• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ring Height vs. Cheek Weld, Comfort, Fatigue etc...

Longshot231

Four Star General
Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2018
    Here's some background information:

I have a Remington 700 in a KRG W-3 chassis, chambered in .22-250. The scope was a Vortex Viper PST 5-25X 30mm tube. It was mounted in Burris signature rings 1 inch height on a Badger Ordnance 20 MOA base.

I'm getting the rifle re-barreled to 6.5 CM with Krieger #10 heavy bull barrel. I am thinking of getting a Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56mm scope. I'm thinking of getting the Burris XTR signature rings in one inch height. Based on my calculations, I should have plenty of barrel/scope clearance.

Now here is my question. Even though I would have plenty of barrel clearance with the 1 inch height, would I be better off considering ergonomics with the 1.5 inch height?

I was reading on some other sites that from a prone position that the raised cheek piece (to accommodate higher rings) was more comfortable and put less strain on the neck and provided a better cheek weld than for lower rings. I'm asking this with respect to a chassis system NOT for a traditional rifle stock.

So for anyone that has had the experience of using both the lower rings versus a higher set, what is your opinion? Did you feel an improvement with moving to higher rings?

Higher rings typically allow you to keep your head more erect.

This leads to less muscle strain and typically more comfortable.

i went from Seekins 1” 30mm rings which got my LRHS very low to Seekins 1.26” 34mm rings which gives my Athlon scopes plenty of clearance. I’m more comfortable with the higher rings.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
    I find that higher rings allow my eye to center more naturally behind the scope because my cheek weld is lower. If the scope were lower my check weld would more towards my cheekbone vs. my jaw. Might be unique to my melon geometry....

Just swapped out a set of M-10 mediums for some x-high’s.
    Mostly because it works better with the Charlie tarac but laying on the carpet getting everything kosher tells me this is gonna be super comfy.

Contrary to the popular opinion of every Facebook operator out there... I’m the same way. I prefer my my rings higher than slammed on the barrel. I can get a much better cheek weld with the scope up in high or x-high rings depending on the brand. For me it’s about repeatability.

I used to be an avid trap shooter. It was one gun sport I can say I really way freakin good at, the rest of these I’m just acceptable lol. But when I would set up my trap guns to where I could go from closing the action of the un-single to my shoulder with my eyes closed, open them, and have the same sight picture every time. LOP, Comb height, angle of the pad, etc over and over and over until it was repeatable in my sleep. Then I’d pattern the gun to see how high it shot with my repeatable cheek weld and get to work.

I do my rifles the same way now. as long as I can get on the gun in what feels like a natural easy to repeat position, I don’t give a damn how high the scope is above the barrel.

Contrary to the popular opinion of every Facebook operator out there... I’m the same way. I prefer my my rings higher than slammed on the barrel. I can get a much better cheek weld with the scope up in high or x-high rings depending on the brand. For me it’s about repeatability.

I used to be an avid trap shooter. It was one gun sport I can say I really way freakin good at, the rest of these I’m just acceptable lol. But when I would set up my trap guns to where I could go from closing the action of the un-single to my shoulder with my eyes closed, open them, and have the same sight picture every time. LOP, Comb height, angle of the pad, etc over and over and over until it was repeatable in my sleep. Then I’d pattern the gun to see how high it shot with my repeatable cheek weld and get to work.

I do my rifles the same way now. as long as I can get on the gun in what feels like a natural easy to repeat position, I don’t give a damn how high the scope is above the barrel.
    I like a higher scope on my target rifles and lower on my hunting rifles. Fit of a rifle is not nearly as important In regards to making the shot as a shotgun. Rifles have sights. Repeatability isn’t necessary when lining up sights. Lining up sights are. Shotguns rely on natural pointing to make the shot. Repeatability is the key to consistency there considering sights aren't used.

You ought to get back to trap shooting considering you are skilled there. Why did you let it go?

@Huskerhunter mentioned a weld closer to the jaw than to the cheekbone; that type of weld is VERY uncomfortable for me, as it prevents me from being able to rest the weight of my head on the comb. Consequently, I configure my rifles to allow for a weld pretty close to my cheek bone, which requires that the scope be mounted pretty much as low as possible.

Cheek weld is also situational and/or user preference.

Using more of a jaw weld has very little weight of your head resting on the rifle. Pro: less influence on the rifle. Con: this uses more muscle to keep your head up and therefore doesn’t work well for extended times.

Cheek weld is the opposite. Pro: takes weight of head off mucles and therefore good when you need to be on the rifle for very long periods of time. Con: puts more weight on the rifle, therefore increasing the possibility of influencing POI.

If your cheek piece adjusts high enough, you can utilize both a cheek and jaw weld with high rings.

I have high cheekbones. Even with low rings on a traditional stock I’ve always had to add something like the old lace on cheek pieces.

Just swapped out a set of M-10 mediums for some x-high’s.
    Mostly because it works better with the Charlie tarac but laying on the carpet getting everything kosher tells me this is gonna be super comfy.
    I came to this conclusion as well. I run x-high on both of my AIs and it is super comfy. No more neck strain

Reactions: Steel head
    You just need enough saddle height for bolt operation and maybe scope cover in the front if necessary. You guys want your big fat head up plus extra torso. Might as well just set up a table and chair if you want to be most comfortable and less tired.

I came to this conclusion as well. I run x-high on both of my AIs and it is super comfy. No more neck strain
    Actually shot it today.
    I’m mostly a prone shooter and this setup is very comfortable.

I felt very relaxed and shot well today so it didn’t hurt anything for sure.

Reactions: Nik H
    Everyone is different. @Dthomas3523 is spot on about the height of the cheek piece and how it affects the pressure and placement of your face on the stock.

The PX always has good deals on rings. I settled on Hawkins 1.15" rings. 1" rings were too low and I tried 1.375" badgers which really irritated the right side of my neck after a short time being in the gun.

Ive got a long neck with high cheek bones like but find high rings uncomfortable.