• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Rings and Bases for New Scope and Rifle

bluzy788

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2011
I've got a new Remington 700 with the bull barrel in stainless. I bought a Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20x50 scope, with 1-inch tubes. Manual says the scope should be mounted on the rifle at an angle of approximately 20 angular minutes using commercially avaiable mounting system. I'm a total newbie here, what do I buy in terms of rings and bases to meet the configuration to allow full use of the elevation adjustment? What style will serve my needs best as I shoot hopped up .308 Winchester handloads out to 600, 700 and 800 yards and beyond? I see one piece, two piece, picatinny rail, Weaver, Leupold, Burris, the permutations are infinite.

As the rifle is stainless and the scope is stainless, should I get silver rings? Or will that just create three different shandes of silver? I was kind of thinking the black rings would look cool and contrast the silver and pick up the black on the scope.

Any thoughts you learned gentlemen and women could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Robert
-Bluzy788

Re: Rings and Bases for New Scope and Rifle

You will defititely need that 20 MOA base to reach those distances. NIghtforce has a very nice 20 MOA base. YOu will also want to stick with a 1 piece, more solid platform for you. If your looking for something a little less in price, we also have the EGW HD base for the SA 700 with a 20 MOA. As for rings a nice set of Warne, talley, Weaver tactical, Burris Xtreme, or Nightforce will work for you. You will need to go with a high heigh for your setup most likely. I wouldn't worry about matching colors, it will probably give you 3 different shades, matte black is always a good way to go. the best setup would be going picatinny spec on the rail and rings, that will ensure the best fit.

I've had good results with the Seekins bases and rings.
The low rings on a 50mm Nightforce give me just barely enough room for a Butler Creek cap. I actually had to sand it down a little bit for complete clearance. That's on a Varmint contour 700 SA rifle similar to yours.

There's lots of good stuff out there. I started out with the Seekins and I haven't seen any reason to change.

+1 on the egw i have 2 of these they work great and are cheap