• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RL-15 for 308, 150gr SP's

jayd4wg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2009
Steel City
Need to confirm data pls... I have 3 sources showing max load of RL15 under a 150 sp at ~46 grains HOWEVER, Alliant's website shows max charge of 49 grains. thats an uncomfortable difference. My manuals are less than a year old, and the alliant data is on their current website.

I just loaded up a batch for the new powder from 42-46.5 and will watch for pressure at the upper end, but I hardly think there is another 3 grains worth of space left in the cases... not to mention it could be a VERY hot load at 49grns.

Re: RL-15 for 308, 150gr SP's

JasonB,

Not sure what your question is? Are you asking if 49 grains of RL-15 under a 150 gr SP is safe in your rifle?

There is no real way to tell, unless you test it your self and work up to it. There is always disagreement between manuals. One 150 gr bullet is not the same as another brand of 150 gr bullet. They will reach max pressure at different points in the load ladder.

Two identical rifles, made by the same company, will show different pressure signs with identical loads.

That said I ran 50 grains of RL-15 under a 140 gr Barnes X (no longer made). My velocity was chrono'ed 3086 FPS in a 24" barreled Weatherby Ultra Light. But it was a safe load in that rifle only.

YMMV,

Bob

Re: RL-15 for 308, 150gr SP's

THanks, and kind of what I thought. I was just concerned at the range of posted max loads. I'll keep working up provided accuracy doesn't peak before I get to pressure signs...if it does, i'm stopping. JUst wanted to play with a different powder than varget. I think i have squeezed all I can out of the varget and thought I'd give the RL15 a try.

Thanks for the input.