• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RL 19 with 6.5 CM (Barnes 127 gr LRX)

rrstein82

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2021
Los Angeles
Hi, new to the forum and brand new to reloading/handloading (mostly out of necessity as there's literally zero 6.5 ammo available in Los Angeles...yes, I hate it here). Due to scarcity of basically everything I picked up a jug of RL 19. While it there's plenty of load data for 30.06 and other .30 rounds, I can't find any load data for the Barnes 127 gr LRX (or any 6.5 CM bullet under 140 gr) with RL 19; plenty for RL 15 and RL 17, including my Hornady Reloading Manual. Closest I've found is Sierra's data for their 130 gr HPBT. I'm thinking of grabbing some H4350 second hand but would like to avoid the price gauging if possible.

While RL 19 might not be the optimum powder for 6.5, it's what I've got. For the 130 gr Sierra round they have a min powder charge of 40.2 and maximum of 45.8. I have no intention of playing around with that maximum at this stage, but would it be reasonably/safe/etc. to split the difference and use 42.5 gr of RL 19 for a 127 gr bullet? I'm not looking for the world's most accurate load for competition, just want to be able to shoot and hunt with my rifle...

I found RE-19 was the best powder in my 260 Rem. 22" Mountain Rifle for my hunting loads.
The newest Sierra manual shows good velocities with RE-19 and 130 grain bullets, similar to H-4350.

The only downside I see is RE-19 is temperature sensitivity.

A number of years ago, I ended up with 5#'s of RE-19 for next to nothing. It ended up working well for me. Since you have RE-19, use it. It is useable in the 6.5 CM. No sense in paying high prices right now when you have a useable powder.

Thanks for the reply, and agreed. I was able to get 5 lbs of RE-19 at MSRP, which is about $20 more than what one pound of H4350 is going for on gunbroker.

So based on those number from Sierra, would you say 42-43 grains is a reasonable/ok load for 127 gr bullets?

guess you will have to try it and write back on how it worked out for you good luck and be safe but have fun .