• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Ring heights question - gun not available for calculation of height

patrick_msl

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2012
Southwest Virginia
Hey guys. Sorry to be the guy who asks another damn ring height question. My only problem is I do not have my rifle yet and I am trying to figure out which ring height I need before I get my gun......trying to get everything lined up with in the next week for a shoot; crunched for time.

Just curious if any of you all are running a savage model 10 action with a 50mm scope and what height rings are you all using? I will be doing a non elevated base. My setup will be the savage 10 tr, Bushnell hdmr 3.5-21x50 and TPS steel rings (debating over low or medium).

Again sorry to be the guy asking the question but was hoping someone could help me out so I don't have to wait a week after I get gun to order rings.

Thanks in advance.

-Patrick

I went with medium height rings originally on my Savage mod 10FP. I'm not sure if the low rings will work with the large objective. I was in your position, and did not want to wait, so opted for the medium rings, just in case the low rings did not offer enough clearance.

I have a 10tr with the egw base and seekins medium rings. I have right around a quarter inch of clesrance between bell and barrel. Without the rail it would probably not mount up. I think I could have gottwn away with lows but the difference would have been .05 in height not a whole lot less than I have now

Badger "std" at .823" work well on a 700 with a 20 MOA rail. Scope is MK4 6.5-20 X 50 with BC caps. Mediums aren't needed. Whatever you decide on, look at the numbers, "low" and " medium" mean different things to different makers.

OFG

The Bushnell you have has a 34mm tube and not a 30mm tube like the other scopes mentioned so you can't really use their heights. The low TPS at 1.025" height should work fine as I use .92" height Seekins Precision 34mm rings for my 50mm objective S&B. You could go with the higher rings if you wanted but if you don't have an adjustable cheek piece then I would stick with the low.

I have a savage 10 with a varmint barrel, Egw 20 moa base, sightron siii 8-32x56 in low tps rings. Has just enough clearance for the factory Sightron objective cap. I use low or extra low rings on all of my rigs with rails.