• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rimfire Scope Options

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    I am considering getting a new scope for my Winchester 52C sporting rifle. It is factory D&T for a Redfield type mount. The rifle is to be used for tree squirrel hunting as well as casual target shooting. For this applicaton I prefer MOA due to slightly finer adjustment increments. I prefer 1" tube as I want a fairly compact scope. I want a reticule I can hold with and elevation I can dial. Quality glass and precision, repeatable adjustments. No need for power lower than 4X or higher than 16X and could do with less on both ends. AO is manditory. Fine reticule,no illumination needed. Price not an issue. Thank you.
    RTH

Last edited:
    52 C How old is it? Winchester first produced that rifle design in 1919 then commercially in 1920. Is yours collectable? You said redfield type mount. No modifications needed? This was considered a premier accuracy rifle for its time. Is it still accurate? Scope choice questions; will your target remain viable long enough to dial for range? Will your targets be @ different ranges enough to need to dial or hold your range? Can you hold for different ranges? I shoot rodents (squirrels & rock chucks in farm fields) out to 200 yd, w/22lr. SV w/precision rifle. The targets, many times, will not allow me enough time to dial, necessary to guess the range & hold. My first scope trial was MOA FFP Diamondback tactical & subtends where only 1 MOA increments. I changed to a mil reticle FFP Talos 4-14x44 w/subtends @ .2 mil. & it is easy to estimate .1 mil. (=.36"@ 100 yd). Made it a little easier to hold. (I like to make head shots, 1" target). (Both of the above mentioned scopes are 30 mm tubes.) I have a BSA sweat 22 on a Ruger 1022 that works very well to dial, for 22lr SV,(is not accurate dial for high velocity 22lr) but it has no subtends for hold, just guess. I hope this will give you some things to consider for your choice.

What you're describing to me is a leupold vx3hd 4.5-14x40 with the cds dial. Only thing that sucks is you only get 15moa with that single turn dial and no parallax. 13oz and compact.

Vx-5 3-15x40 is going to be 30mm, still compact but it's pushing 20oz. Adjustable parallax and better reticles available though.

Only other scopes I can think of either aren't light, or aren't compact, or don't come with a fine duplex.

For what it's worth, there are company's making .05 mill turrets and 1/8th moa turrets. In the real world it just doesn't matter, but I guess if you're shooting bullseye comps it could come into play? There will be more wind error shot to shot than the .1" difference between adjustments.

Please, never consider a BSA. I have one in the shelf that I just can't find anyone I hate enough to give it too. It came on a .22 that the owner sold because it was only shooting 6" groups at 25. New scope and that rifle is down to .2" at 25.

I am considering getting a new scope for my Winchester 52C sporting rifle. It is factory D&T for a Redfield type mount. The rifle is to be used for tree squirrel hunting as well as casual target shooting. For this applicaton I prefer MOA due to slightly finer adjustment increments. I prefer 1" tube as I want a fairly compact scope. I want a reticule I can hold with and elevation I can dial. Quality glass and precision, repeatable adjustments. No need for power lower than 4X or higher than 16X and could do with less on both ends. AO is manditory. Fine reticule,no illumination needed. Price not an issue. Thank you.
    RTH
    Try this company in the refurbished scopes section. https://www.vintagegunscopes.com/ They will very likely have something that will go with the rifle and be period correct. Give them a call also.

Reactions: Boatninja
    Check Arken Optics, SH-4 4-14x44. I don't have one yet, was told I need to look @ it. Damn good glass & overall quality evaluations I have seen on you tube. Problem, weight 21 oz, 30 mm tube. large & mil. I know, not in hand, hard to evaluate for personal need. I have a Sig Tango 4 that I like, (MOA but large & heavy & 30 mm) I use a Sig BDX range finder, & today was looking @ the Sierra BDX scopes to try, couple of things I don't like & for your application, large, heavy, & 30 mm tube. @ this point, I have nothing else to offer. Good luck.