• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ring Height Help???? Swfa SS

kool Guyy117

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2013
Hi I have a Remington 700 sps Varmint and a Swfa sa 10x42 I plan.on ordering rings and base Soon I was Planning on Buying. The tps 20moa base.and tps super low rings does.Anyone know if.this setup will work good and know how.low it will be

Don't have the 10x42, but I have mounted the 5-20x50. It sits really low and will barely accept the butler creek obj. cover. Perfect for me. I also mounted a 3-9x40 leupold same rings with plenty of room. Both ring heights were 0.82" (TPS super low height).

You should be good to go.

Don't have the 10x42, but I have mounted the 5-20x50. It sits really low and will barely accept the butler creek obj. cover. Perfect for me. I also mounted a 3-9x40 leupold same rings with plenty of room. Both ring heights were 0.82" (TPS super low height).

You should be good to go.

thanks man I will be ordering them Soon.

That's a common rifle and scope combo, but if you're not going to measure and add the height of the base and rings, you may want to wait 'til you get feedback from someone who has. That particular scope has a big ocular (rear) ring which could very well interfere with bolt manipulation. Unfortunately, base and ring heights are not the same across manufacturers; it's a trial and error proposition.

Good luck!

MG-70 has a point measuring is best. I don't really see that the 10x42 ocular ring is larger than the 5-20x50, but I don't have them side by side. I would still go with the super lows or break out the measuring tape.

MG-70 has a point measuring is best. I don't really see that the 10x42 ocular ring is larger than the 5-20x50, but I don't have them side by side. I would still go with the super lows or break out the measuring tape.
I have the scope right now mounted on a 700 adl with leupold medium dovetail rings and its pretty low the bolt clears fine I dont.see this new setup being. That low

I have the scope right now mounted on a 700 adl with leupold medium dovetail rings and its pretty low the bolt clears fine I dont.see this new setup being. That low

IF you're using the same bases, and IF the rings are of the same height, then it should work for you. Personally, on a Rem 700 SPS Tactical .308, with the SWFA SS10X and Leupold MKIV 0 cant two-piece bases, I had to go with the Leupold MKIV High rings, after discovering that with the Medium MKIVs, I had to grab the bolt handle like a little old lady grabs a cup of tea. Of course different people have different dimensions, so it's what works for you. I'm just saying that if you're not going to measure or obtain feedback from someone who has, that it may take some exchanging/returns on your part.

Good luck!

IF you're using the same bases, and IF the rings are of the same height, then it should work for you. Personally, on a Rem 700 SPS Tactical .308, with the SWFA SS10X and Leupold MKIV 0 cant two-piece bases, I had to go with the Leupold MKIV High rings, after discovering that with the Medium MKIVs, I had to grab the bolt handle like a little old lady grabs a cup of tea. Of course different people have different dimensions, so it's what works for you. I'm just saying that if you're not going to measure or obtain feedback from someone who has, that it may take some exchanging/returns on your part.

Good luck!
Yeah Ill just wait and see if someone has this setup and if it works for him.Ill do More research I really want the scope low as possible using a piccatinny rail and tacticle rings with out spending like 200$ Thats why I was looking at the tps base and rings since there good quality for the money

There are decent, inexpensive, mounting options out there. EGW, Weaver, and some others make Picatinny style aluminum bases with and without cant, and rings such as Warne (my bang for the buck favorite), as well as Leupold's PRW/QRW, etc. and others are excellent at any price. Heck, even the old school twist-in Leupold rings and bases are excellent. Also, don't discard the idea of buying used, after you figure out what works for you. A lot of guys want the latest and greatest and are always buying and selling. Don't get caught up in the mine's better than yours mentality, but do research what will work, stick to a plan, be patient, then learn to use your equipment to its fullest before thinking of upgrading. Search for picture threads on various sites on the internet and when you see something like what you want, contact the original posters. Good luck