• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ring Height Info - How to Measure Correctly

Re: Ring Height Info - How to Measure Correctly

anyone can tell me about the barret zero gap. Thought of trying them

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,

Lately, on average of about 1 per day, I have seen quite a few posts (mostly from newbies) regarding questions about what ring height should be used. They usually request pics for comparison. For all new guys, there is a systematic way of calculating ring height that doesn't require more than a simple elementary school ruler. You measure 3 things:
1. the height of the front of your base/rail from the barrel
2. the height of your rings from the top of the rail to centerline
3. the outside diameter of the bell of the scope (not the size of the objective lens)

Here is the equation:
<span style="font-weight: bold">[rail height + ring height] - [bell diameter x 0.5]</span>
If the value is positive, then your bell will clear the barrel. Optimally, you want that bell to be about 1/4" or less over the barrel. This will give you a tight cheek weld and provide for more precise trajectory. Be sure to account for Butler Creek caps if you intend on using them.

If you are using a 40mm objective, then you can use the lowest rings and bases available, as the bell will certainly clear the barrel with no problem. i.e. don't worry if the bell ends up being higher than 1/4" over the barrel.

Hope this helps.

Glen Seekins added some good additional info to this post, so check it out as well.

mike </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">What about AR-15 Platform setups???</span>

1.25 - 1.4" from the center of your scope to the top of the rail. All of it depends on you and the stock on your AR. You are going for comfort, not clearance because AR's are a different animal...

Thank you for this info! My take on this is buy scope and base, measure proper gap/ spacing between scoop and base, find proper height rings for your application. Again that's my basic take in this. Hopefully I got it right and not confusing myself or anyone else. Again thank you all!

Hmmm... Six pages of posts and not one word regarding "stockweld", the most important consideration of all to assure muscular relaxation, in addition to a minimal parallax condition. Usually, on all but AR style rifles, even when the rings/mount have been selected properly for clearance of the eye piece and objective, the comb will still need some height adjustment to assure a comfortable chipmunk stockweld.

Reactions: Aceteck

Which "Bell Diameter" should I use here for the Vortex PST?

Viper PST 4-16x50mm shows:

Tube Diameter: 30mm
Objective Bell Diameter: 55.8mm
Ocular Bell Diameter: 38.1mm

My question is I have a STS Rem 700 20 inch, My AICS 1.5 will be at my smith on Monday, I am putting a SS 10x42 on it for now until I can afford a NF NXS 3.5x15F1. Could I get away with using seekins low rings for both the Super Sniper 10x42 and the 3.5x15x50 Night Force? I plan to use a Seekins 20MOA base.

I also plan on buying the base and rings at the same time, I know according to page one that the lows should work, BUT, does the AICS 1.5 play into that equation?

Thanks for any and all assistance.

KKJ- The Newb.

your AICS is going to want Medium high rings at the lowest. the cheek piece, even when all the way down is still very high compared to a McMillan or manners stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexasVet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which "Bell Diameter" should I use here for the Vortex PST?

Viper PST 4-16x50mm shows:

Tube Diameter: 30mm
Objective Bell Diameter: 55.8mm
Ocular Bell Diameter: 38.1mm

</div></div>

Objective which is the bigger "front" end of the scope. The Ocular is the eye piece you look through.

"Viper PST 4-16x50mm"

use 50mm. The other number is the actual outside measurement and that differs just a bit with every MFG. Use whatever the scope says it is. This one is a 50mm...

cheek weld is very important thus the reason i always suggest going with the lowest rings that will clear your barrel. Every once in a while, like 1 out of 500 i get someone asking for higher set.

The AICS stocks are a exception because they have a very high cheek piece even when down all the way. .92" is as low as i could go and be nice and comfy.

YMMV....

Thanks for the info here...just seem to be confusing myself here on this as the numbers I am using don't work or I am just getting old but here is the info from one of the scope mount makers which is a "unimount" as to say the mount and rings are all one piece:

LOW: Measurement from the bottom of the mount to the centerline of the scope tube is .937".

MED: Measurement from the bottom of the mount to the centerline of the scope tube is 1.062".

HIGH: Measurement from the bottom of the mount to the centerline of the scope tube is 1.187".

To clarify, here's the math I cam doing that tells me LOW will not work, MED will not work, and HIGH will get me only about 2mm clearance:

LOW = .937 " = 23.7998 mm
MED = 1.062 " = 26.9748 mm
HIGH = 1.187 " = 30.1498 mm

Remember the Objective Bell Diameter: 55.8mm

Using the HIGH set of numbers for the mount:

30.1498 - (55.8 x .5) = 2.2498mm

Am I off in the weeds here or is this good math? Seems I should have more room than that for covers...

You are referring to a regular picatinny mount and not a direct receiver mount (like the Nightforce Direct Mount), right? If so, you forgot to throw in the height of your rail, which should be in the neighborhood of about 8mm. So with the high mount, you should have at least a centimeter of clearance with the scope you are talking about. In this case, go with the medium if you are conservative. I would personally go with the low; that is, if your stock allows for the cheekweld.

This is a direct receiver mount...will take a look around for other direct receiver mounts or may have to go with some non-unimount style such as TPS etc...

This is for a BAR by the way...

Ok. For a bar, u might have to go with a smaller scope bell, but 2 mm is fine. One of my rifles barely clears the barrel. But with the measurement being that close u might want to physically try it out

Great post with great information. I recently asked this question about a scope that I bought. I used the formulas you guys presented, and hopefully it works because I ordered my medium rings.

I do not understand why some of you guys are so negative about "noobs", and asking a question that you may have seen many times. Just pass over the post and go to the next one. Why have an attitude to someone who is asking a question just because you do not like the question?? That sounds pretty arrogant to me. Tom.

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m

Thanks for the great ideas. I was wondering about cheekweld but its a moot point now. Getting adjustable comb stock.

I have a scope mounted maybe a about a 32nd of an inch above (from the O/D of the bell to the barrel base). Do you think tha could calse a problem in your opinion?

Dont get Frustrated with us newbies, if we dont ask we wont know. If you didnt know we wouldnt ask.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FireingForEffect</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a scope mounted maybe a about a 32nd of an inch above (from the O/D of the bell to the barrel base). Do you think tha could calse a problem in your opinion?</div></div>

Shouldn't be an issue unless you are using butler creeks. I forgot the thickness of the caps, but I think it in the neighborhood of a mm or so. So it will be a tight squeeze, and you may have to do a little trimming.

Thank you for your reply. I have sent 40 rounds down range, and it seems to be good. I just didnt know if it might cause a problem eventualy. Thanks again. Greg

information overload! I'm wanting to put a 12x42x56 Nightforce Scope on a Cooper .223 which uses Deerfield bases and Leupold extra high aren't high enough...ideas? (Found out the ex high is 1" high)

OK, no answers... but one of the tech's @ Cooper arms suggested putting a picatinny rail on it, that he had on his, and although his scope was only a 50mm objective, was pretty sure that I could solve my problem from there.

whew, call it the long way around, but Ken Farrell has the base I need and hopefully my NF ultralite medium rings will make it a done deal.

Done deal! Awesome base, awesome customer support, thank you Ken Farrell. Now to sell my Swaro n find a scope that will magnify for these old eyes and reach out to 1000 yards with this Savage 10.

what did you decide on? I believe you got some responses on another post.

Alas, I'm sending the base back to Ken to have it changed to a 15moa base. That should get me a 100yd zero and enough elevation to exhaust this .223 ;-)

The issue I am running into is clearance of my ITRS/EFR front rail on my Sako TRG as a result of the 50mm objective and a slightly longer optic.

My rigns are Burris Xtreme Tactical 30mm Medium with a height of .495" or 12.66mm.

I really need 14-14.5mm rings to clear the ITRS system aka .552-.571".

The problem is finding rings that accomidate this? Weaver has some rings but I don't think they are quit the quality that I am looking for.

Any suggestions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Brownells video:
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/...le-267112/view/

The Midway video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpLi064e_JI

scopesch.jpg

Dimension B can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
High could be .534" with Badger and 3/4" for Burris extreme tactical 30mm.

My solution is to stock a file folder box full of rings, with the 1" segregated from the 30mm rings.

http://swfa.com/Mounts-Rings-and-Bases-C573.aspx

What does it all mean?
As in plumbing, buy 'em all. </div></div>

So the Badger AR-10 & SR-25 style rifles
Extra High
Height 1.25”, diameter 30mm.
with B at .659" should be close to meeting my needs to elevate my scope about 4mm giving room for the scope and a lens cap since I really need about 1mm for the scope cap alone.

Current Burris rings mic out at .497".

Midway is however claiming a different height then Badger is! They are claiming that measurement B (Ring Height: .809" (measured from base of ring to bottom of scope tube))?

Why is this so different and who is actualy correct?

Thanks for the help!

Use Badger's numbers. Midway has such a behemoth of inventory, they sometimes mix up their descriptions.

Re: Ring Height Questions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ......... AR's are completely different. I prefer 1.4" for mine. That is from the top of a normal M4 rail. i also prefer my scope way forward so i get close to the charging handle.
We are working on a kick butt rail riser AND a set of 1.4" tall rings that are all one piece. 30 and 34mm with MOA built in. Not going to happen for just a bit, probably going to be a mad dash build for shot show so you wont see them until sometime next year. </div></div>

Glen, is your AR mount any closer to becoming a reality? Will it be QD or standard attachment? I'm in the process of mounting a USO 1.8-10X on the LMT MWS I just received. I won't mind a standard attachment torqued to a recommended setting on the 308, but I'm pretty sure most will prefer QD.

The AR really is a different animal and there is less room for error. A scope sitting too high can't be overcome by raising the cheek piece due to the need to run the charging handle. As Lindy pointed out, cheek weld is a critical component in this discussion. This rifle will be a more of a precision shooter than my current LMT 5.56 which carries a Short Dot in a Larue SPR-E mount. Sight picture on that is good and it will probably work on the 308. It is nice to have options though, and I like the products you have already brought to us.

Now get crackin' on that AR mount, please!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fritz24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no problems with bell/barrel clearance - but as we speak am having a mounting issue where the scope's bell is making contact with the forward end of the 20MOA base(a Seekins base as it happens). I can't get the scope back quite far enough for proper relief without contact with low or medium rings on my 700P. (Scope is 10x40 SS)

</div></div>

Saw off the base to receiver length, that's what I had to do on my NF rail.

Hi guys...remington 700 MLR, NXS 56 mm objective, rail leupold 20MOA and badger rings HIGHT (1,125") ... should be fine? bell should not touch barrel,right? thx
eek.gif

If you already have your base and scope, the easiest method is to stack pennies on the rail where you will mount your rings and set your scope on them. When you have the correct barrel/bell clearance, this is your height. Measure the stack of pennies with calipers and add .5" for 1" scope tubes, .59055" for 30mm tubes, and .66929" if you have 34's. This will give you the correct height of rings to buy.

Note, if you run a Butler Cap, please allow enough clearance.

Excellent thread. It made it easy for me to determine that I can use any low rings since I'll be topping off my rifle with a Leupold Mark 4 30mm tube, 40mm Objective.

Thanks!!!!

What are the thoughts about a SPS tactical with EGW 20 moa base, Bushnell 4.5-30 scope and Burris XTR rings? What height rings should I go with? Thanks

I would go ahead and buy two sets of rings from the same mfg. from midway and see which one allows your scope to ride as low as possible. Midway will take the ones that didn't work back. This is the best way to get what you want in the long term and it will only cost you a 3 or 4 dollars in the long run

HOLY friggin brain damage
equations, stacking pennies WTF

Bros
all need is some playdoh
make two logs and place where u think rings will be close is good enuff.....equations???
Push down into playdoh ck for clearance and overall height, lower is better
Carefully remove scope from playdoh mounts, measure from top of base to lowest part oh scope indent
So easy even a cave man could fuk it up
Thats your ideal ring height, locate via manufacturers site closest to your measurement
TA DA
stack pennies ....LMAO

No doubt - I like the Brownells video on the front page for the simplicity of using modeling clay and measuring the resulting height.

Reactions: cbrslider

I made a drawing so I could understand the relationships and what was going on.

and as for how much clearance is good, while I am no expert, I think some underestimate the effects of recoil on scope/rail flexing.
see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5pVya7eask

I would think at least .2" would be prudent, but too much more and you might have some cant errors building up.

see attached
photostream

I dont have the base plate or did I buy any rings yet.but the rifle I have is a remington 700 5r milspec,has a heavier barrel.Its a stock rifle.Im going with steel nightforce picatenny one peice 20 moa base plate,but I need to know what height of steel nightforce rings should I buy.scope is a nightforce benchrest 8x32x56 A lot of you know this already Im sure,I figured its faster to ask, thank you.

Guys, I've got a Q? to ask in regards to the scope to barrel height relation.
I run an AR-10, w/ a SASS Rail. I use ARMS # 22 high rings for my Leupy M3 glass. I have an ITT PVS14 w/ TNVC universal mount for it ( this mounts the 14 on the rear of the scope ).
Now I do have to move my scope forward inorder to use it.
Not for any kinda work purpose, just have it, cause a PVS22 is too hot ( $$$$ ) for me.
I have heard that it is not prudent to have your scope mounted to the upper and front rail ?
So, already considering the ARMS SWAN Rail.
But <span style="font-weight: bold">How high is too high for a scope.?</span>
Being the #22H's are at 1.45 ( from base to center )
Currently my scope sits about almost at 2.5inches above the bore.
I also use a PRS w/o the cheek riser for a good weld.

Now inorder to clear the use of the PVS14, I'm not sure if going to the #22 mediums heights would work.
So if using the SWAN rail, keeping the #22H's this will add about another .5 rise to the scope, and put me at 3inches over the bore, is that too high ???

**options**
I could go w/ the #22M's / SWAN rail to keep me at 2.5 over the bore and modify the rear of the SWAN, by cutting it shorter to allow for clearence of the TNVC mount ???

thanx for the Help.

I just bought a Barrett 98B mounted a Nightforce with 56MM objective. I had to go with super high rings to clear the bell of scope. I know that the closer the scope to the barrel the better the trajectory. I feel like I have to caulk my head uncomfortably to look through scope. Any suggestions from others who have shot the 98B. Is this something I have to deal with due to the design of this rifle. I have the cheek piece all the way down.