• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rimfire zero @ 50 yards... what magnification do you use?

Mr. Wolf

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Heartland
Goal: shoot best 6x5 groups, no time limits @ 50 yards.

If the scope has the ability to adjust parallax to 50 yards, is there a magnification setting you like to use?
Should you go high as you can as long as the image is sharp, parallax-free, and chromatic aberrations are under control?
Should you avoid the extremes of the scope (ie: avoid 24x on a 6-24x scope)?
Is there such thing as too much magnification for shooting something like the 6x5?

Thanks in advance.

I was on like 20x with my athlon Ares and it seemed to work well and cranked it all the way up to check groups but didn’t want to run it that high due to it magnifies movement

I shoot my groups at 20x on my 22. I have shot them at 24 but didn’t notice any improvement so I just stick with 20. Just more comfortable for my aging eyes. Interested in hearing what others have to say.

The more magnification you can make your self chase the group. Shoot it Low & High and see what is best for you. I think I shot it at 15 & 20 of a 25 max.

Thank you for the replies so far. Keep em coming.
sounds like there is a balance point somewhere around 16-20x for shooting groups at 50 yards that balances clarity, movement, chromatic aberrations, and avoiding extremes of magnification power for a 6-24x scope.

Cyclops Joe seems to have similar thoughts.

YMMV, happy shooting

Tikka T1 with a Arken EB4 6-24 ffp 22 power for 50 or 300. Great glass and parallax is smooth Bipod and rear bag bench or prone I love this rifle so accurate I’m damn near giddy shooting 3/8” groups over and with RWS Target Rifle .

Reactions: Mr. Wolf
I use a Trijicon 5-50x56 scope and prefer 20x with a rear bag and bipod.
Anything higher and I can see my heartbeat in the reticle. (n)
I hope to go a bit higher with my new much steadier Randolph Machine rest this year.
My cousin uses 30x when he shoots my rifle and groups better than me most of the time.

I’m usually at 18x but that’s the max for my scope as well.

When shooting groups (6x5) or tgts for precision from prone or a bench I use the highest mag possible on the given optic. That said, as long as you can clearly see to aim precisely at the same place each shot, then the level of magnification does not matter. The rifle does not know what optic is riding on top and will shoot the same either way. I have shot perfect scores with a 6x and 10x optics but for bench shooting usually prefer 20x or higher. Last year's factory rifle had a 36x Sightron and this year's CZ currently wears a 8-32x Mueller which is quite clear and a little easier to adjust than the Sightron. If I cannot score the tgt from 50y away then the scope is not clear enough. If your IQ is not clear at max power, check your adjustment of the ocular bell to set the reticle focus and then readjust the parallax. It is hard to focus the eye on the tgt if the focal plane of the reticle is not the same as the image of the tgt. If it is still not clear, ditch that scope for a better one.

I must be the odd man out. I run maybe 12x at the most at 50. 10x the majority of my time (zco527).
Nice scope! There must be a sweet spot where the glass clarity, image size vs. reticle bounce, chromatic aberrations married with the shooter's personal preference and vision all come into play.
I just listened to Episode 269 of Everyday Sniper and Frank and Marc discussed decreased magnification as applied to shooting (discussed near the last 10 minutes of the Podcast). After applying proper fundamentals, the shooter's groups improved or stayed the same in most if not all cases.

This shooting bug sure is fun and many different elements and discussions are now making sense and linking together as a body of knowledge rather than a solitary bit of useful information.

Thank you and keep your comments coming.

YMMV, happy shooting.

1/2 or slightly above the max of the scope. Ex: My ZCo 527, I zero at 15x-ish. And on my Ares ETR 4.5-32 I use 18x-ish.

I ALWAYS, always, always go to max power and set to parallax free, then back off to my desired magnification. If you are parallax free at higher power, you are guaranteed to be parallax free at lower magnification (unless something is wrong with the scope.)

Reactions: Mr. Wolf
1/2 or slightly above the max of the scope. Ex: My ZCo 527, I zero at 15x-ish. And on my Ares ETR 4.5-32 I use 18x-ish.

I ALWAYS, always, always go to max power and set to parallax free, then back off to my desired magnification. If you are parallax free at higher power, you are guaranteed to be parallax free at lower magnification (unless something is wrong with the scope.)
Thanks for sharing the max mag parallax set then backing down on mag. I'll have to test it out on my scopes.

For groups ...maxed out unless it’s stupid hot and mirage is causing trouble. But then my groups will be sacrificed a bit anyway

My March high master 10-60...60
My Schmidt 5-45...45

I pick the smallest point I can then dial off so I have a consistent small aiming point.

or I’ll put a shot on paper and then dial off. Most of the time I run a piece of duct tape and shoot groups on that. always sticks to what ever is out there wet or dry

with high mag I can segment a 22cal hole at 100