• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rimfire steel challenge open rifle build help/questions

LR1845

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2021
Nevada
So I want to build or have built a Rimfire open rifle for steel challenge, I am thinking buy the parts and assemble myself or would I be better served having it built? If have it built who would you recommend?

Parts I am currently looking at are...
Wiland chassis
Crazy Ivan chassis
Kidd complete ready to run barreled receiver
I've also read the Magnum Research switch bolt is a good receiver
Have also looked at Tacsol, Volquartsen

Main objective is reliability, lite weight, adjustable and something to grow into but not out of and not a Franken gun.
Any suggestion/help would be appreciated.

So I want to build or have built a Rimfire open rifle for steel challenge, I am thinking buy the parts and assemble myself or would I be better served having it built? If have it built who would you recommend?

Parts I am currently looking at are...
Wiland chassis
Crazy Ivan chassis
Kidd complete ready to run barreled receiver
I've also read the Magnum Research switch bolt is a good receiver
Have also looked at Tacsol, Volquartsen

Main objective is reliability, lite weight, adjustable and something to grow into but not out of and not a Franken gun.
Any suggestion/help would be appreciated.
Here is the KIDD rifle I am running, not cheap but checks all your objectives. Build list is: KIDD Supergrade Barreled Action woth single stage trigger / KIDD Tactical Chassis / C-More RTS2R w/Mount / Phase 5 Universal Mini Stock / Phase 5 A2 Extention Tube / Phase 5 Buffer Tube Foam Pad / Bravo Company Gunfighter Pistol Grip / Bravo Company Gunfighter KAG Hand Stop.

It is light, fast, and fun to shoot. Good luck figuring out your build.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 240
Reactions: LR1845
My thoughts on a 10/22 or 22/45 and Steel Challenge: speed is the deal, precision pretty much doesn't matter, and 'build your own' is really easy to do on both platforms. I built my 22/45, but I'd buy a TK Kraken today only b/c I spent more to build than it would cost to buy, and I really like the Kraken frame.

Add up the cost of the parts. 10/22 is easy to mod, just like 22/45. You don't need to shoot half MOA. And if you guess wrong, it's easy to replace parts later.

In this area, as long as you don't want to resell later, Frankengun type mess is kinda fun to do. If you think you want to resell, then absolutely, buy the name brand complete unit.

davidsaidwhat makes a great point, you do not need the accuracy of a precision barreled action like KIDD, speed is the goal. One thing to consider, while my KIDD is plenty fast and I love it, the tight chamber also means cleaning more often. I can get a lot more rounds through my ruger 10/22 in between cleanings than I can any of my KIDDs. But no matter what you go with, put a lot of thought into the trigger, that matters a bunch.

Here is the KIDD rifle I am running, not cheap but checks all your objectives. Build list is: KIDD Supergrade Barreled Action woth single stage trigger / KIDD Tactical Chassis / C-More RTS2R w/Mount / Phase 5 Universal Mini Stock / Phase 5 A2 Extention Tube / Phase 5 Buffer Tube Foam Pad / Bravo Company Gunfighter Pistol Grip / Bravo Company Gunfighter KAG Hand Stop.

It is light, fast, and fun to shoot. Good luck figuring out your build.
Just curious how much does this rifle weigh?

My thoughts on a 10/22 or 22/45 and Steel Challenge: speed is the deal, precision pretty much doesn't matter, and 'build your own' is really easy to do on both platforms. I built my 22/45, but I'd buy a TK Kraken today only b/c I spent more to build than it would cost to buy, and I really like the Kraken frame.

Add up the cost of the parts. 10/22 is easy to mod, just like 22/45. You don't need to shoot half MOA. And if you guess wrong, it's easy to replace parts later.

In this area, as long as you don't want to resell later, Frankengun type mess is kinda fun to do. If you think you want to resell, then absolutely, buy the name brand complete unit.
I've done the frankengun in the past and I guess I should be a little clearer...I do not want to buy a rugger and put Kidd parts in it I want to either put together a list of quality parts and assemble them or just have a rifle built...and I know I do not need bench rest accuracy for steel challenge.

After a little more research it looks like I will be buying parts and assembling myself...I'm thinking a ready to run Kidd Super Grade receiver with a carbon fiber barrel in a ??? chassis...I am pretty set on the Wiland but they are 4-6mos out so now I'm looking for a temp chassis any suggestions?
needs to be as lite as possible.

I went the buy quality parts and put it together route. TI receiver, Kidd bolt, Wiland barrel, FTP 8MOA red dot, Modshot chassis. Comes out to 3lb2oz.
013d0793af7503fac682573f2cc5d60a3b5afdb7c0.jpg

I'm a big fan of Kidd ULW in a "classic slip fit" action. We have 5 of them in the family; two for me, one for each of my (2) daughters, and one for my Son-in-Law. All in Boyd's Barracuda stocks. They are nice.

blue-barracuda1.jpg

I went the buy quality parts and put it together route. TI receiver, Kidd bolt, Wiland barrel, FTP 8MOA red dot, Modshot chassis. Comes out to 3lb2oz.
View attachment 8164064
This is exactly the info I'm looking for, beautiful rifle!! Are you just running factory rugger mags? Any feed/extract issues?

Thanks Dave

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Kidd ULW in a "classic slip fit" action. We have 5 of them in the family; two for me, one for each of my (2) daughters, and one for my Son-in-Law. All in Boyd's Barracuda stocks. They are nice.

View attachment 8164167
Very nice, love the how they match!! Do you know the weight of the complete Kidd barreled receiver minus the stock and the total weight including the stock? I guess the slip fit might be a better way to go as there are more barrel options.

Thanks Dave

View attachment 8164064
I look at the Modshot chassis a LONG time before I went the KIDD route, but was undecided on the forward handle. How do you like it?

Very nice, love the how they match!! Do you know the weight of the complete Kidd barreled receiver minus the stock and the total weight including the stock? I guess the slip fit might be a better way to go as there are more barrel options.

Thanks Dave
Barreled action and trigger group weighs 2# 13.8oz, with stock no red dot it's 4# 13.9oz.

Tried of researching so I just ordered a Kidd slip fit receiver, bolt, single stage trigger at 1.5lb with a 16.5" ULW 762 barrel, a Kidd aluminum break, a Modshot chassis and will top it off with a Holosun EPS 6MOA green dot...everything ordered showed in stock so should have this build together in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for everyone's help/suggestions!

Reactions: Milo 2.5
Good choices, look forward to seeing pics of the complete rifle!

This is exactly the info I'm looking for, beautiful rifle!! Are you just running factory rugger mags? Any feed/extract issues?

Thanks Dave
I use both Ruger BX-1 mags and TandemKross Double Kross Mags. No cycling issues at all. I run a lot of CCI Clean 22 and Norma Tac 22.

I look at the Modshot chassis a LONG time before I went the KIDD route, but was undecided on the forward handle. How do you like it?
I am pretty happen with it. When I got it there were not a lot of options. I walked in with the goal of as light as possible...oh, and it had to look really cool. :cool:

Building one as well atm. Started with stock SS 10/22, Kidd trigger, volq bolt tune-up kit, Doublecross and BX-1 mags in old bushnell stock. I'm sure that's just the beginning of "slippery slope" - lol.

Are you running mini mags in your rifle?
I realize you didn't ask me, but I normally run Blazer 40 grain through ours. Pretty much the same thing as Mini Mag round nose*, just without the copper wash. I generally tear down and clean rifles and pistols after each match, sometimes will stretch it out but at least every 500 rounds...don't want to start having malfunctions on the clock. Several of the competitors we shoot with use RN Mini Mags, they swear by them, and with good reason, I guess, since they are always "on the podium" each match. I don't have anything bad to say about MM, I've run a lot of them too, but Blazers were a little less expensive and function just as well...which plays a part when I'm the one buying ammo for the family, and feeding all our race guns.

*CCI and Blazer are made by the same company...so is Federal, but Federal is garbage in my opinion.

Building one as well atm. Started with stock SS 10/22, Kidd trigger, volq bolt tune-up kit, Doublecross and BX-1 mags in old bushnell stock. I'm sure that's just the beginning of "slippery slope" - lol.
Slippery indeed, only limited by how much you want to spend...good luck!

I use both Ruger BX-1 mags and TandemKross Double Kross Mags. No cycling issues at all. I run a lot of CCI Clean 22 and Norma Tac 22.
Thanks,

I ordered 6 BX-1 yesterday and will pick up a couple of the Double Kross mags next week and some of the mag extensions.
I have some Tac-22 but its really waxy I'm going pick up a case of mini mags or clean next week too.

I realize you didn't ask me, but I normally run Blazer 40 grain through ours. Pretty much the same thing as Mini Mag round nose*, just without the copper wash. I generally tear down and clean rifles and pistols after each match, sometimes will stretch it out but at least every 500 rounds...don't want to start having malfunctions on the clock. Several of the competitors we shoot with use RN Mini Mags, they swear by them, and with good reason, I guess, since they are always "on the podium" each match. I don't have anything bad to say about MM, I've run a lot of them too, but Blazers were a little less expensive and function just as well...which plays a part when I'm the one buying ammo for the family, and feeding all our race guns.

*CCI and Blazer are made by the same company...so is Federal, but Federal is garbage in my opinion.
Thanks I appreciate the info, I'm going to have to go and check prices, is the Blazer waxy?
I am like you as far as cleaning, its hard for me to put a gun away that's dirty.

Reactions: Cowpokey

Slippery slope is putting it mild with all the custom options available now days...clious to hear how your build turn out and how it shoots.

I just shot 500/2 boxes of these through my scorpion with no issues and actually shot pretty good didn’t run a accuracy test to windy here today…

Attachments

• IMG_5488.jpeg
    IMG_5488.jpeg
    357.1 KB · Views: 12
Not sure, let me see if I can find a scale and update you later.

LR1845, sorry for the delay, just moving into a new house and had to find the scale, but wanted to answer your question. Rifle as you see it in the picture weights 5lbs 7oz.​

Thanks I appreciate the info, I'm going to have to go and check prices, is the Blazer waxy?
I am like you as far as cleaning, its hard for me to put a gun away that's dirty.
Same lube as what is on everything CCI; MM, standard velocity, etc. Tac-22 has greasy lube along the lines of what SK and Lapua use.

Parts starting to come in…barreled action should be at my FFL Tuesday…..I like the chassis it’s lite and feels pretty good we’ll see when I get it all put together.

Attachments

• IMG_5501.jpeg
    IMG_5501.jpeg
    480.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5503.jpeg
    IMG_5503.jpeg
    524.6 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: Quick1
Picked up the barreled action this morning threw it together and went out and shot 60 rounds to sight in and make sure it runs.
Very happy...runs like a KIDD should and shoots great!! Can't wait to shoot this at a match!!

IMG_5546.JPG
IMG_5549.JPG
IMG_5541.JPG
IMG_5543.JPG

Reactions: 30calDeath
So I went out Sunday and got the Holosun dialed in and shot a couple hundred rounds...gun is fast and runs great can't wait to shoot the steel challenge this coming sunday!!

7 rounds at 25yds.
IMG_5550 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5551.JPG
IMG_5316.JPG