• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rimfire trainer-17hmr or 22lr

pickpick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2008
Jonesboro,Ar.
I have my eye on getting a savage tr for training. My question is should I buy the 17hmr or the 22lr? What I'm thinking is 17hmr ammo and 22lr match ammo will be close to the same money. So, I guess performance and cleanliness of ammo might be the deciding factors. I have intentions of buying a suppressor later for it too, if that's an issue. Please help me decide. Thanks.

Re: rimfire trainer-17hmr or 22lr

If you're going to only shoot match ammo in a .22lr, then maybe go with the .17hmr. You might get lucky and get some inexpensive .22lr ammo that shoots about as well as match, and then be able to shoot a lot more for the money.

If it were me (and I did this), I'd get the .22lr if you don't have one, then get a .17hmr later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LeviSS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're going to only shoot match ammo in a .22lr, then maybe go with the .17hmr. You might get lucky and get some inexpensive .22lr ammo that shoots about as well as match, and then be able to shoot a lot more for the money.

If it were me (and I did this), I'd get the .22lr if you don't have one, then get a .17hmr later. </div></div>

What he said. If you don't have a 22LR, get one of those first...the 17HMR is just a 22LR on roids, and for training purposes (round count) 22LR is much cheaper. If you're looking for best accuracy, 17HMR will probably yield better results.

I have a standard stainless 10/22 already for just plinking around and such. I'm wanting my next rimfire for accuracy. Is there any more accuracy out of a 17 vs 22? And, do 17's and suppressors make a good match? Or, is either caliber cleaner shooting ammo than the other?

Why not buy a .17hm2? At least 1/2 the price of hmr, and you get the same bullet, and 80% of the power and trajectory. .22LR is available subsonic, so if you want it to be absolutely quiet, then go with the .22LR. You can also buy cheap stuff and let the kids/neighbors/whoever shoot it on the cheap. But many hm2 owners get better groups per dollar with the hm2 as compared to the LR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a standard stainless 10/22 already for just plinking around and such. I'm wanting my next rimfire for accuracy. Is there any more accuracy out of a 17 vs 22? And, do 17's and suppressors make a good match? Or, is either caliber cleaner shooting ammo than the other? </div></div>

Basically all 17HMR ammo is "match" compared to 22LR which only a fraction is. Its much easier to find the "good" 17HMR ammo than the "good" 22LR.

If all you are looking for is accuracy within 100 yards a 17HM2 or HMR will fit the bill. Just pick whichever you can find in the rifle platform you prefer

My 17hmr started life as a Ruger 77/22mag and I bought a Green Mountain barrel in 17hmr. Both barrels are accurate and now I have a twofer switch barrel. I suppose you could do the same with a 22 lr and the shorter 17.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfitters</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a standard stainless 10/22 already for just plinking around and such. I'm wanting my next rimfire for accuracy. Is there any more accuracy out of a 17 vs 22? And, do 17's and suppressors make a good match? Or, is either caliber cleaner shooting ammo than the other? </div></div>

Basically all 17HMR ammo is "match" compared to 22LR which only a fraction is. Its much easier to find the "good" 17HMR ammo than the "good" 22LR.

If all you are looking for is accuracy within 100 yards a 17HM2 or HMR will fit the bill. Just pick whichever you can find in the rifle platform you prefer </div></div>

What if I wanted to push this to 200 or 300 yards? Would I be better off with the 22lr. I have intensions of always running match ammo. That's why I was even considering the 17, because like said almost all 17 ammo is match and easier to find.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfitters</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a standard stainless 10/22 already for just plinking around and such. I'm wanting my next rimfire for accuracy. Is there any more accuracy out of a 17 vs 22? And, do 17's and suppressors make a good match? Or, is either caliber cleaner shooting ammo than the other? </div></div>

If all you are looking for is accuracy within 100 yards a 17HM2 or HMR will fit the bill. Just pick whichever you can find in the rifle platform you prefer </div></div>

What if I wanted to push this to 200 or 300 yards? Would I be better off with the 22lr. I have intensions of always running match ammo. That's why I was even considering the 17, because like said almost all 17 ammo is match and easier to find. </div></div>

That little 17 grain bullet is very wind sensitive I baged a Rock Cuck at 221 yards and Prairie Dogs at 238 yards with the 17 HMR but it was in no wind conditions. The 22LR <span style="text-decoration: underline"> </span> may <span style="text-decoration: underline"> </span> be better. My long range shooting with the 22 LR is limitted to informal plinking.

Go with a .22 if you want a trainer that well help you learn to judge wind and etc.
If you want a rimfire to just shoot vermin and do some target shooting at less then 150 yards go with .17hmr. Or better yet get one of each.
smile.gif

L.

I believe that I have been swayed to the 22lr. Thanks everyone for the info and insight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfitters</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a standard stainless 10/22 already for just plinking around and such. I'm wanting my next rimfire for accuracy. Is there any more accuracy out of a 17 vs 22? And, do 17's and suppressors make a good match? Or, is either caliber cleaner shooting ammo than the other? </div></div>

What if I wanted to push this to 200 or 300 yards? Would I be better off with the 22lr. I have intensions of always running match ammo. That's why I was even considering the 17, because like said almost all 17 ammo is match and easier to find. </div></div>

That little 17 grain bullet is very wind sensitive I baged a Rock Cuck at 221 yards and Prairie Dogs at 238 yards with the 17 HMR but it was in no wind conditions. The 22LR <span style="text-decoration: underline"> </span> may <span style="text-decoration: underline"> </span> be better. My long range shooting with the 22 LR is limitted to informal plinking. </div></div>

The 17HMR is much quicker, with a better BC, and much less drop. <span style="text-decoration: underline">IF</span> the 17HMR gets blown around more at that distance. I'd rather deal with feet less of drop and increase my windage hold a few more inches....

If you're wanting to go beyond 100 yards I'd say a 17HMR or 22WMR would be a better choice...they call em "magnums" for a reason
cool.gif

If you are not going to be doing all your shooting at the range I would recommend either the HMR or the HM2.
22lr is a ricochet machine. I had one ricochet of a squirrel's head a few weeks back. I find it dang embarrassing not being in control of your bullet.
The light polymer tipped bullets of the hornady rimfires rarely if ever ricochet.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the 22lr as I do anything I can shoot.

I like my 22, especially when shooting far and working on wind. Cost is a big factor for me, so this also give a real edge to the 22.
The 17 is a good bit louder as well, but for killing pests, it sure is tough to beat.

Just depends what you wanna do.

My vote is the .22lr round! Many more choices of ammo, for many more different purposes. Has Been, and Will Be Around FOREVER!! Just my 0.2 cents!!!

I own both a very nice 22LR (40X in a McM Stock) and a very nice 17HMR (Anschutz with SS barrel). I actually pay more for my .22 ammo because I use Eley Match, which has gotten kind of expensive. All 17HMR is made at the same place, so you can just buy the cheapest. You can get it as low as $10 a box.

The advantages of 22LR are that it is a standard, so when there are rimfire matches, 17HMR is often excluded. Also, because of the ballistics, long range for a 22LR is 100 yards - 200 yards. If you have a short range, the ballistic shortcomings of the 22LR are an advantage. 100 yards with a 22LR will give you a great chance to read wind.

The 17 offers something different. You can get incredible accuracy out of a cheap platform. I have an Annie 17HMR that is more accurate than my Marlin 917, but not by much. I paid $700 for the Annie and $350 for the Marlin. A highly accurate 22LR platform can get very pricey. From a practicality standpoint, the 17HMR is a superior caliber performance-wise. It just is. The 17 has less drop and is less wind-sensitive and it has a longer effective range.

So this gets back to the trainer aspect... if it is solely a trainer, a 22LR is going to teach you how to read wind and how to dope properly because the 22LR ballistics are not very good.

If you are planning on varminting, I think the 17HMR is more effective. It is more accurate at a longer range and the flatness of the round makes doping easier while the wind has less effect.

If you are interested in match shooting, figure out what matches you might want to shoot in. For Smack the Smiley, which is at 50 yards, I think the 17 HMR and 22LR are evenly matched, though you can spend less for a winning platform with the 17... and both 17HMR and 22LR are allowed. I have local matches shot at 100 that are 22LR only, so I need a 22 for those. It just all depends on what you want to do.

pickpick,

If you've already got your platform (or both!) congratulations. FWIW, let me echo Carter and Monkey above in saying that if this is a training rifle, do yourself a huge favor and pick the 22LR (or if you've bought a 17, save up and get a 22LR). Getting a good 22LR trainer and shooting 100-200 yards has easily been the thing that has made the biggest difference in my skills (or lack thereof
cry.gif
) other than consistent dryfire practice. Without question, it helped me exactly because of it's ballistic inferiority. It would get pushed around by the wind and if I wasn't paying good attention each and every shot to wind changes, rifle cant, etc it would make me pay for it. So it actually magnified my mistakes and forced me to work on them instead of get away with them. Even though the area here is pretty shooter friendly, the furthest I'd usually get to take my 308's out on a regular basis was 500 meters, which had kind of let me stagnate in skill development.

I was lucky and I had met Carter out at a range that he and I shoot at, and I knew he was pretty big into 22LR. I have a slew of centerfire rifles, and had always had a decent rimfire...but I wasn't using it effectively for quality practice (i.e. setting it up with decent glass, anti-cant, and shooting it out to 200). I asked him for some help and instruction in getting to know the rimfire game and he was very gracious with his time and ammo (and has a sweet-ass 40x rig
whistle.gif
) . Spending a few bucks more on good 22LR ammo is definitely worth it, as once you've got a good ammo/rifle combo, anything you're off on is something that you failed to do and can get better at. Best of luck with whichever you've picked, and good shooting.

-A

To A-train's point on the effects of cant... look at the following:

Effect of 1.5 degree of cant at 100 yards:
22LR............ .49 inches
17HMR........... .12 inches
308 (168gr)..... .11 inches

Effect of 1.5 degrees of cant at 200 yards
22LR............ 2.00 inches
17HMR........... .42 inches
308 (168gr)..... .32 inches

Cant is important to a 22LR at short range and 308 at long range. The ballistics of the 17 look a little more like the 308 than the 22LR. That is great if you want accuracy at these ranges. If you want to use the 22 to train for long range 308 or other long range shooting, the 22 is the ticket.

I dont mean to break up whats better than the other but look at it this way its a trainer that means its to get the feel of the real deal basically it makes no difference for a true trainer as long as the ammo is cheap. I would buy the 22 just because its a little more common and maybe a little cheaper but like i said doesnt matter go ahead and throw a dart on the board or flip a coin

I recently bought a Savage MKI FVT (my wife and daughter love peep sights and say a scope is cheating - I use a scope on it for me only). It is fairly accurate at 100 yards but is no match rifle.

The CZ 455 is an easy switch so syou can change from .22 to .17 - I have no idea what the cost of the 2nd barrel is, though.

If I'd had my 'druthers, I would have gone with a CZ 455 and a new trigger. (The Savage accutrigger is good enough for me.)