll be a blast on a bolt gun.

thread it up and get ready for unlimited fun. AWC will thread that up for you without problems.