• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Rings that don't chew up your scope

dbsinh2o

SSgt
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
VA & RI
Regardless of the perceived quality, I'd have a hard time buying rings that left my scope looking like it had been chewed on by a steel-jawed rottweiler.

I've used Leupold Mark 4 alloy rings on everything from a .22LR to a 50 BMG. They're reliable, durable, and hold the scope quite securely. With no marks.

Which others when installed properly don't chew up scope tubes?

Re: Rings that don't chew up your scope

My Seekins rings have left no marks.

In addition to being quality rings, mine are always torqued with a torque wrench.

Um, properly lapped rings usually work pretty well regardless of who made them.

Outside of that, ARC M3's are getting some good reviews about not leaving any marks. I'll be using them on my new scope.

Never a mark with 4 sets of Seekins.

Badger, Nightforce, Seekins, AI, ADM, Warne all have given me no problems....its more about not gorilla handing the cap screws....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Seekins rings have left no marks.

In addition to being quality rings, mine are always torqued with a torque wrench. </div></div>

I probably should have stated that, but considered it part of "installed properly". I wonder how many good rings get a bad rep from some ham hands over tightening the screws?

I ordered a pair of TPS rings, and never installed them because the rings wouldn't even go over the scope tube without forcing them on. Anything that tight was bound to leave marks.

Talley Vertical rings have marred a couple of my scopes badly. I have some ARC's on the way for a scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never a mark with 4 sets of Seekins. </div></div>

Nor 6 sets and counting !
grin.gif

Seekins rings have never left a mark. Neigher did Badgers I owned. DTAs unimount either.

It's probably worth mentioning that all my Seekins rings are on Seekins bases, and they are always installed according to specs with a torque driver.

In the "not terribly expensive" category, I've had good luck with Burris XTR rings on EGW bases. Proper torque and care during tightening probably helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RHutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7 sets
laugh.gif
of Seekins....no marks. </div></div>

dam... better get on the phone with Glen !!
wink.gif

Burris Signature Zees. Very good in my opinion and not a mark to show for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2brothers641</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Burris Signature Zees. Very good in my opinion and not a mark to show for it. </div></div>+1. I love these things. For what 90% of the people out there are going to do, these work great.

Badger just cause I'm a fan of them but their are good rings

My NF has been in NF rings on my .50bmg and .223 no marks to date. My Burris xtr rings keep the falcon in place with no marks either.

My ARC rings have been removed multiple times on a razor hd and has left zero marks, so it gets my votes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowr1der</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2brothers641</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Burris Signature Zees. Very good in my opinion and not a mark to show for it. </div></div>+1. I love these things. For what 90% of the people out there are going to do, these work great. </div></div>
Zactly.

Of the rings I have:

1. Near Manufacturing doesn't chew up the scope
2. Burris Zees also don't chew up the scope
3. LaRue with the plastic insert to downstep the ring size also don't chew up the scope
4. Nightforce doesn't chew too badly
5. JP Enterprise mounts are like Nightforces, doesn't chew too badly.

The ones who do:
1. Badger USMCs are really big offenders
2. Burris Tacticals do chew because they need to be tightened really tight or the scope will slip
3. Millets do chew some

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Badger, Nightforce, Seekins, AI, ADM, Warne all have given me no problems....its more about not gorilla handing the cap screws.... </div></div>

Amen.

American Rifle Company (ARC) M3's are the way to go. Lighter than almost any rings out there with superior grip and no marks.

My Badger M40 rings fucked up my Premier. I have had no problems with other Badgers. Larue is gtg.

Can I ask what the issue is with ring marks?

I see people posting on here all the time asking about durability issues -- this scope can't take being dropped, or that one will not break even if thrown out the window, etc. But then I see issues about cosmetic blemishes from rings...

Are we talking two separate crowds? I'm thinking people concerned with ring marks are 1) either benchrest shooters or 2) ones that perhaps resell scopes often to upgrade? I love my ARs, but I can't see how I could ever have run them hard without all the dings and blemishes they have acquired over time... do blemishes really decrease scope value that much if everything else is ok?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I ask what the issue is with ring marks?

I see people posting on here all the time asking about durability issues -- this scope can't take being dropped, or that one will not break even if thrown out the window, etc. But then I see issues about cosmetic blemishes from rings...

Are we talking two separate crowds? I'm thinking people concerned with ring marks are 1) either benchrest shooters or 2) ones that perhaps resell scopes often to upgrade? I love my ARs, but I can't see how I could ever have run them hard without all the dings and blemishes they have acquired over time... do blemishes really decrease scope value that much if everything else is ok? </div></div>

It's not the fact of a mark or ding, but rings that are out of alignment will put stress and torque on your scope that could warp it and cause it to not track accurately, or cause the parallax not to work, etc.

Properly machined rings will do neither. It's also nice not to have gouges in your scope body.

Magnum and dbsinh20 -- appreciate the answer; never thought about torque/stress. I learn something new every day, especially on this board!

I've been looking for a good deal on another USO for a couple of months. There have been several that I would have purchased, if not for the ring marks. I can't tell if this was caused by poorly designed or misaligned rings, or excessive torque. But I do know that none of my scopes look like this. I don't know at what point damage may occur. But no marks means the tube likely has not been exposed to any excessive stress.