• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ring height vs mounting rail question (with pic)

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
So I have an st-10 scope mounted in SWFA low rings. Unfortunately the objective bell strikes the rail before the scope gets as far back as I would like it. While in prone, I have to stretch my neck to get a proper picture. Not a lot, but enough to notice and turn slightly annoying if I am shooting all day.

So I am wondering if it would be better to stretch a little and be able to keep the scope closer to the barrel like it is, or get higher rings and move it back?

Pics for reference.

kQsJvng.jpg

Comfort is everything, get higher rings and adjust your scope hight settings in your shooting program.

Grind the rail down and move the scope back. I had to cut two slots off my seekins rail foe my NF 2-10x42 to make it right. Sometimes you have to modify things a bit to suit your individual needs. In the end it will be better than either option of higher rings or poor posture.

Last edited:
Get new rings or modify the rail. I personally prefer my scope close to the rail.

If you do raise it, which is totally fine, I would add a stock comb raiser to the stock to keep a good cheek weld and get good sight picture.