• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes rings cheap vs expensive

al50bmgshooter

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2011
Is there really a big difference in $30 rings versus $130 rings. This would be on a nightforce scope and aics 1.5 stock rem 700 .308. Is the difference where the eye cant see?

Re: rings cheap vs expensive

This question gets asked at least once a month. If you want to trust your $1700+ scope mounted to your $1500. rifle with $30. rings, by all means go right ahead.

This is something you have to decide for yourself: where and how to spend your money.

For sure you can tell the difference in quality. The materials used, the way they are machined, the finish applied, the customer support, the design, and where it's made does make a difference.

I dont mind spending the extra money if it makes a difference. Im not going to buy it just becuase of a name stamped on the side.

You should not worry about "the name stamped on the side" but, in the case of rings, precision machining matters and you can definitely feel and see the difference between lesser rings and the good stuff like Seekins, Badger, Nightforce, and even Warne. I have used the Warne tactical syle rings on a few of my NF scopes. They are less expensive and well made. THe only disadvantage, if you can call it one, is how they go together.

The biggest difference comes not just in the materials used for construction, but in quality control for precision matching. I pay for premium just to not have to lap because they're already in alignment and know I'm not going to end up with either a loose or over tight fit on my scope.

It's not just for a "Gucci" type name stamped on the side, there is a reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: al50bmgshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont mind spending the extra money if it makes a difference. Im not going to buy it just becuase of a name stamped on the side. </div></div>

I get it. After 3 posts here, you want us to take the time, trouble and research to convince you that $30. rings are inferior to $130. rings, and not just marketing hype.

Why did you buy the NF instead of a Barska scope? Why did you buy an AICS stock instead of a Hogue Overmolded?

Maybe because of quality, longevity, and performance??? If so, you already have your answer on why most $30. rings are inferior to most $130. rings.

No spoon feeding today, time to put your big-boy pants on, sport.

If money didn't matter and the $30 rings (or $100 stocks, or $50 scopes or Cheap "FILL IN THE BLANK PRODUCTS") really worked, I assure you that we'd all be a lot happier and we'd all own a whole lot more firearms!!

However, as with all things in this world, you get what you pay for and make no mistakes that you are NOT just paying for a name on the product or on the box. You will be definitely able to tell the difference between a high-quality (materials and workmanship), well-engineered and manufactured set of Badger, Seekins, Nightforce, etc. rings in comparison with an el-cheapo set of Trashco rings from your local Wally-World. You have already spent roughly $3k+ on your rifle/chassis/optics thus far...might as well do it right the first time and be done with it! Or you can learn the lesson the hard way, go cheap, potentially screw up a $2k scope (give or take) all to save $100 on a set of rings now.
wink.gif

Good luck!

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

My Father was stationed in Germany in the 60's bought a fine German Rifle and a fine German Scope. He bought a cheap set of rings, He was taken hunting with a local German and had an opportunity to take a shot on a deer, he missed and was puzzled.
My father at the time was on the marksmanship team and a national champion college shooter. He worked the issue and came to realize the cheap rings shifted, got loose. He went back to the same shop where he bought them had them upgraded to some fine German Rings made for the scope and rifle he had purchased. That is a lesson learned from my father that I still hold true to this day.
Optics matter, Rings matter.

I just found this site but frequent another site.
I dont post whore. I ask a question to the point.
Im sure the question has been asked 100 times before, and will 100 times more, so what.
There are always new shooters coming looking for knowledge. Some may ponder the same question and not have the extra money to spend for high end rings.

Badget makes MIL SPEC rings, names and fancy packaging doesn't matter at all, but- mfg to MIL SPEC does. There maybe just as good or even better rings around, but you know you're getting top grade when you purchase the Badger MIL SPECs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: al50bmgshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Some may ponder the same question and not have the extra money to spend for high end rings. </div></div>

so be it, then the question could have been "whats the best rings I can get for 30 bucks, im on a tight budget" not are they worth the extra money, and then argue about the responses.

$30 rings suck, don't believe it, buy some.

The lowest quality rings that I would even consider is the TPS TSRs. These start at around $70

Pick up a pair of Seekins Precision rings. $119 and worth every penny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pick up a pair of Seekins Precision rings. $119 and worth every penny. </div></div>

A HUGE +1 on the above. I have owned so many different rings from different manufacturers. I prefer Seekins, even to Badgers, and the Badgers are alot more expensive. Buy Seekins, and never look back...

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: super-tac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$30 rings suck, don't believe it, buy some.

The lowest quality rings that I would even consider is the TPS TSRs. These start at around $70</div></div>

I actually bought a pair of $20 Weaver rings to use while my TPS rings were on backorder. They held very well and in fact, did not leave any ring marks. My TPS rings did. My next rings will be badger.

Talk about something leaving ring marks... BADGER!!

Buy Seekins... then come back and thank us!!

DK

I only had one set of Seekins and they left ring marks too. But I could carless about ring marks on my scope. Most of them will come right out with some cleaning and a little car wax it will look like new.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Badget makes MIL SPEC rings, names and fancy packaging doesn't matter at all, but- mfg to MIL SPEC does. There maybe just as good or even better rings around, but you know you're getting top grade when you purchase the Badger MIL SPECs.</div></div>

Sir - What "MIL SPEC" are you referring to? Thank you. ELN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WyomingShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Badget makes MIL SPEC rings, names and fancy packaging doesn't matter at all, but- mfg to MIL SPEC does. There maybe just as good or even better rings around, but you know you're getting top grade when you purchase the Badger MIL SPECs.</div></div>

Sir - What "MIL SPEC" are you referring to? Thank you. ELN </div></div>

Perhaps this one: The Picatinny rail MIL-STD-1913 rail or STANAG 2324 rail.

What about the SWFA SS rings? They are very low cost, and look pretty good.
Personally I spent the money for a pair of Seekins and a pair of Badgers. However $200 for the Badgers still feels a bit awkward.

I just talked to a guy who bought some $30 Weaver "tactical" rings and was having issues sighting in, burned up all his windage and still wasn't on. I told him to ditch the Weavers and at the least run TPS. After the switch his first shots were only 2" off center. He was pretty surprised the rings were that out of whack.

I've heard people say spend at least half of your rifle's cost on a scope. I like to add spend at least 10% of your scope's cost on rings. $3000 rifle, $1500 scope, $150 rings.

The guy above spent $1400 on his rifle, $700 on his scope and with the TPS $70 on his rings and it all worked out... He's going to use the Weaver rings for a flashlight mount.

It really depend on what you are using the rings for and your round count. For your set up, don't go cheap. Leupold, nightforce, Seekins, Badgers, just to name a few. If you were asking what rings to put on a starter rifle/rimfire trainer with a bushnell scope, I would say weaver/burris would do fine. But once you start spending over 2-3k into your rifle, you want it to be as consistent as you can get. A burris/weaver works fine for a starter/trainer rifle because you are still developing your consistency as a shooter. Once you start getting serious into marksmanship, then you want to eliminate as many mechanical variable as you can from your system to get the most accuracy. Therefore, when you miss, you know it's YOUR problem and not your weapon system.

Obviously, we all buy $200 rings because of the name. Of course they are the same as $30 rings, why else would we pay 5x as much?

Obviously, I just paid $400 for a Spuhr mount because it was as good as $30 rings. Obviously.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WyomingShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Badget makes MIL SPEC rings, names and fancy packaging doesn't matter at all, but- mfg to MIL SPEC does. There maybe just as good or even better rings around, but you know you're getting top grade when you purchase the Badger MIL SPECs.</div></div>

Perhaps this one: The Picatinny rail MIL-STD-1913 rail or STANAG 2324 rail. </div></div>

The reference was to "MIL SPEC" rings, not rails. The words "MIL SPEC" are often used. I'm wondering what paw print meant when he spoke of "MIL SPEC" in the context of scope rings. Best regards, ELN.

No man, you paid for that Spuhr because it looked gangsta! Now you can hold your rifle side ways.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obviously, we all buy $200 rings because of the name. Of course they are the same as $30 rings, why else would we pay 5x as much?

Obviously, I just paid $400 for a Spuhr mount because it was as good as $30 rings. Obviously.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WyomingShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WyomingShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Badget makes MIL SPEC rings, names and fancy packaging doesn't matter at all, but- mfg to MIL SPEC does. There maybe just as good or even better rings around, but you know you're getting top grade when you purchase the Badger MIL SPECs.</div></div>

Perhaps this one: The Picatinny rail MIL-STD-1913 rail or STANAG 2324 rail. </div></div>

The reference was to "MIL SPEC" rings, not rails. The words "MIL SPEC" are often used. I'm wondering what paw print meant when he spoke of "MIL SPEC" in the context of scope rings. Best regards, ELN. </div></div>

While I may be off base, but if you have a rail made to the MIL-STD-1913, then the ring maker simply cuts the base of his rings to fit that standard, No??

If the rings don't fit the base, then they do NOT meet the 1913 Rail standard and will not work......Think about it...

Do it once, do it right, get a pair of these:

Best rings on the market.

Maximum grip on your scope, least amount of pressure, absolutely will not bind, damage or interfere with your scope and they tolerate out of spec rails for repeated return to zero. They are Type III <span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="color: #CC0000">MIL-SPEC</span></span> hard anodized and probably the best machined rings out there.

Sorry Paw, couldn't resist....

I think Im sold on the seekins rings and base, sent Marshal an email, yall said he'son of the good guys =-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c1steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about the SWFA SS rings? They are very low cost, and look pretty good.......

</div></div>

These were by far the worst rings I've ever seen. I was pretty amazed considering how nice the SS scopes are for their price point. Cheap Leupold or Weaver rings are better. I have a pair waiting to ship back to SWFA sitting on my bed right now.

While I would not run a set of cheapo Weavers or similar on a nice rifle, I have to say the Burris Signature Zee rings have really impressed me for the price. I'll be the first to tell you a lot of cheap rings are crap, but for the price, they do great for what 90% of the people in this world will need. If you can't afford an expensive set of rings, I recommend checking these out.

f**k using those fancy clamping device. I use electrical tape!

DSC_0200.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">f**k using those fancy clamping device. I use electrical tape!

</div></div>

FINALLY!, someone who knows what they're talking about.

We duct tapers gets LOTS MO' MOA of adjustment than u "Seekinz" ring people...

Having read the string, I'd like to make a correction, the Badger Rings, with an NSN, and used on the M40 and M24, all steel and time proven, they fit the D.D. Ross Mil Spec bases. Go to Badger's website, first class products.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having read the string, I'd like to make a correction, the Badger Rings, with an NSN, and used on the M40 and M24, all steel and time proven, they fit the D.D. Ross Mil Spec bases. Go to Badger's website, first class products. </div></div>

Correction Pawprint,they use Leupold MK4 rings on M24's.I should know,I have an issued M24 sws. Reguardless of what Badgers' website says,it doesn't mean they don't leave ring marks. I like my Seekins and Nightforce rings,and on Nightforces website under rings and mounts it says," All Nightforce rings and bases <span style="text-decoration: underline">exceed</span> military design specifications.."To the op,those Seekin rings are kick-butt,Goodshootin'

~R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: al50bmgshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there really a big difference in $30 rings versus $130 rings. This would be on a nightforce scope and aics 1.5 stock rem 700 .308. Is the difference where the eye cant see? </div></div>

I prefer Badger, Nightforce, Leupold, or Vortex/Seekins rings. Some gear/parts can be overpriced, but usually you get what you pay for. As to what you're paying for, Mike wrote-up a short article on this on our blog:

http://www.cstactical.com/Magazine/Blog-...o-Look-For.html

Thanks,

Mason @ CST

just holding $130 rings next to $30 rings you cant see you got your moneys worth.

Just buy Seekins rings, you won't regret it...

You've already spent big money on rifle and scope, don't get cheap now, finish it with a set of quality rings

I stand corrected, the new M24 is now the XM2010, changed the name when they upgraded. Badger was awarded the contract to supWelcome to the Badger Ordnance information page. We will periodically post updates here to let our customers stay up to date with the latest news here at Badger, as well as some of our current projects and products.

One of the latest buz pieces in the precision rifle world has been the US Army’s M24E (XM2010) upgrade contract. Badger is pleased to announce that we were selected to provide rings for this new rifle system.
ply rings for the new XM2010:

M40 Series (USMC):
Bipod: The M40A3s use a 6–9" Harris notched swivel type bipod with a KMW podlock. The
QD bipod attaching screw is replaced with a screw made by Jon Tank of Tanks Rifle Shop.
Dayscope: A modified Schmidt & Bender 3–12× 50 Police Marksman II LP rifle scope with
illuminated reticle has replaced the Unertl MST-100 10× fixed day scope, previously used on both
the M40A1 and M40A3. This dayscope is mounted with Badger Ordnance USMC M40A3 34mm
scope rings, which use a standard ring in the rear and a wider MAX-50 ring in front. The standard
front ring cap is replaced with a SPA-Defense B634 34mm Male Dovetail, as a mounting platform for
the Simrad KN200 Night Vision Weapon Sight. The scope and rings are mounted on a DD Ross 30
minute-of-angle lugged Picatinny rail.

If I use "cheap" rings on something it will only be the Burris Signature Zee ring. They fit on Weaver bases and have plastic inserts that center the scope in the rings and protect the finish. I have yet to have a set fail or loose zero even through some rough handling and long road trips.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just buy Seekins rings, you won't regret it...</div></div>

Some good advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just buy Seekins rings, you won't regret it...</div></div>

Some good advice. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blklabs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just buy Seekins rings, you won't regret it...</div></div>

Some good advice. </div></div>

+1 </div></div>

Amen.

Paw print - I have no dog in this fight. "Mil spec" has come to be overused and not well understood - rather like "tactical". I was just curious as to which military specifications you were referring to. While I have Seekins rings on my LTR, I'm sure Badger also makes an excellent product. An abundance of quality choices is a good thing.
smirk.gif