• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rimfire Sniper Match (think mini Mammoth)

565fitter

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
May 31, 2013
Washington, WV
EDIT 5/16/21

Registration is on and we have several awesome sponsors!

If I were to organize a 1 day 2 man team sniper event for 22lr only similar to Mammoth challenge, would there be an interest?

I'm thinking 1 day maybe 2-3 mile ruck stopping along the way to shoot 12-15 stages.

If this is something that gets some interest, I would like to hear from someone that has run an event like this. We have NRA range insurance for the property that is good for 100 people. Wondering if we would need added coverage. I'd say I would limit the first year to 25-35 2 man teams

Update 2/2/21

I am still moving forward with plans. I found a new location to use that is an existing range. There is 1000s of acres of national forest all around it.
I don't have an exact date but I want to try it late summer/ early fall.
I will post updates here but probably more frequently on the Facebook and Instagram page. For right now the name will stay @Wolf_creek_sniper_challenge The name may change because that was the old location but I'll post it here if it does.

Facebook page

I'm on Instagram as @seohio_rimfiresniper_challenge

Last edited:
8-10 miles rules out the fat old guys ... ask me how I know!
:LOL:
Depends on the time limits.

I'm 54 and slightly heavier than when I was in the .mil (but not overweight). Despite that, I'm shooting USPSA Carry Optics and scoring 85 - 90% of the local carry optics hot shot (a guy who's easily 20 - 25 years younger).

Slow it down to a hiking pace and I can keep up with anyone

Depends on the time limits.

I'm 54 and slightly heavier than when I was in the .mil (but not overweight). Despite that, I'm shooting USPSA Carry Optics and scoring 85 - 90% of the local carry optics hot shot (a guy who's easily 20 - 25 years younger).

Slow it down to a hiking pace and I can keep up with anyone

I plan to prerun it before we make it official. But I'll walk it at a normal pace and make sure it can be done well before dark by your average guy. May not be competitive if some fast movers show up but I think it would be a good time regardless.

We had a match this weekend in Canton that was interesting.

22 suppressed, a lot of very hard shots for a 22LR.
There seems to be a following in Ohio for the 22LR lately

We had a match this weekend in Canton that was interesting.

22 suppressed, a lot of very hard shots for a 22LR.
There seems to be a following in Ohio for the 22LR lately

We have 4 different 22lr events within an hour of me. Our nrl22, Fort Harmar in Marietta, and Rayners has 2 every month. It is getting pretty big. I'm headed up to southington for the nrl22x in a few weeks

Reactions: Ravenworks
We also have nrl22 events here on our range.
I for one am glad to see 22LR making a comeback.
It has the potential to be a family sport where dad doesn't have to spend 10k outfitting each kid.
I kinda like run what ya brung, I know a boat load of folks that shoot extremely well on a 22LR straight out of the box.

Sure you can get carried away with spending on any firearm, but who has to just to have fun.

Last edited:
Shit, I may have to buy that CZ 457 varmint and KRG Bravo after all.......

I'm about 15 - 20 miles north of downtown Dayton.

Reactions: 565fitter
We have 4 different 22lr events within an hour of me. Our nrl22, Fort Harmar in Marietta, and Rayners has 2 every month. It is getting pretty big. I'm headed up to southington for the nrl22x in a few weeks

I think Briar Rabbit near Zanesville has something too. There are several long range matches around Belmont County shooting from a bench with bipod and rear bag out to 300 plus at small steel targets. Good for us old guys. :)

Would you have to bring a partner or could you team with another solo on site?

Sounds interesting and not horribly far away. I've never shot a match of any kind, but a mini-Mammoth with my 455 sounds like it would be too much fun to pass up.

Reactions: 565fitter
I am in Northeast KY and should not be too far away. Have National Range Officer cert from IPSC?USPSA and PRS match experience from Peacemaker National. Might be able to assist with ideas for course design. The 8-10mi hike is daunting to a 60+ yr old shooter with bad knees and other ailments, lol. This is a very interesting idea.

I am in Northeast KY and should not be too far away. Have National Range Officer cert from IPSC?USPSA and PRS match experience from Peacemaker National. Might be able to assist with ideas for course design. The 8-10mi hike is daunting to a 60+ yr old shooter with bad knees and other ailments, lol. This is a very interesting idea.

I think 8-10 miles was an over estimate on my end the more I think about it 5 miles may be a little more realistic for a 1 day event.

Reactions: gpkon66 and MPrimo
I just did a 12-miler for our semi-annual quals at work. Two toenails died and are falling off. I recommend you make it a land nav event as well. And have them stalk into the stage.

I am trying to gear this so anyone can do it. But there is at least 1 stage that you will have to stalk into. If it were to start attracting big players then I will probably make a separate course for those that wanted to get a little more rowdy.

Reactions: gpkon66
I think Briar Rabbit near Zanesville has something too. There are several long range matches around Belmont County shooting from a bench with bipod and rear bag out to 300 plus at small steel targets. Good for us old guys. :)
Topstraps and Taylor's Paradise. Any I don't know about? I'll have to check out Briar Rabbit. Not familiar with them.

I set up a closed course in the National Forest during the covid months and shared stage locations with a tight group of friends. You had to nav to the grid, use the left and right limits to find targets and lase them, then shoot the stage and score yourself on the honor system. Pack up and move to the next point. You shot it alone or with a buddy. Post scores on a FB messenger group. Every stage was 6 targets and one shot per target, hit or miss move on. Steel safari format.

That sounds awesome!

I love it! The national forest is just a bit behind my house, but probably not the one your talking about. Cibola National Forest

In for sure. Easy poke from Grand Rapids. MTC has a similiar event with Land Nav, although more run and gun than sniper centric. A blast either way.

Following this, sounds like it would be fun. I don't mind burning up some 22 ammo compared to rifle these days

It's a pretty good haul from NH, but sounds like it's worth the milage. I'm in.
Who knows, maybe it can count it as my ruck test for work.

This have any legs...in in West MI and am training for Mammoth currently.

My buddy was telling me about that. I'd get put in front of some young team that would catch me in 20 minutes. Lol

i'm shooting this match. it is in the spirit but not exactly the same. it is individual vs team and on a slightly smaller scale. the distance covered is not going to be anything crazy at all. and the 20 minutes gap should be enough time between shooters to keep from getting "caught"

Dang, I wish I had known about the VA match earlier. If I didn't already have commitments I would be all over it.

If it's something I can do solo I'd be interested. I want to Mammoth but I've got no one able to do it with.

If this does well I may be able to find somewhere else that could host a sister match to this... but no BBQ places the night before....lol