• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ring just above shoulder

jh26

Private
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2012
IN
This was virgin brass to start. Brass has been fired six times all through the same gun. Tac 30 in .260, bartlein barrel. Shooting 139 scenars 18k off the lands 41.7 h4350, 2815fps. I anneal every second firing on a bench source annealer. I just noticed this ring today, just barely catches a fingertip ever so slightly. Also just noticed some scratches around the neck as well. Seems to be on every peice and not all the way around on some.
I full length size with RCBS gold medal die and 291 bushing. Trim to 2.025 each time.
I have a 1000 rounds down the tube and cleaned at 10rds, 100, 500 and 900 rounds.
Anything to worry about or ideas on why it has shown up?

Attachments

• 6D8E7319-DCF1-499A-90F3-7A3F6A049FD8.jpeg
    6D8E7319-DCF1-499A-90F3-7A3F6A049FD8.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 162
  • C7ABE9A2-FEF3-4823-822A-4ECCFAB0F3AB.jpeg
    C7ABE9A2-FEF3-4823-822A-4ECCFAB0F3AB.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 163
Looks like the inside your bushing has been scratched and / or has some brass shavings imbedded in it. The bushing needs to have the inside lightly polished to remove the scratches / imbedded brass. I had this happen ion a Forster 308 F/L die.

I will clean the die and bushing really well to start, and I have another bushing I can try as well. The tiny lip I can feel is what concerns me more, thanks for the reply.

These appeared after firing or after sizing? I had an issue with a rifle I purchased from a real crappy smith and the chamber had a ring on it because his chamber cutter was nicked. But that was very pronounced and if this just started happeningthat is most likely not the case. if the ring is completely around the neck then I would assume it takes place in something that turns. What kind of trimmer are you using?

After sizing. I cleaned the hell out of everything and will keep a close eye on it to see if anything gets worse. I am trim on an rcbs trim pro, thanks for the feedback.

Looks to me like your bushing is just hammering the neck. Sometimes the bushings have a crappy chamfer in them, which picks up brass shavings as noted above. Just a few cycles un-lubed could have started that as well. Usually gets worse rapidly from there though.

Hhhmmmm you just made me think of something I do every now and then. I switched back and forth from the hornaday spray lube to the regular lube pad, every now and then I feel like I have too much lube and I will run a bare case through it. Not wanting to have too much lube build up inside the die, is it possible that started the issu? In any event I will not run the case dry.......I must add when I have done that, it has been smooth and no sign of a sticking case FWIW.

I just ran down and sized a few pieces of brass that had no markings, sure enough 100% after sizing. Switched out the bushing and ran a few and they came out perfect. Thanks for everyone's help.

Hhhmmmm you just made me think of something I do every now and then. I switched back and forth from the hornaday spray lube to the regular lube pad, every now and then I feel like I have too much lube and I will run a bare case through it. Not wanting to have too much lube build up inside the die, is it possible that started the issu? In any event I will not run the case dry.......I must add when I have done that, it has been smooth and no sign of a sticking case FWIW.

Sizing a neck doesn’t involve a bunch of work, so it’s not surprising you didn’t feel a difference. I’d also avoid any neck chamfering work just prior to sizing, unless absolutely necessary due to a burr or lip. Some dies/bushings will let you get away with little or no lube, but it’s up to you to determine that.

Another thing to keep in mind is that neck bushings are only chamfered on one side (at least my Redding dies) and they are also supposed to be left slightly loose in the die so they can self-center.

Cranking down the die mechanism or installing the bushing the wrong direction could contribute to this problem.

Looks like your getting the dreaded neck donut from neck sizing only.
Run a few threw a FL sizer and see if it goes away.

I'm with Brux, it's a donut forming, bushing dies can do that on their own, esp if the neck dia in your chamber generous. If the donut is on the outside, it is on the inside too, if the bearing surface of your bullet contacts it, accuracy can degrade. If it doesn't, you have a few more firings before chambering becomes an issue. A reg die will force it to the inside, but will make it worse if bullet touching it.

I neck size also and when my brass starts to get a donut I just run them threw a FL sizer with the expander mandrel in it and the donut is gone.
Milo is right,its according to how deep you seat your bullets it can contact the bearing surface on your bullet.
What is your fired case neck diameter and what size of bushing are you using?

All, I do keep the bushing lose and the writing on the bushing upright as I believe that is correct. I do Full Length size every time.
I am not at home to measure but 99% sure fired case neck is .295, maybe .296. I size with a .291 bushing and loaded rounds are .293 and bullets are seated to 2.243 using a hornady comparator. I have switched to a new bushing and it seems to have solved the problem some other brass I have to size. Thanks for the reply's.

It sounds like you use a FL bushing die, which is what I use also, but when I see donuts starting on my cases I size them with a standard FL die. Not my FL bushing die. But my cases never get donuts as bad as yours.