• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rings and mount advice

LRSFNG

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2013
SoCal
Hello, noob here, I'm putting together my first precision rifle. The rifle is a rem 700 5r .308. I will be ordering my scope next week a Stiener 5-25x56 with MSR reticle. Can you give me some advice for rings and base. I was thinking Seekins or Badger rings but not sure about the base (20moa). One piece or two piece base?. Do the rings have to be lapped? Does the base need to be bedded?. Also I live in SoCal, can you recommend a good gun smith. Thanks - JC

If you buy quality rings (which you should) like Seekins, Badger, NF, Aadland, etc. you do NOT lap them. Lapping is for rings made with poor quality.

The general consensus is that 1-piece mounts are superior due to having less of an issue with misalignment and 20 MOA is what most guys run, but this depends on what ranges you'll be shooting. However, for a 308, you won't need more than 20 MOA but it's nice to have in case you rebarrel.

I run seekins 20moa base with seekins rings on my Rem 700. with a swfa 16x42 scope. it allows me to hit 1000 yards.
I have and still strongly suggest seekins. They have great products and great CS as well. I have never heard anything bad about badger. I do not have any exper. with them. I highly doubt you can go wrong with any of the quality base and rings though. Good Luck with the build and please post pics when you are finished

Thank you to everyone for the info, links and advice. I'm going to order the Seekins rings and base. I hoping to get everything together in the next two weeks and get finally out to the range. The waiting is killing me :)

dont want to alarm you!!!!!!!! but i waited 6 months for my rings and base from seekins..... it was well worth the the wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drock, six months - OUCH! I've had my rifle for ten months saving up for glass etc. I don't know that I could wait another six months to finally take it out to shoot. If I'm not able to find the Seekins I'll go with Badger rings and base.

I would call them and see if they have them in stock and ready to ship.. also try to find a retailer who may have them in stock.
sometimes SWFA has them in stock. Good luck! also check the items for sell here on the hide.