• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Ring Size for Savage 12 and Nightforce

FISMA

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2012
All,
Thanks in advance for your help.

I will be picking up my Savage 12 F/TR tomorrow and plan to put the Night Force 12-42x56 NXS NP-R2 scope with steel rings and base (1-piece 20moa), also by Night Force.

If anyone has the same setup, would you please advise what size rings you used in order to minimize space between the scope bell and the barrel. Did you have to go with intermediates or something smaller.

Again, thanks.

Re: Ring Size for Savage 12 and Nightforce

If you haven't gotten the rings and base yet you should reconsider and get alloy. You aren't jumping out of anything and you don't need the extra weight in the scope. An 18lb TR rifle is not going to shake a scope much.

Then when you get your next barrel you can add on another inch, and no matter what she tells you bigger is better. (at least in F class)

Saying that, I went the Badger route when I first started too, so I'm shooting with steel rings and base. If you are on a rail you should need about 0.9 ring height. I my 8-32 is mounted in Badger mediums with a 30MOA rail. I believe they are .885, It barely has any room over a Heavy Palma tube. Mine is a Remington but it shouldn't be too different. I'd look for a Seekins or Badger medium highs. (0.92 and 1.0 respectively)

You might want to considered that 20moa base with the 12-42x56.

Thanks XTR and mjh for the feedback.

I should have mentioned that the rail I have chosen is a 20MOA.

I have always preferred steel rings, just a personal preference.

I also use Burris XTR rings on all of my hunting rifles. Would they be out of place on an F/TR build?

I see a lot of F class rifles, especially in open, that don't use a rail at all. Burris XTRs would be fine (Not by the way where my handle comes from, I started using it online almost 20 yrs ago because I raced MTBs) as would just about any other quality ring out there. If you were having weight issues Z Force rings would probably do the job and save several oz over a rail and rings setup.

The rail does give you some fore and aft adjustment but usually it's not needed, and possibly a hit more rigidity, but seriously we're shooting at a 1MOA 10 ring, it's not going to make enough that anyone will ever see. TR is Target Rifle, so the idea is to put together the best rig that you can that will put bullets in the middle of the target and make weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see a lot of F class rifles, especially in open, that don't use a rail at all. Burris XTRs would be fine (Not by the way where my handle comes from, I started using it online almost 20 yrs ago because I raced MTBs) as would just about any other quality ring out there. If you were having weight issues Z Force rings would probably do the job and save several oz over a rail and rings setup.

The rail does give you some fore and aft adjustment but usually it's not needed, and possibly a hit more rigidity, but seriously we're shooting at a 1MOA 10 ring, it's not going to make enough that anyone will ever see. TR is Target Rifle, so the idea is to put together the best rig that you can that will put bullets in the middle of the target and make weight. </div></div>

Agree. I'd add that XTRs are not the shit if you are into concentricity (they are not). However, you may well bepleased with Burris Signature (the z sries since you are on a rail). Prefect rings and a perfect setup.