• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Ring Height

WOURugger51

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2011
first off, Please don't flame me. Yes I have read several threads, including the sticky.

My problem is that I'm currently in Afghanistan, and am building this gun from the ground up. I've ordered everything except rings, and when I come home I don't want to measure and then order the rings (deer season will almost be over).

I've got an SPS Tactical 308, Leupold 15MOA picatinny rail, B&C Medallist A2 stock, and a 3-9x50 Leupold VX-III.

I want to have the lowest rings possible, I think... Someone please throw me a bone here.

thank you!

Re: Ring Height

one more thing:

I DO plan on installing a 4" sun shade and wrapping the scope with camo wrap.

order 2 sets and return the ones that you like the least??

you wont harm them just by figuring out clearance on a scope.

Dang, I keep seeing this hoping some will help you out since you are in the sand box. I don't have the scope or the rifle you are putting together, but get someone to measure the OD on the front bell.

Assuming the 50mm is 55m OD (SWAG), you need half of 2.17" or 1.083" if it had to clear a rail. Less since it will sit on top of a 1913 base and less still since your barrel is probably a little lower than the receiver.

Lows
smile.gif
Something in the .82" height should fit perfect...

50mm objective and any contour up to or equal to a Sendero, PSS or Varmit contour and you can use lows every time..

I have a SPS-T in 223 with a 0 MOA Badger base and standard Badger rings (.823" base to ring c/l) mounting a Mk4 6.5-20x50. Enough room for Butler Creek objective cap.

OFG

FWIW I had leupold mark 4 medium rings(.84") on my 700p with a 20 moa base and a 4.5-14x50 leupold mk4 with 2" sunshade. There was probably 1/4" between the bell of the scope and barrel.
This is the only pic I can find for reference.....It was before I had the sunshade...
b7dea663.jpg

Hope that helps some and thanks for doing what you are doing out there!

Here's my experience. I had a 5.5-22x 56mm NF scope with a SPS tac (rem varmint contour barrel). Scope came with the sunshade. The .885" NF rings was perfect. Later, I got a custom rifle with a M24/40 barrel, and I had to use 1.00" rings. Now, I just get all my rings at the 1.00" height to keep things simple, so that I can move the scope to different rifles easily. The difference in height from .885 - 1.00" is really not noticeable to me. Hope this helps.