• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ring/Base for Savage Mark II Falcon Men 4x14-44

JDT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2009
NC
Could someone please tell me what the best combo is to mount a Falcon Menace 4x14-44 on a savage mark II. I would like a 20 moa base Im guessing as I would like to shoot from 100 to 300yrds. Had an extra set of badger standard 30mm rings. Will those rings work if I just installed a 20moa base? If not what budget minded rings would work say $60 +/- and what height? I do have butler creek caps that also must clear. Thanks in advance guys

Re: Ring/Base for Savage Mark II Falcon Men 4x14-44

i prefer the DIP 25 moa base for many reasons, you'll probably be able to get away with low or med rings, but with the caps on it, i'd say that mediums would be a safe bet

Well look at the math. Objective is 2.05 inches. Times that by .5 is 1". No idea what the height of the 20MOA base is but I'm assuming its less than .25". Top Predator, I found that most Med. Rings were only around .3". Seems like that would be too low. I'm probably not doing the math correctly though. Maybe I'm underestimating the base height.

Trying to figure this out myself also, and trust me I have no clue. But remember the savage has no contour in the barrel it is straight. For some reason I keep thinking I am going to have to go with the highest rings possible. Especially if I managed to go with a 25moa base. Correct? I was wanting to go with the Burris Extreme.

I just installed the DIP (Diversified Innovative Products) on my Savage and used Weaver 6-hole Tactical high rings to mount a Weaver Grand Slam tactical scope but my scope was the 1" variety. it made for a nice set-up which is stout but is probably overkill for the .22 rifle. However I have Badger Ordnance on my GAP rifle so I like it overbuilt rather than under built.
JaxOps

I believe the EGW 20MOA base is somewhere around the .4" height. I've got a Viper 6.5-20x50 with the EGW base and just the standard Vortex 30mm rings in medium height (.380" I believe). The scope clears no problem and I would bet a set of lows would also do it but it would be a little close. You can check Vortex site for the objective measurement of my scope but I think it is around the 2.20 mark.

When doing the measurements you need to keep in mind that the scope will also be tilted down in the front so leave a little room for error.

Most rings have different measurements (height) so do some checking before you buy. One make of mediums may only be the height of another's lows.

Take the objective measurement, subtract the scope tube diameter, divide that number by two.
That will give you the min clearance height required.

Take your base height and subtract from that number.

The remaining number is the min ring height you need (from bottom to bottom of scope tube)

As I said, leave a little room for the scope slope and error.

Hi JDT,

I've got a Savage Mark II wearing a Mueller APT which is 30mm tube and 40mm objective. For the base and rings I went with a DIP (formerly rimfiretechnologies) flat base and Burris Signature Zee's in low. Even with MOA inserts in the rings and the Butler creek scope covers its still a bit on the high side, plenty of clearance.

The Burris Sig Z's were the lowest 30mm rings I could find...

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Shaz
SavMKIIBVfinal.jpg

Where can you find the DIP bases? It looks like to me if I went with a 20 moa base I would have to use Burris High's at the minimum. I measured the objective at 2.080/2 = 1.040. I rounded up to 1.10 to hopefully clear the Butler Creek Covers. If the the 20 moa base is .4 then I took 1.10 - .4 = .70 So that is slightly under 3/4 inch which would mean I would need the Burris high rings. Did I do this right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JDT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where can you find the DIP bases? It looks like to me if I went with a 20 moa base I would have to use Burris High's at the minimum. I measured the objective at 2.080/2 = 1.040. I rounded up to 1.10 to hopefully clear the Butler Creek Covers. If the the 20 moa base is .4 then I took 1.10 - .4 = .70 So that is slightly under 3/4 inch which would mean I would need the Burris high rings. Did I do this right? </div></div>

That's how I was doing the math. The DIP bases are hard to find at the moment. Everywhere I have checked is back-ordered and has been for awhile. Not sure when people are getting them.

Well in that case I've found the 20 moa base for $29 bucks at optic planet so guess that what I'll go with for now. Thanks guys for the help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Got mine directly at DIP. I called and they actually went in back to the warehouse and I believe I got the last one in stock at that time (late December). Try looking at diproductsinc.com or give them a call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JDT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where can you find the DIP bases? It looks like to me if I went with a 20 moa base I would have to use Burris High's at the minimum. I measured the objective at 2.080/2 = 1.040. I rounded up to 1.10 to hopefully clear the Butler Creek Covers. If the the 20 moa base is .4 then I took 1.10 - .4 = .70 So that is slightly under 3/4 inch which would mean I would need the Burris high rings. Did I do this right? </div></div>

You forgot to subtract the scope tube diameter from the objective measurement.
You will certainly not need high rings.

2.080 - 1.18 (30mm) = 0.9
0.9/2 = 0.45
0.45 - 0.4 = 0.05 absolute minimum

Now that is based on the scope mount being level and actually being 0.4" tall, which I am not sure of. You also need room for the scope covers. Either way, I think low rings in the 0.25 range should clear for you.

Dang it, I knew I was jumping the gun. Ordered High's last night. I'll see if they can change them, but on the plus side at least I know it will not hit now. Of course I still have the badger standard 30mm rings so I can at least see if they work. May have a set of Burris Highs for sale before too long guys or Badgers for that matter. I'll keep you posted. Funny how it always takes me tinkering with my .22's to learn something, be it bases or rings or how to shoot.

Yeah, you may want to get them changed as the scope will sit much too high from the barrel, at least for my liking.

High as I would go is medium in the 0.35 area. Leupold PRW mediums would fit the bill nicely.

What is the measurement of the Burris highs?

Would you know that they happened to be out of the highs so they emailed me saying they couldn't fill the order. I replied with send me mediums. Ha Ha I hope it works out. Thanks alot guys.

Don't forget to post pics and target results when you have a chance to try the new gun.

Which model is it?

Got an email that they were out of mediums too. Imagine that. At least they were honest and emailed me. The bases are on there way though so I will have no choice but to try the standard badgers that I already have. The rifle is a savage mark II with a 22" barrel. Looks identical to shaz_au pic above. I've had it for over a year, sent the barrel to adco and they threaded it for me. Love the rifle, just didn't have the right scope for it. I've been shooting out to 150 yrds with it just holding over with a Nikon 3-9 prostaff. I've been wanting a mil/mil scope with tactical turrets for a while. I picked the falcon menace up on here from RC2125. Good guy to deal with. I sure hope the badger lows work but in the current configuration they lacked a 1/4 inch so hopefully the new bases raise it up enough. I'll try to give you a good range report when everything is setup. As of now all I put through it is SK standard plus. Tried some fiochi but verdicts still out on it as haven't shot it on paper yet. Just steel.

Well if he's looking at the Burris XTR rings he'd have to go either medium or high. Mediums are .5. Highs are .75. Lows are .25. I'm going with either Warne Mediums which are .375 for my 40mm objective scope or Weaver Six-Hole Tactical Rings are .3125" on the Mediums. Plenty of options.

Are you guys taking into account the CENTRE of the scope? Say your base is 0.4" high. And say your Burris mediums are 0.5". You also have to add half of the tube diameter.

So if you're using 30mm rings, you have 15mm + 0.5" from the medium rings + 0.4" from the base. So roughly 1.5 inches from the barrel to the centre line of the tube. So if you had a scope with a bell diameter of 2" (bell radius of 1"), you'd have an extra 0.5" in this case. Add the BCs and you're GTG in my thinking.

A simple equation to find if your scope will clear is (BaseHeight)+(RingHeight)+(TubeDiameter*0.5). If that number is LARGER than your bell radius (with or without covers, depending if you use them) then you will clear the barrel. If it's smaller, then you WON'T clear the barrel. Make sense?

Here is my set-up
my rings are .35" from base to bottom of ring (where scope sits)
my objective is 2.2 inches with 30mm tube

With the EGW 20moa rail and this set-up I have ample room for flip-ups.

As I said, I certainly wouldn't buy a ring that is .5" in height (base to bottom of scope) for your set-up. I prefer to have my scope sit close to the barrel. I'd bet the .25" rings would just fit.

Given that you have a Savage, you also need to indicate if you have an older model or newer e-receiver as that will make a difference. I have the new e-receiver.

This turned out to be a pretty good discussion LOL. Hopefully if the nice ladies at the Post Office will allow me to pick up my package in the a.m. even though there closed. I will be able to mount the 20moa egw base. Didn't end up with any rings yet so I will see if the standard badgers will be high enough. The savage does have the accu trigger, but I have no idea what model it is. It looks identical to the picture a few post up. I mean identical only difference is mine has a threaded barrel.

Guys the verdict is in. Short rings it is. They work perfect with the 20 moa base. The EGW 20 moa base is .330 at the rear and .301 at the front. So it is slightly less than originally estimated, but it still clears even with the butler creek covers on it. The mediums would have been too high and the high's would have been way way to high. I'll try to get some pics up of some targets at 100 and 150 yrds shot with sk standard plus. Thanks for all the help.

Glad to see it worked out for you and you saved a few bucks in the process.

So what height (measurement from base to bottom of scope) are your's?

Looking forward to some pics....