• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Rings and Base for Remington 700 5R SS in .308

dbochoa

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2012
Hi all - new to the forum so thanks in advance for your feedback. I just bought a Remington 700 .308 with a 24" stainless steel barrel. I also just bought a Zeiss Conquests 6.5-20x50 stainless scope that still needs to be mounted, and I want to make sure it is done right with the proper setup. Note that I am only going to be using this for long range target shooting trying to work my way up to 1000 yards. Any suggestions are welcome - here are my questions:
1. Do I need a 20 MOA base for this setup?
2. Do I need high rings or can I get away with medium rings?
3. Does anybody make high quality but affodable stainless base or at least stainless rings?
4. Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Best regards,

Don

Re: Rings and Base for Remington 700 5R SS in .308

1. Need? Hard to say, but no reason not to go 20moa.

2. Medium Seekins should do

3. No, not really, just go Seekins black and be proud your rings don't match your scope.

4. Buy Seekins. Best value to quality imho.

1. Do I need a 20 MOA base for this setup? <span style="color: #FF0000">Yes, if you plan to go to 1K I would do 20moa</span>
2. Do I need high rings or can I get away with medium rings? <span style="color: #FF0000">medium</span>
3. Does anybody make high quality but affodable stainless base or at least stainless rings? <span style="color: #FF0000">Steel or aluminium is fine unless you are looking for stainless finish</span>
4. Any other thoughts/suggestions? <span style="color: #FF0000">Seekins, Badger, TPS or Warne if your on a budget</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Need? Hard to say, but no reason not to go 20moa.

3. No, not really, just go Seekins black and be proud your rings don't match your scope.

4. Buy Seekins. Best value to quality imho. </div></div>

So your saying get Seekins
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dbochoa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also just bought a Zeiss Conquests 6.5-20x50 stainless scope that still needs to be mounted, and I want to make sure it is done right with the proper setup.</div></div>

Which reticle is in your Conquest? The Rapid-Z 1000 has a reticle design that might not work well with a 20 MOA base, due to where the short-range aiming point is in that reticle. For those not familiar, here's a good image of that reticle (the image at Zeiss' website seems too small):

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-65-20x50-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P8677.aspx

If you got the Rapid-Z 1000 I think you may want to the 0 MOA base, and may want to ask Zeiss directly if that scope and reticle is practical with a 20 MOA base.

If you got the standard plex reticle then no argument with the comments above mine.

if you are really wanting ss check with murphy precision. as for price, you usually get what you pay for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Need? Hard to say, but no reason not to go 20moa.

4. Buy Seekins. Best value to quality imho. </div></div>

Just went this route myself and am very pleased with the results.

20MOA base and medium rings are the way to go. I tried mounting a higher ring set on the 5r but it makes the scope way too high and you would need a huge stock pack to raise the comb enough for it to make sense.

Seekins only makes 1 set of 1" rings and they are low.
I had a 4-14x50 conquest mounted in a set on a Remington 20moa rail and it fit fine FWIW.