• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rimfire Scope - $2500 Budget

kthomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
About to get into the precision rimfire game.

My plan is to get a Rim-X in a Foundation stock with a BnA trigger. What I haven't decided on is what scope to get.

My budget is $2500 or less. Not afraid to go used or to get a demo. I can get a brand new Vortex Gen 3 for $2500, maybe less. A new Nightforce NX8 4-32 with Mil-XT for around $2k or less.

I currently have Khales and Steiner scopes on my center-fire rifles, but I'm fairly brand agnostic.

For my budget, what should I be looking at?

S&B PM2 5-25 used is in this $2,500 price range
and has 10m parallax, its worth taking a look at.

(I'm assuming you OK with the 40oz weight,
if you are looking at vortex Razor.)

Reactions: kthomas
First match I went to there was a standing unsupported stage at 15y. My scope was blurry having a 25y minimum parallax.

That's interesting. After shooting NRL22/PRS for 3 years I haven't seen anything sub 25. I guess maybe at nationals they had a 22yard KYL.

I run a ZCO which is 25m, and never had any encounters worrying about it.

About to get into the precision rimfire game.

My plan is to get a Rim-X in a Foundation stock with a BnA trigger. What I haven't decided on is what scope to get.

My budget is $2500 or less. Not afraid to go used or to get a demo. I can get a brand new Vortex Gen 3 for $2500, maybe less. A new Nightforce NX8 4-32 with Mil-XT for around $2k or less.

I currently have Khales and Steiner scopes on my center-fire rifles, but I'm fairly brand agnostic.

For my budget, what should I be looking at?
You should be able to pickup a K624i for that price. Kahles is the best glass for the money, IMO. I've only been able to afford one, and I've had it for about 15 years. Just wish I had more money, so I could upgrade that one to a new K318i, and then put a K525i or K624i on every other rifle.

You should be able to pickup a K624i for that price. Kahles is the best glass for the money, IMO. I've only been able to afford one, and I've had it for about 15 years. Just wish I had more money, so I could upgrade that one to a new K318i, and then put a K525i or K624i on every other rifle.

I love Khales. I actually have 3 k624's, lol.

The .300NM that I will sell to fund this project actually has a K624 with AMR reticle. I would keep that scope if I think it would work, but the parallax only goes down to 25 50 yards (edited to correct).

I would love a Khales K525 DLR, as they focus down to 20 yards. But currently not in my budget.

I think Khales is one of the best values in scopes. Perhaps not the best at any one thing, except maybe tracking, but good to great in every category.

Last edited:

The .300NM that I will sell to fund this project actually has a K624 with AMR reticle. I would keep that scope if I think it would work, but the parallax only goes down to 25 yards.

I would love a Khales K525 DLR, as they focus down to 20 yards. But currently not in my budget.

I think Khales is one of the best values in scopes. Perhaps not the best at any one thing, except maybe tracking, but good to great in every category.
My [probably yet another extremely unpopular] opinion... If a shooter can't tell what's what, and can't pinwheel a bullseye at less than 25 yards on 6x power where the glass should be MOST clear, they got much bigger problems, especially at anything past 100 yards. 😂

Maybe this is simply because I've never sighted in any rifle at less than 100 yards, even .22LR and iron sights. So, for me, 100 yards is the main data entry point. I shoot my .22LR rifles at 200 yards every time I go to the range, which is much more difficult to get consistent hits than anything inside of 100 yards. Like I said, in my mind, I just have a hard time comprehending the "parallax less than 25 yards" thing people are always wanting, for a rifle competition... I've seen pistol shooters wearing bulls out at 25 yards. Maybe it's because I just don't see how anything could ever be competitive inside of 100 yards with a rifle? 😂 I used to shoot ASA Pro-Am archery tournaments, and our bullseye aiming points on most of the McKenzie targets were the size of a quarter...Or LESS. And those targets could range anywhere from 10 yards to 60 yards...Non-magnified optics class. So I just have a hard time wrapping my head around these sub-100 yard competitions with scoped rifles. 🤷🏼

My [probably yet another extremely unpopular] opinion... If a shooter can't tell what's what, and can't pinwheel a bullseye at less than 25 yards on 6x power where the glass should be MOST clear, they got much bigger problems, especially at anything past 100 yards. 😂

Maybe this is simply because I've never sighted in any rifle at less than 100 yards, even .22LR and iron sights. So, for me, 100 yards is the main data entry point. I shoot my .22LR rifles at 200 yards every time I go to the range, which is much more difficult to get consistent hits than anything inside of 100 yards. Like I said, in my mind, I just have a hard time comprehending the "parallax less than 25 yards" thing people are always wanting, for a rifle competition... I've seen pistol shooters wearing bulls out at 25 yards. Maybe it's because I just don't see how anything could ever be competitive inside of 100 yards with a rifle? 😂 I used to shoot ASA Pro-Am archery tournaments, and our bullseye aiming points on most of the McKenzie targets were the size of a quarter...Or LESS. And those targets could range anywhere from 10 yards to 60 yards...Non-magnified optics class. So I just have a hard time wrapping my head around these sub-100 yard competitions with scoped rifles. 🤷🏼

Well for one I wouldn't be able to shoot it on my property.

Edited my post to correct. K624 parallax only goes down to 50 yards (not 25) - not enough for me to shoot on my property.

Reactions: FuhQ
Edited my post to correct. K624 parallax only goes down to 50 yards (not 25) - not enough for me to shoot on my property.
Gotcha. But even on 50 yards parallax, and bottoming-out magnification, isn't the scope clear enough to hit your target at very close ranges? I know most of my high-end scopes will still allow a very clear sight picture even down to around 10 yards, when I have everything bottomed-out, even if the parallax isn't accurate to the distance.

Gotcha. But even on 50 yards parallax, and bottoming-out magnification, isn't the scope clear enough to hit your target at very close ranges? I know most of my high-end scopes will still allow a very clear sight picture even down to around 10 yards, when I have everything bottomed-out, even if the parallax isn't accurate to the distance.

It's doable on 6x, but certainly not optimal.

Most of my shooting will be at 50+ yards, so I certainly could consider keeping this k624.

I'll have to think about it.

Reactions: FuhQ
It's doable on 6x, but certainly not optimal.

Most of my shooting will be at 50+ yards, so I certainly could consider keeping this k624.

I'll have to think about it.
Why not give it a try? Then if it's not doing it for you, save the K624i for another centerfire build, and get something with a short parallax for the rimfire.

If you can qualify on Expert Voice, NEW NF 7-35 ATACR Mil-C for $2520.
Or
NF NX8 4-32 Mil-XT fpr $1505
How do you access these discounts? I have the app and military discount on it, nothing comes up for NF

How do you access these discounts? I have the app and military discount on it, nothing comes up for NF
Some companies prefer not to use Expertvoice for various reasons. I know in the case of Nightforce, contact their govt sales directly through your .mil address and they will set you up. Leupold is another. They were on Expertvoice, but left and do it though their own site.
Also, one of the stipulations is you keep the prices to yourself and colleagues.

Last edited:

With a min parallax of 50 yards - you'll have a .6mil error at 25 yards in each direction. So about 1" of variance. It's a pretty high error percentage for a 1/4" steel which is common. Generally we hope to get parallax errors in the .2mil max.

1659670012119.png

I think used Kahles is one of the best values out there. I wouldn't pay MSRP, but at the $2500 price point, the K525i is a great value. I would also like to give the new XTR Pro a workout, it is supposed to be a beast in price range.

I think used Kahles is one of the best values out there. I wouldn't pay MSRP, but at the $2500 price point, the K525i is a great value. I would also like to give the new XTR Pro a workout, it is supposed to be a beast in price range.

I would love to try a K525. I love my K624's.

Start here. https://www.expertvoice.com/who-qualifies/
You can do it online or via their downloadable app.

"Brands want authentic, passionate people who give great advice to others to recommend their products. Not because those people are paid, but because they have real experience with the products and believe they are the best choice. ExpertVoice helps them get their products into the hands of these people so they get recommended more often, and the brands sell more. Each brand decides what discount to offer, and there is a range of discounts on the platform up to 60% off MSRP. Most members are pleasantly surprised about what is available to them once they qualify"

Last edited:
Reactions: Tortuga
I just got a Vudoo and have been waiting about 6 weeks for my Burris XTR Pro. Which really sucks BTW. I have 2 matches this weekend and ended up having to pull a Gen 1 Razor 5-20 off another rifle in order to use my Vudoo.

How far are you going to shoot and how big is the target/shot group you have to make at that distance. Those are the two variables. Simply, those are controlled by magnification and resolution. Magnification is the inexpensive part. Resolution is not.

Less expensive scopes will give you the magnification. More expensive ones will give you both magnification AND resolution. Resolution is great at all distances. But it is not necessary at shorter ranges - 100 yards or less. Both can easily resolve a 1/4-inch bullseye with room to spare.

Another consideration is how short range are you going to go. Usually, high magnification and high-resolution scopes will not adjust parallax for shorter ranges.

If you're trying to shoot bug holes at 100 yards or less high magnification beats resolution for a lot less money.

And so it goes. The further you get out the more resolution you need - until you get mirage and then all bets are even. Then again, rimfire's lack of accuracy past 100 yards defeats that, meaning that your system induced misses are going to be larger than what can be helped with better resolution.

The short story is that I went with a Vortex Strike Eagle for my rimfire trainer. I have never shot it beyond 100 yards and the scope is good enough for that. It also has parallax adjustment to 15 yards. However, the difference in resolution and chromatic aberration correction between the Strike Eagle and my Vortex Razor is LARGE.

In the end, you get what you pay for, or you pay more than what you need to get what you want to accomplish.

Last edited: