• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Rimfire Can Spraying

mdmp5

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2009
    A friend of mine got his first can, a Dead Air Mask. When he screwed it onto his Ruger bolt rifle, the rifle started spraying like 7 shot with no choke. I asked him about baffle strikes, but he can't see any evidence of any. His threads are also reportedly concentric. I've heard good things about Dead Air, but is it possible the QC was lacking on this can? I am posting bc I have never heard of accuracy loss with a 22 can.

Did he check alignment via bolt out and look through the bore?
    Did he do a rod check?
    Are they factory cut threads?

I recently bought a Ruger barrel that was cut by a 'gunsmith' and the threads were lose and the can wouldn't align properly without a spacing washer due to the thread to shoulder cut and thread cut.

Did he check alignment via bolt out and look through the bore?
    Did he do a rod check?
    Are they factory cut threads?

I recently bought a Ruger barrel that was cut by a 'gunsmith' and the threads were lose and the can wouldn't align properly without a spacing washer due to the thread to shoulder cut and thread cut.

I only know that he had the threads cut, and was told they were concentric. Is this definitely the likely weak link?

There can be accuracy loss with a rim fire can for sure. Just talked about over on the vudoo thread.

If the threads aren’t concentric to the bore he will have baffle strikes.

A co-worker had the same issue with his Warlock II on a Savage bolt rifle.

The rifle threads were longer than the can’s threads. We put some shims between the barrel shoulder and can so the muzzle did not intrude as far into the can’s blast chamber. The grouping tightened right up.

I only know that he had the threads cut, and was told they were concentric. Is this definitely the likely weak link?
    It was in the case of my Ruger barrel.

My Vudoo barrel threads are tight and right. My Tactical Solutions Axiom only shifts point of aim .3-.4" and has delivered the best 5 shot 50y groups. Same goes for the .17 Mach2 and .17HMR.

Make sure the base of the can is meeting the shoulder of the barrel, sometimes if the barrel is threaded long the threads can bottom out on the baffle.

Reactions: SBRSarge
    A friend of mine got his first can, a Dead Air Mask. When he screwed it onto his Ruger bolt rifle, the rifle started spraying like 7 shot with no choke. I asked him about baffle strikes, but he can't see any evidence of any. His threads are also reportedly concentric. I've heard good things about Dead Air, but is it possible the QC was lacking on this can? I am posting bc I have never heard of accuracy loss with a 22 can.

Has anyone had this issue with the QB 22 Ti? I was told by person at the range that he could not get the QB 22 Ti to shoot the same POI when when he would clean the cups and that the POI with his can was not near the same without the can He said that the POI would change alot and would need to change his scope setting each time. I sure hope this is not the norm for I have one just waiting for the stamp approval to return to complete. Tell me this is not true.

In my experience, problems are more likely to be an issue with the barrel threads. Most good cans will have proper tolerances and/or threading on their mounts. The can manufacturers know how critical that is.