• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Rise of the Apes

Dogtown

Ke = (mv^2)/2
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 21, 2007
    CONUS
    This turned out MUCH better than I expected. We had a cast a crew screening last night (all of the apes were done by our creature team) and it's a really good film. I was never much of a fan of the previous films and especially disliked the 2001 Tim Burton version, but this particular film has a lot of depth and emotion to it and is very exciting to watch. It's one of those films I'll be seeing twice
    wink.gif

Re: Rise of the Apes

Looking forward to seeing this as well,good work on you guys part. The apes look amazing in everything i've seen so far. You work for Weta?

This movie was excellent from start to finish. Definitely worth the price of admission.

Saw it.. it was a good movie for those who like the premise of the story. But personally i hate the story so i just can't like the movie. Another fault i have with it is CGI it's just becoming sickening that almost every film now a days is resorting to CGI to make up for a lot things. Not that they could've gotten a real Ape to do what they did but it just bugs me.

I always find myself asking the same question. If they take over how the the hell did they defeat things such as Jets, Tanks and so on...regardless of their strength over humans and their ability to be agile, they're not impermeable to bullets.

Thats why it's a movie i guess.

No one wants to go back to the days of optical printing, hand painted roto mattes and motion control model photography - bashing CGI is like complaining that most scopes have zero stops and good turrets. "if only they'd go back to duplex reticles! Who needs those stupid mil dots and Horus?"

VFX are VFX. Good VFX is good; it should serve the story and support suspension of disbelief. Were you as pissed off at the VFX for Transformers 3?
    wink.gif

Saw the movie last night. My wife loved it, I did not. The story left me feeling like I just watched the "cliff notes" version of a film. I thought the story covered too much in too little of time.
    Another conclusion I have, James Franco may not be one of Hollywood's best actors. When a CGI ape has more character than the human star, you have problems.

Many will like the film, it will be forgettable though. As I left the theater I realized that they didn't even try to include a single joke or funny scene in the entire movie.
    I recommend waiting for DVD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No one wants to go back to the days of optical printing, hand painted roto mattes and motion control model photography - bashing CGI is like complaining that most scopes have zero stops and good turrets. "if only they'd go back to duplex reticles! Who needs those stupid mil dots and Horus?"

VFX are VFX. Good VFX is good; it should serve the story and support suspension of disbelief. Were you as pissed off at the VFX for Transformers 3?
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

Hehe i didn't see transformers 3 it isn't worth my 9.50$ IMO. CGI is great don't get me wrong but it almost handi caps acting in some movies. Nothing wrong with it in a movie like Planet of the apes or something that you can't physically do, such as inception. But it seems to take away from the acting part IMO in some movies. The point is they use CGI for almost everything now and i can tell it's CGI which bothers me. Avatar made strides and has come a long way but thats the only one. Compare the 90s movies to now you'll see much better movies/acting with the lack of tons of CGI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maxpower220</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saw the movie last night. My wife loved it, I did not. The story left me feeling like I just watched the "cliff notes" version of a film. I thought the story covered too much in too little of time.
    Another conclusion I have, James Franco may not be one of Hollywood's best actors. When a CGI ape has more character than the human star, you have problems.

Many will like the film, it will be forgettable though. As I left the theater I realized that they didn't even try to include a single joke or funny scene in the entire movie.
    I recommend waiting for DVD.</div></div>

The entire time i told my self "it's district 9 planet of the apes." Seriously it was from the Ape's point of view a good bit of the movie. Hell there were tons cheering for the ape in the theater i went to. It felt just like District 9 though in the sense it tried to make you root for the ape.

well, after most of the positive reviews I think I will have to go see it next weekend. The wife loves to see movies, really she just likes to go out and eat a big tub of popcorn.

For anyone interested in some behind the scenes work in bringing the main chimp "Caesar" to life...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=80638

And no, we don't push a bunch of buttons and the film comes out done. There's an army of people finessing details for many, many long weeks just to get the animation right, not to mention the lighting, shading, effects, compositing, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.

I always find myself asking the same question. If they take over how the the hell did they defeat things such as Jets, Tanks and so on...regardless of their strength over humans and their ability to be agile, they're not impermeable to bullets.

Thats why it's a movie i guess. </div></div>
    I saw it today. there are a shitload of links on ZMovie, and some of them work (the copyright guys jump all over them and shut down the links).
    The script was better than I thought, and actually almost was believable. I don't think the chimp cgi was that great, but the gorilla and otang wasn't bad at all.
    And how could the apes win and take over in the end? The virus is communicable from human to human, and there is o resistance. Pay attention, cause you'll see that in the sequel which I guess will be another "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thats why it's a movie i guess.</div></div>

Du'h didn't you see Battle for the Planet of the Apes... easily explains it. They played dead when faced with an overwhelming human force with superior firepower. Then drew them in close and at the right moment, struck with the immortal words from Caesar to, " now fight like apes" ...

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NYEO6hm375Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2:00 minutes in... LOL Apes be tricky.

I noticed the virus at the end but thats a total of two people that had it. Didn't seem like it spread very quickly. The movie isn't bad i simply hate the story.

Haven't seen many planet of the apes movies, might have watched Tim Burton's remake with Marky Mark but i wasn't that into it.

Hollywood seems to be remaking a lot of old movies, just saw a trailer for "the Thing" which i love yet the new one doesn't look so good.

All I can say is WOW. This was a great movie. I liked it from the previews to begin with, but I figured that they just showed all the good parts and details in them anyways. Man was I surprised. It's a great story and somewhat believable. I agree that the CGI is something to be "discussed" but it didn't really make the movie any less worthy of seeing.

The argument of how could they defeat jets and tanks and what not, could be easily explainable, allow me to theorize for a moment.

They are going to let man bring the war to them, and knowing how aggressive/violent/vengeful men can be, I'm sure we would. How many tanks can navigate the forests, we wouldn't use our jets to get to them because we won't be able to see them under all that thick brush. Also I understand that we might just start cutting/blowing up the forests, but we couldn't do it to all of them. The apes would have migrated and began populating other areas also, allowing them to increase their numbers. We would have to send in troops, but again, it would be their land and they are supremely dominate in a wooded environment.
    Also being that they are mostly nocturnal creatures (and very agile and strong), they would be somewhat covert. Attacking at night, going in to urban areas, using the buildings as their trees, perhaps unleashing the virus in secret on us and/or wiping out our leaders.
    Also the virus may in fact be easily transferable from human to human. In the movie there was a brief scene where an infected human sneezes on someone else maybe at that moment transferring it to him. That man was a father, he could easily transfer it to his children, they could easily transfer it to their classmates, they in turn transfer it to their parents, they in turn... you get where I'm going with this. Hell, maybe even the apes could transfer the virus to humans.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

Just came back from it. I think they did a good job of being in depth with it, is is slow, yes, will I see it again probably not. I didnt really like it, and I am NOT a picky movie person.

Been looking forward to this one.

Go Team Evolution.

1. A pile of banana's
    2. 50lbs of tannerite
    3. 10lbs of 1/8" steel bearings
    4. TRG-42 & 800+yds
    5. Time
    Profit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. A pile of banana's
    2. 50lbs of tannerite
    3. 10lbs of 1/8" steel bearings
    4. TRG-42 & 800+yds
    5. Time
    Profit</div></div>

LMAO that was good.

There I was enjoying the new Planet of the Apes Film, The Apes will Rise, thinking how life like it was when I realised I was actually watching the Tottenham Riots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fenris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There I was enjoying the new Planet of the Apes Film, The Apes will Rise, thinking how life like it was when I realised I was actually watching the Tottenham Riots.</div></div>see life truly does imitate art.

VERY mediocre acting.

CGI monkeys still look like CGI but they're still more convincing than Roddy McDowell in a hairy latex suit.