• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rimfire Optics ~$100

Joshuaray83

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2019
Eastern Iowa
Looking to get my first bolt action rifle. I was previously in the market for a centerfire, but plans changed. I'm likely getting a Savage B22 FV and I'm looking to top it with a budget variable zoom optic. This rifle will be used for plinking and maybe local match every so often. Here are the features I'm looking for:

1. Decent glass quality.
2. Reliable tracking.
3. Magnification range of 2-7 or 3-9. I don't need anything of higher magnification.
4. Adjustable parallax would be nice. I'm not sure if that is absolutely necessary, however.
5. Would prefer a mil-dot retice > duplex reticle > BDC reticle.
6. Scope durability would be nice, but I treat my things well, so not a huge factor.
7. I'm just learning, so no preference on MOA or Mil. I'll just learn with the first scope I get and then stick with that going forward.
8. Scope size and weight are pretty irrelevant to me.

So far, the Riton RT-S Mod 3 GEN2 2-7x32 seems like a good fit, but according to their sight it only has 40 MOA of adjustment range, which is crap. I've been able to find that optic for around $100, which is my max budget. Please stay within that realm. No, I'm not going to save for a $200+ optic on a $200 rifle.

What are other optics options out there? Or are there other features that would be more beneficial than the ones I've listed that I should look for?

ive had luck with simmons on 22lr's in the past
no adj parralax but they do the job and were in that price range

Reactions: Joshuaray83
Looking to get my first bolt action rifle. I was previously in the market for a centerfire, but plans changed. I'm likely getting a Savage B22 FV and I'm looking to top it with a budget variable zoom optic. This rifle will be used for plinking and maybe local match every so often. Here are the features I'm looking for:

1. Decent glass quality.
2. Reliable tracking.
3. Magnification range of 2-7 or 3-9. I don't need anything of higher magnification.
4. Adjustable parallax would be nice. I'm not sure if that is absolutely necessary, however.
6. Scope durability would be nice, but I treat my things well, so not a huge factor.
7. I'm just learning, so no preference on MOA or Mil. I'll just learn with the first scope I get and then stick with that going forward.

So far, the Riton RT-S Mod 3 GEN2 2-7x32 seems like a good fit, but according to their sight it only has 40 MOA of adjustment range, which is crap. I've been able to find that optic for around $100, which is my max budget. Please stay within that realm. No, I'm not going to save for a $200+ optic on a $200 rifle.

What are other optics options out there? Or are there other features that would be more beneficial than the ones I've listed that I should look for?
If your glass doesn’t cost twice what the rifle does, your not doing it right. Good luck on a $100 scope that tracks well enough for “competition”.

If your glass doesn’t cost twice what the rifle does, your not doing it right. Good luck on a $100 scope that tracks well enough for “competition”
That's pretty elitist. If you can't go compete on a budget just to have fun, you're not doing it right. I'm dipping my feet in the water and my expectations on quality are tempered. Relax.

Op- you might be able to find a used vortex in that price range. Over on another site they swear by mueller apv scopes as budget scopes.

Somewhere in my safe I have a weaver that I picked up for around 100.00 a few years ago and it has held up just fine as long as I don’t try to dial. Glass isn’t great and it’s a 3-9 but I bought it for a cheap scope to drop on a truck gun.

I
That's pretty elitist. If you can't go compete on a budget just to have fun, you're not doing it right. I'm dipping my feet in the water and my expectations on quality are tempered. Relax.
im not trying to be elitist by suggesting a $100 scope is not a good idea. You could be looking for one for under $50. Would that be too little $$ to get the job done. I’d say it is. So is $100. Just advise. I don’t think I need to relax. You asked for opinions? This Is th the snipers hide. I think my assessment is more realistic than yours. The twice the rifle, is a bit tongue and cheek (true though). You did mention proper tracking, didn’t you? You can get what your looking for for around $200, maybe, especially if you find something used. Vortex, bushnell, athlon ??

If this isn't your first rifle, I'd just borrow a scope from one of your other rifles. Don't change the zero on it so you can mount it back on your previous rifle and shoot that way.

For me, yes budget is budget, but I rather save the $100, and use that towards something of usable quality than to spend it, have no resale, and not be useful.

I went out to a competition, local fun match. I had a $150 3-9x, it minimum parallaxed at like 75 yards. It was also SFP. I couldn't see any of the 25 yard targets. Reticle was useless as the holdovers didn't mean anything. 9x was a bit small also if you're shooting 1/4" targets.

I'd go up to like $200 and get a used Vortex Diamondback FFP 4-16x.

Time is also money. When you pull the trigger, and you missed, you want to know for certain it was your fault, not because your scope didn't track or your rifle didn't shoot right. If you can't determine why you missed, then you're just wasting your time (money), and ammo (money) shooting. So there is I would say some baseline if you're trying to learn and get better.

As others have said your issue will be finding something that is reliable and that tracks consistently for $100. I’m not saying there isn’t something out there but if there is I haven’t seen it. If you keep an eye on Natchez, eBay and the PX here you may be able to find one of the fixed power Bushnell or Weaver 10x scopes. You can usually find a good deal on those and they are reliable with decent glass. They also come with a mil dot reticle.

I have a good friend who just bought a rifle and needs glass but money is tight right now. I gave him one of my basic optics so he can shoot the rifle until he can save up to get something. I just didn’t want to see him spend $100 on a piece of trash that I know will never work. A lot of the cheap scopes will work if you set them and forget them. As soon as you start dialing the turrets all bets are off though. I watched this happen with a competitor this last season. He had a cheap UTG scope. He would start off great but as soon as he dialed his turrets his shots would start getting progressively more off target as the match went on.

If you can bump that budget to $150-200 you should be able to get something much more likely to work for you. I’ll looks around at my usual haunts and if I see anything I will post it for you here. You can also keep an eye out for one of the Vortex Diamondback tactical in 3-9 or 4-12. I have seen those going for around $150 lately if you catch a sale.

Last edited:
Take a look at this. I’m not sure if I can paste an eBay link but I believe I have seen it done before. I believe these are actually Japanese made scopes. I have a friend with one and it has been pretty reliable for him.

If this isn't your first rifle, I'd just borrow a scope from one of your other rifles. Don't change the zero on it so you can mount it back on your previous rifle and shoot that way.

For me, yes budget is budget, but I rather save the $100, and use that towards something of usable quality than to spend it, have no resale, and not be useful.

I went out to a competition, local fun match. I had a $150 3-9x, it minimum parallaxed at like 75 yards. It was also SFP. I couldn't see any of the 25 yard targets. Reticle was useless as the holdovers didn't mean anything. 9x was a bit small also if you're shooting 1/4" targets.

I'd go up to like $200 and get a used Vortex Diamondback FFP 4-16x.

The Diamondback tactical FFP is leaps and bounds better than the Burris I posted. It would be well worth it in the long run but it will be at least double the cost.

Joshua, I think I have a Leupold 2-7 in MOA you can have. I’ll even cover the shipping. My condition is that you use it until you can save up for a better scope appropriate for competition. Once you buy something new try to pay it forward. I’ll send you a pm later once I get my hands on it and make sure everything works as it should.

A used PA 4-14 FFP mil/mil may could be found for around a hondo.

They track well.

Joshua, I think I have a Leupold 2-7 in MOA you can have. I’ll even cover the shipping. My condition is that you use it until you can save up for a better scope appropriate for competition. Once you buy something new try to pay it forward. I’ll send you a pm later once I get my hands on it and make sure everything works as it should.
YOU are a very good person ....

Last summer I picked up a Savage mkii g with a Nikon prostaff 3-9 for my sons birthday. Everything came in at around $350. My first point is that it’s been a blast!! Shooting 22lr is so much fun! No recoil, cheap as hell to shoot, and pretty accurate. Also don’t have to drive anywhere to shoot it. My 5 acres is more than enough.
That said, six months later I’m itching for a better rifle and a better scope. Yes, I know it was my sons b-day present, but whatever.. we’re both having fun..
I’d say this, if you want to shoot cans and bottles, or general plinking, this set up or any like it will serve you well.
If you want to shoot longer distances, or push what you and the rifle can do, get something better. It all depends on what you want to get out of it. I can’t say I know your budget, for me I’m looking to upgrade to the Tikka, which seems a solid rifle with aftermarket parts to grow with you. For a scope I’m looking at any one of the newer ffp scopes in the 500$ range. If I wasn’t a chef working in north Idaho, I’d be planning on spending more but money is tight.

these guys gave some very good advice! I have a whole cabinet full of inexpensive Scopes that don't work from fogging to cloudiness and reticles broken and crooked inexpensive Scopes generally don't work. They're better than they were 20 years ago it's still not a good idea usually.

1. Decent glass quality.
2. Reliable tracking.

Josh,
These guys are trying to save you from getting a bad scope and having to replace it with a better scope, we have all don't that. You need to look at the warranty and reviews. All of Vortex scope come with Vortex VIP Lifetime Warranty. It may very hard to meet all of your spec. for $100.00 see https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420269142 and https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102043861?pid=592676

Good Luck
Mark

Josh,
These guys are trying to save you from getting a bad scope and having to replace it with a better scope, we have all don't that. You need to look at the warranty and reviews. All of Vortex scope come with Vortex VIP Lifetime Warranty. It may very hard to meet all of your spec. for $100.00 see https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420269142 and https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102043861?pid=592676

Good Luck
Mark
Thanks for all the advice. I just want to get out there and start shooting. But I do understand that maybe I need to temper my expectations a little more than I thought.

nikon p tac 3-9 mk1 mil/mil or moa/moa.

I bought one way back when they were priced highe, as a supplemental lvpo for my pvs30 and some rimfire fun at night. Tracks as should and glass is surprisingly very nice.

20190830_150415.jpg

Josh, that is a tough dilema!

If you buy a used scope make sure the Co has a good warranty!

There is a HUGE difference between a cheap plinking scope and a scope suitable for match use, and when I say that I mean like the NRL22 and other more dynamic matches that have scenarios with targets at different distances.

Go to one of these matches with a scope that does not focus close, has bad glass, just a plain reticle, and is basically an airsoft scope, and you'll be sad you got it!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better off spending a little more money than your budget is allowing. BTW you wouldn't be the first person around that tried to get by with the cheaper route. That often doesn't end well!

Anyway, the only really cheap scope I have been very happy with (for the cost) is my SFP Athlon Talos 4-16x40.
It has surprisingly good glass, side focus 10 yard close focus, a mildot reticle, .1 mil turrets, and has held up now for 2 years on a centerfire.

Shop around, you can find them new for around $150.

At that price point i would be looking at scopes with a reticle that you like and forget about dialing. Like someone said earlier, most of the cheap scopes will be ok if you set and forget.

Reactions: JKW70
You may want to check out the Athlon Talos 3-12x40. My brother just picked up the 4-16x version with mil dot reticle and I was surprised at the clarity and brightness! In addition, it has side paralax adjustment which adjusts down to 15 yds. The reticle is more coarse than I like for competition, but for 129.00, it would be darn near impossible to find an optic with an etched reticle. Athlon has a fantastic warranty to boot.

For the money the talos btr 4x16 gets the job done,I have one on my t1x, until I switch it out with a midas tac I have on another rig...no complaints for the price.....have shot it out to 415 yds and saw my hits on steel.had to dial about 15 mils and hold the rest on the reticle,,,,

You may want to check out the Athlon Talos 3-12x40. My brother just picked up the 4-16x version with mil dot reticle and I was surprised at the clarity and brightness! In addition, it has side paralax adjustment which adjusts down to 15 yds. The reticle is more coarse than I like for competition, but for 129.00, it would be darn near impossible to find an optic with an etched reticle. Athlon has a fantastic warranty to boot.
That's a good option too. For some reason, I kinda forget about Athlon sometimes. They have a good reputation, but they never seem to be anyone's go-to brand. Maybe I'm mistaken.

That's a good option too. For some reason, I kinda forget about Athlon sometimes. They have a good reputation, but they never seem to be anyone's go-to brand. Maybe I'm mistaken.
Out here, the Athlon scopes are becoming increasingly more popular, especially for Base class rigs. However, even a lot of Open class shooters are using them now. Based on what I saw with my shooting buddy's new Midas TAC, I will probably own one the next time I buy an optic. At all levels of their lineup, there is a pretty big bang for your buck!

Take the free Leupold. Save up. Next Black Friday buy an SWFA SS 10x or 12x . I got one this year with rings, shade and level for $234 shipped. That is about $100 for the scope. That scope will take you as far as you want to go in 22lr practical shooting and the tracking is perfect, the warranty bulletproof.

Take the free Leupold. Save up. Next Black Friday buy an SWFA SS 10x or 12x . I got one this year with rings, shade and level for $234 shipped. That is about $100 for the scope. That scope will take you as far as you want to go in 22lr practical shooting and the tracking is perfect, the warranty bulletproof.
I've been chatting with Eoddave27 and you've all convinced me to take him up on his offer. It says a lot about a person that they would be willing to do that for a stranger. This community is pretty tight, even for us newcomers, and it's cool to be a part of it.

Reactions: mtrmn

When did telling the truth and giving good advice become 'elitist'.
As others have said, save up, buy used or lower your expectations.

When did telling the truth and giving good advice become 'elitist'.
As others have said, save up, buy used or lower your expectations.
It's not about telling the truth, it's about how it was done. I would have understood if someone said, "Hey, you might want to lower your expectations. A $100 optic isn't going to check all your boxes. Think about eliminating x, y, or z and you might have a shot." There was no alternative or anything constructive provided. Simply saying, "It can't be done." doesn't contribute to discussion on the topic.

For example, others have provided suggestions like getting something with a decent reticle and use the reticle for holdovers instead of turrets after zeroing. That's a good suggestion. Even if examples of optics aren't provided, discussion can still be had.

You can buy a rifle that is good and then you buy a cheap scope which is your guiding system for all the rest. Purchasing a inexpensive scope is like buying a car without a steering wheel.

You can buy a rifle that is good and then you buy a cheap scope which is your guiding system for all the rest. Purchasing a inexpensive scope is like buying a car without a steering wheel.

That's a good point. It sounds like the optic should be treated almost as more important than the rifle.

That's a good point. It sounds like the optic should be treated almost as more important than the rifle.

It is. Can't hit what you can't see. Can't repeatedly hit without tracking.

I have a Simmons that sits on a shelf above my bench. Every time I think about a cheap scope I remember that one couldn't live on a simple Marlin 92 .22lr. it's broken and doesn't track.

I have a "cheap" (used from the PX here for $380) $750 scope on a $300 gun. It tracks, good enough glass, and most importantly I can trust it.

I have a $75 BSA sitting here that I'm trying to figure out what to do with. Came off an izhmash biathlon. Guy sold it because it wouldn't do better than 2" groups at 25 yards. Turns out with a good scope it does .25" at 25 yards. The reticle jumps shot to shot with just .22 recoil.

For what it's worth Mueller and Millet make some decent budget scopes that track. Glass sucks, but they're usable. They're already going to be $150+.

I've heard those are great glad for the money simply because of the fixed magnification. They can make everything else about them better. I just don't know if I can get past that. The flexibility that adjustable magnification provides us pretty big since this 22 will be used for various tasks (plinking, hunting, target practice, maybe competition).

I wonder if that grizzly is that "one out of a hundred" that isn't going to ignore you.

As to optics for the OP, closes one I could think of that comes even close to your want list with a decent track record is a Nikon that has an AO 3x9 for around $140 msrp. However Nikon is getting out of rifle scopes so warranty work is a gamble. I'd definitely take up EODDave's generous offer of the 2-7 lupy. IF it were me with a low budget and I had to have variable magnification for competition use I'd save up and wait to find a used SWFA 3-15 for under $350 as they just blew them out this past black friday at $400. But I'm a SWFA fanboy, so my opinion is worth what you paid for it.

I just dropped him a medium flat rate box with the 2-7 Leupold. I packed the rest of the box with some shooting bags, a bipod and some other extra shooting gear I had laying around. The scope just has a standard duplex reticle but it should allow him to shoot and give him some time to save up for something nice. I’m sure he will remember the gesture and pay it forward some day. He can teach his kids about guns and shooting as well. We have got to take care of our own here and if we don’t teach our kids about firearms the second amendment could very well die with our generation.

It's true. Eoddave27 went out of his way to get someone started in this game. Couldn't have asked for a kinder gesture from this community. I'll post an update once I pay it forward.