• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rimfire swinging targets

SigTauJohn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2011
KC, MO
Everyone has them and shot them with .22s. Will they take shots from a .17 hmr? the steel swinging targets say 17-22 on them but always felt like the 17 rounds would damage them. anyone shot them with a 17? do they punch through? my wife really like the savage 93r17 i got and want a reactive target for her to shoot at. thanks!

Re: Rimfire swinging targets

I use hard drive platters hung by some fishing line ... who cares if they get a hole or 3 in 'em...

I shot mine with a 17 at about 75yrds it didnt penetrate but it sure did tweak the plate and put a big gouge ib it.

Thats what im afraid of... I bought a swinger today ($20) so i guess i will see if it will punch through! Wife wants reactive targets, hopefully this works!

This is my 200 yard swinger. It is 2"x2.25" and is 1/4" plate. I only use 22 subs on it, but a friend of mine has used 17 hmr and they hold up fine. The only problem is it likes to flip around the rod and I have to put something behind it to keep it from doing that. I am thinking of shortening the chains or welding a rod behind the swinger.

200yardtarget.jpg

200yard3.jpg

200yard2.jpg

did you weld the chain right onto the plate?

hanging a weight on the plate or another chain welded on the back hanging down would prolly get it from flying around.

You could also move the chains to more parallel and not so high, That would keep them from flipping up so high. You could also install swivels on each side if you wanted to not worry about it flipping over half way.

Quote: This is my 200 yard swinger. It is 2"x2.25" and is 1/4" plate. End Quote.

200yardtarget.jpg

Nice set up. If you use a pendulum versus the chains, you might have a good commercial item there. If the hit causes a swing to rotate the metal, no problem.

I have one of those too....they don't hold up so well.
It costs me more in golf balls than ammo! I just use my steel swinger now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SigTauJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did you weld the chain right onto the plate?

hanging a weight on the plate or another chain welded on the back hanging down would prolly get it from flying around.</div></div>

I welded the chain right to the plate. I like the idea of amking it heavier or adding a down chain.

A few months ago I bought two of those steel targets from sportsmansguide. I bought the ones that would stand up to 30-06.
Off I went to the range and set one out at 200 yards, and hit it with my 308. The first shot took a chunk out of it. After I walked downrange to retrieve it from the bushes it flew into, I shot it once more.
It came unglued.........completely. I had four pieces that had been one target. It wasn't even repairable. Just a friendly warning.

I whipped up this using scrap from my old work's laser...1/4" plate, cold rolled steel.
2011-04-03_16-41-12_36.jpg

It works awesome with my Mark III pistol but my .17hmr did crater it at 100yds a bit which caused me to get some bits and pieces of bullet when I went back to my .22 so I don't use it for that anymore.
I also added some angle iron (not shown) to the axle to keep bullets from denting the tubing and causing the swingers to not swing.

I have since switched to this for my .17hmr (can't remember the overall size but it's 1/2" thick and works great for 200/250yd practice. You can see the impacts through the scope and then repaint, rinse and repeat.

2011-07-11_10-22-37_670.jpg

Tennis anyone? It works well, cause it's rubber last a little longer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
GolfBall.jpg
+
456237_b747eba94ed9c76da07264697b2bc2f1.jpg

+
Twisted%20Metallic%20gold%20string%202mm.jpg

any questions??? ;-P </div></div>

Dont shoot pro vs tho. dang that would be expensive...

Shooting .17 HMR into Cold Rolled seems to weld the bullets into the steel in my findings. It wont punch through but definently leaves a mark. I shoot Federals loaded w/ the Speer TNT. 100yds or less.

I built these for 200 yard rimfire, just in time to find out the range went to no steel targets!
mad.gif

1/4" AR500, over kill for a 22lr, yes. Would have been fun to shoot, man that pisses me off about the no steel rule.
mad.gif

DSC00716.jpg