• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rimfire Match Ammo Tiers

DeathBeforeDismount

Midpack Mafia
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2021
IN YOUR HEAD
Hello. I understand each gun will shoot lots differently but with there being so many different brands/lines out there and with stuff being really hard to find, I was wondering where everyone kind of places the various rimfire match ammo. Stuff goes from $5 to $30+ a box.

Are most of you shooting Midas, CX, Tenex, SK Match, Wolf Extra, RWS50/100?

What you will find is just as you stated, each rifle will shoot ammo differently. With that being said, many people set out to find out what shoots well in their specific rifle by purchasing several different types of ammo, and several different "lots" within those brands. Then shooting the ammo and finding out what performs the best in their specific setup.

At this time, ammo is relatively hard to get and can be overpriced. Many people shoot what they can get.

I personally have a Vudoo, and shoot Lapua Center X, SK Long range match and SK Standard plus...with some occasional Norma tac 22.

If you do a brief search, or scroll down on this page currently, you will find a thread that outlines where everyone is finding ammo currently and start from there. Here is a link to the thread https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/where-to-get-ammo-now-post.7050025/

In my book, Midas, Tenex and RWS50 are at the top of my list, in that order. Most of the time I use CX (Center-X) as it is pretty much the same as Midas as it's nothing more than Midas cartridges that don't meet the Midas standard. . . maybe Midas is simply CX cartridges that meet a higher standard. 🥴 lol . . . sometimes I've had my CX shoot better than my Midas.

Center-X
1642697804321.png

1642697821506.png

Midas+

1642697849284.png

1642697865985.png

$1200 a case for CX, $1500 for Midas+

YMMV

Might help if you include what kind of match(es) you are going to shoot.

Rimfire Challenge: affordable reliable ammo, for me that's 40 grain Blazers...I need another case or two, but not going to buy it a brick at a time for $50.

Bench rest: Probably Tenex, RWS or Midas+

PRS: what ever your gun shoots best

PRS22/NRL22/NRL22X.. Going in a Vudoo and won't be able to send to test center until next year.

Is the SK long range really better than a CX or RWS that shoots better @ 100?

Its completely subjective based on your rifle and barrel. You'll have to try them all to see what works best for your application.

In an ideal world - this would mean buying a box of each, testing them, looking at results, and then going back and buying a ton of whatever shoots best.

Its completely subjective based on your rifle and barrel. You'll have to try them all to see what works best for your application.

In an ideal world - this would mean buying a box of each, testing them, looking at results, and then going back and buying a ton of whatever shoots best.
This is it in a nutshell. The reason you get twenty answers as to what is best is that of the twenty people who respond there may be twenty different "Best" ammunitions depending on their specific rifles.......

PRS22/NRL22/NRL22X.. Going in a Vudoo and won't be able to send to test center until next year.

Is the SK long range really better than a CX or RWS that shoots better @ 100?
Going in a Vudoo the easy answer is SK or Lapua (depending on what's available and your budget).
I've not tried Eley or RWS in mine but I'm sure others have and some may have had good results. I usually try to get CX, I have bought some Midas+ but don't really feel the returns were worth the cost, I bought it because that's all that was available. I would never go so far as Exact $$$$$$$.
It's always that same old story of your rifle and lot #'s.
Generally speaking, your Vudoo will shoot ALL CX or M+pretty well, so buy what you and your budget can tolerate. It's just that SOME lots will perform exceptionally well in your rifle and right now we don't have the luxury of trying lots and going back to buy what's best. Some SK products may also be top performers but again, generally speaking, the entry level ammo usually starts to show why it's lower priced at 200yds +-.
When you get to send your rifle to Lapua test center that will be the opportunity to have many lots tried and load-up on the good stuff.

Depends on your chamber. My TS Customs RimX has the Primal Rights 1.5 degree chamber and shoots SK & Lapua extremely well. I practice with SK rifle match, but it shoots good enough to win a match. Lapua Center X shoots better.
Typical 10 shot CenterX group. (Bipod)
IMG_1311.jpeg

My Winchester 52C likes RWS R50, and shoots the Norma Tac22, good enough to practice with.

When the Lapua/SK, Eley, RWS, plants runs a lot of rimfire ammo, they test and how well that particular lot groups in the test rifles, denotes what box it goes in.

Hello. I understand each gun will shoot lots differently but with there being so many different brands/lines out there and with stuff being really hard to find, I was wondering where everyone kind of places the various rimfire match ammo. Stuff goes from $5 to $30+ a box.

Are most of you shooting Midas, CX, Tenex, SK Match, Wolf Extra, RWS50/100?
I shoot long range steel matches. My Kidd Supergrade likes Wolf Match Target, Extra and Eley Club. My Tikka T1x shoots about anything. It like SK ammo best. I am shooting SK Biathon and SK Standard+ in it now. My Bergara B14R will shoot about anything also. I am shooting Eley Club in it now. These 3 guns will run Sub MOA out to 300yds in good wind conditions, with their preferred ammo. I don't shoot a lot paper groups, just to check new ammo or to Zero the scope. I shoot steel most of the time. I shoot KYL's at 50 and 100yds. Other steel out 300yds. We are shooting 2" sq, and 3" sq. knockdown target in this years long range matches. 2" at 165 yds and 200yds. 3" at 220yds. and 287 yds. This ammo does very well on these targets.
I tried Lapua CX, Midas and Eley Tennex in the Kidd when it was new. They shot just barely better than Club and Wolf MT. I have a 2 brick left of one lot of Wolf ME, that shoots better than anything I have shot in the Kidd.
You never know what is going to shoot in your guns. A guys I shoot with, got some Eley Force. He gave us a few boxes to try. It ran so so at 50yds, but shoots great a 220yds and 287yds on the 2 and 3" targets.
Mark

Reactions: sparkyv
I tried about 15 different types of ammo in my T1x and Center X was the best, I'd have to check my notes for number 2 but I do know it was one of the cheapest options

If I am reading this right the 24.28 MM , is end to end of bullet edges which equates to .976 inch at 100 meters?

24.28mm to inches is 0.956 inches. And it's measured edge to edge. So if you're doing standard MOA measurements, then it would be 0.956-0.221 so 0.735 inches center to center at 100m. Converting that to MOA. 1.047" at 100y and 100m being 109y, gives me something like 0.65 moa for a 10 shot group at 100m.

I want to state here that it is true that rifles have ammo that shoots better. The fallacy that I see is some folks thinking that there is some rifle/ammo combination that will make a bad rifle or ammo shoot well. It is still the lowest hole in the bucket that determines water level. It cannot be otherwise.

I want to state here that it is true that rifles have ammo that shoots better. The fallacy that I see is some folks thinking that there is some rifle/ammo combination that will make a bad rifle or ammo shoot well. It is still the lowest hole in the bucket that determines water level. It cannot be otherwise.
It's all about the Agg's, huh?🤯 :)

Reactions: RTH1800

I really like that analogy around the lowest hole in the bucket...

Reactions: RTH1800
I have a RimX with a Shilen barrel that loves Center-X and doesn't like RWS R-50 or any of the lower quality levels. I am currently shooting Eley Club because it was all I could find during this panic. Once things settle down I expect to go back to Center-X. If I run out of Eley Club and still can't find Center-X I will have to give Eley Match a try.

Perfectly stated

I would also add, that if lot shoots very very well in one rifle, it will have a higher propensity / probability of shooting well in other rifles. Good SDs and low ESs, are just that.

Perfectly stated

I would also add, that if lot shoots very very well in one rifle, it will have a higher propensity / probability of shooting well in other rifles. Good SDs and low ESs, are just that.
In general, I agree. But when it comes to rimfire cartridges, there can be good SD's and ES's and with various dents, dings or other manufacturing flaws the results are not going to correspond the those ES's and SD's.

In general, I agree. But when it comes to rimfire cartridges, there can be good SD's and ES's and with various dents, dings or other manufacturing flaws the results are not going to correspond the those ES's and SD's.
I was very careful and did not speak in absolutes. Nothing is a certain when it comes to rimfire. I have done extensive lot to lot ( same brand, different production runs, five to seven lots at a time ). Testing over a chronograph for my shooting, in my experience the 'great' lots generally have the best ES numbers of the testing pool EDIT and shoot better in more of my rifles YMMV

Last edited:
Which test center did you send it to? I know they have one in Ohio, is the other one in Texas?

Gotta see what your rifle likes, my Sako loves SK match, out to 100yrds it’s like a little laser gun

You will see a direct correlation with long range accuracy and low SD/ES numbers. But like stated above, your rifle has to generally shoot it well in the first place. With that said I'll always choose lots with those low SD/ES numbers over group size, unless it's really bad.

You will see a direct correlation with long range accuracy and low SD/ES numbers. But like stated above, your rifle has to generally shoot it well in the first place. With that said I'll always choose lots with those low SD/ES numbers over group size, unless it's really bad.
Low SD/ES "should" make for good groups. I bought a couple bricks of SK Rifle Match expecting it to be "much better" than CCI-SV I have, it wasn't any better or any worse out of my 10/22 Target. With that same SKRM out my Vudoo, I was expecting to perform really well...it didn't. I have a two different lots of SKPM that are both better than the best I got out of the SKRM.

Low SD/ES "should" make for good groups. I bought a couple bricks of SK Rifle Match expecting it to be "much better" than CCI-SV I have, it wasn't any better or any worse out of my 10/22 Target. With that same SKRM out my Vudoo, I was expecting to perform really well...it didn't. I have a two different lots of SKPM that are both better than the best I got out of the SKRM.
What were the numbers out of the SK RM? I realize the numbers aren't everything, but those deviations will be seen at long range. Inside of 100 yards, not so much. Like someone else said, I'm avoiding absolutes here.
I've also shot SK red box that were lights out and others I'd just use for plinking. It seems like I run everything with a chrono before shooting it at a long range match. Low numbers and then 50 yard accuracy is what I prioritize.

Reactions: sparkyv
Gotta see what my rifle likes?

I can do that. No, I already did that. ;)

Took almost three years to try all the brands and types of rimfire sold in the US.
Learned it has absolutely nothing to do with brand
and absolutely everything to do with cartridge quality.

If the cartridges are dented, dinged, scratched or chipped...expect strays.

If the drive bands are irregular, uneven, asymmetric...expect strays.

If the crimp line is slanted, bullet loose in the crimp or seated at different depths or angles...there will be strays.

If bullet material is compressed down over the crimp down on to the brass... there's gonna be strays.

If the brass shape and dimensions aren't uniform and to spec...yep, strays.

If the primer/powder charges differ in amount... there's going to be mv spread.

It's the uniformity of components, assembly and muzzle velocity we're chasing.
Problem is, brand is no guarantee of finding those well made cartridges. :(

I've had a box of cheap CCI SV put 50 shots through a hole I could cover with a nickle.
I've had Tenex that threw vertical fliers and when checked, was showing an SD of 24 and ES of 81.
It all comes down to the luck of the factory assembly line lottery.
We pays our money, we takes our chances.
Sometimes we get ammunition that produces results worth bragging about.
Other times, not. :(

Last edited:
Take this for what it's worth. It's not a fair comparison, since I used a lot more RM than PM. Also, the "first string" needs to take "cold bore" in to consideration. I have more SKPM data in my range book, but haven't put it in the spreadsheet. IMHO, the SKPM has been more consistent than the SKRM. All MV data was captured with a Magneto Speed V3, mounted on the ARCA spigot of my Vudoo Three 60 with 20" MTU Ace barrel, in MPU BA Comp chassis, off the bench, Atlas CAL bipod, rear bag, Trigger Tech Diamond...not sure how much of that is relevant to the data.

ETA: all "strings" are ten rounds.

ETA2: Blank spaces or 0 is data I didn't capture/record...

Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 8.59.18 PM.png

Last edited:
@justin amateur and others.
Does anyone KNOW if it is true that the best lots of ammo are not even sold to the public? I have heard that many times but never from a source I had confidence in.
Thanks