• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RL 550B setup for 308 , 45acp and 40 S&W free to a good home!!! AZ Local Only

remiglockoholic

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2010
All right my bad folks that was bit of some not so obvious sarcasm however, I've found myself in a bit of desperation and after scouring the net I believe I'm not the only one with "issues" with some aspects of the Dillon press. I'm on the verge of just hand priming all my 308 cases but for pistol cartridges that won't be feasible.

Referring to the Dillon manual Pg 9 I assure myself I've applied the right pressure on the set screws and made sure to use the primer tube with a red tip for my large rifle CCI BR-2 primers, but no luck. Bit of a side note I found the primers were intermittently exiting the tube with what appeared to be grease so I took an 30 cal mop to the primer feed tube with no luck.

Common Q & A.

You do realize Dillon has customer support?
Yes, they close very early on Saturday, closed on Sunday and being that this is all setup in my non-hvac'd garage I honestly don't even look at the press until long after sundown. aside from this primer issue everything else is great just not $1200 great.

What have your tried?
Loading primers inside the tube (red tip side down) , Loading with the green tip, flipping the tube upside down pulling the retaining clip and allowing the primers to fall into the feed tube without a tube inside the feed tube. Disassembled the feed tube, re-tighten the handle and shell plate, nearly breaking down the whole press and re-installing the thing.

What have you observed?
First I've found the tubes tension is lacking, on more than once instance this evening I've been able to get ~25 primers loaded then every additional primer falls straight back int my flip tray. Second on the times I've successfully got a primer to fall it's been after slamming the handle down as hard as possible and still I may only get a primer to drop 1 of 5 times.

So brothers please help me out no response at this point is too obvious, as I've watch some of the most mind numbing of YTube videos and still haven't found a acceptable solution. Work schedules being what they are any reasonable suggestion to request a replacement part would greatly help me drive all the way out to Dillon get something new to try without feeling like I wasted gas going out their with what little I understand about the problem now.

Thanks,

Remi

Im not totally sure Im understanding what ya got going on here. Sounds like 2 issues?? (sorry, late and I drove all day) So, issue #1. Pick up tube, Dropping primers back into the flip tray? If thats the case, Dillion sells just the plastic replacement tips. I know that doesn't help you tonight.. sorry..

Issue #2 You said you tried loading primers inside the tube WITHOUT a feed tube inside?? It needs a tube inside, but these are DIFFERENT than the pick up tubes, larger diameter tip to let the primer drop. Not sure what that would have to do with the handle and the shell plate?? what am I missing? The primer system comes off with the 2 allen screws underneath. The main tube and little shuttle gizmo (that actually delivers the primer) You should not have to take off the shell plate to remove or adjust the primer system. The only thing I do to mine is put a thin layer of oil or some kinda lube on the black spacer that sits between the primer system and the press itself to make sure the shuttle slides freely, make sure the 2 allen screws are not too tight. If you have ALL this set up properly and primers are not falling from the tube, maybe the tube is bent?? Something in it?? Sorry if this is not helping, I know its frustrating. Give me more info….

EDITED: OR… shot in the dark. Do you have the 2 tubes reversed?? Small tip is the pick up tube, larger tip goes in the main tube????

Last edited:
Also make sure the plastic tips on the primer feed tubes are pushed on all the way.
If there is a gap between the aluminum tube and the plastic deal, the primer will turn slightly and not fall correctly.

The primer feed tubes have a location rib on the plastic tip, turn the tube until it drops down, then time to tighten the knurled cap on top.

Dillon has a forum: Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

Also make sure the plastic tips on the primer feed tubes are pushed on all the way.
If there is a gap between the aluminum tube and the plastic deal, the primer will turn slightly and not fall correctly.

Good point, forgot about that little gotcha...

Im not totally sure Im understanding what ya got going on here. Sounds like 2 issues?? (sorry, late and I drove all day) So, issue #1. Pick up tube, Dropping primers back into the flip tray? If thats the case, Dillion sells just the plastic replacement tips. I know that doesn't help you tonight.. sorry..

Issue #2 You said you tried loading primers inside the tube WITHOUT a feed tube inside?? It needs a tube inside, but these are DIFFERENT than the pick up tubes, larger diameter tip to let the primer drop. Not sure what that would have to do with the handle and the shell plate?? what am I missing? The primer system comes off with the 2 allen screws underneath. The main tube and little shuttle gizmo (that actually delivers the primer) You should not have to take off the shell plate to remove or adjust the primer system. The only thing I do to mine is put a thin layer of oil or some kinda lube on the black spacer that sits between the primer system and the press itself to make sure the shuttle slides freely, make sure the 2 allen screws are not too tight. If you have ALL this set up properly and primers are not falling from the tube, maybe the tube is bent?? Something in it?? Sorry if this is not helping, I know its frustrating. Give me more info….

EDITED: OR… shot in the dark. Do you have the 2 tubes reversed?? Small tip is the pick up tube, larger tip goes in the main tube????

Ahhhh there are both the red and blue tip tubes that I mistakenly believed to be the normal pick up tubes, going back out to my hot ass garage brb.

Either of you gents cigar smokers or need anything only available here in the Sunshine state? Was able to immediately rectify the primer issue and perfectly establish my powder charge base for pressure testing.

Probably should of came here first, but I learned some valuable information about how the 550 works (much more advanced then my ole rockchucker)

Thanks,

Drive yo butt over to Dillon with press in hand and have a expert diagnose it, there has to be some benefit to living in Arizona.

Either of you gents cigar smokers or need anything only available here in the Sunshine state? Was able to immediately rectify the primer issue and perfectly establish my powder charge base for pressure testing.

Probably should of came here first, but I learned some valuable information about how the 550 works (much more advanced then my ole rockchucker)

Thanks,
Glad you got it working.. Let us know how it goes.

Drive yo butt over to Dillon with press in hand and have a expert diagnose it, there has to be some benefit to living in Arizona.

Man it'd would be like you driving from Lackland afb to the riverwalk during rush hour after a bmt graduation on a 1hr lunch break, you don't want that drive unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. I appear to be in good shape, I'm not looking forward to changing calibers though. The machine is sound but the small things with this thing annoy the shit out me, mainly because I'm the only one I know with one within 15 miles of me (yes i need to get back on ball meeting and greeting.)

Again folks, thanks for the assistance and hell if anyone has any tips and tricks they've uncovered with this blue beast please share!!

What city are you in? I'm running a pair of 550s west of downtown Phx. Sounds like you have your priming issues resolved and hopefully you read the stickies in the FAQ sections.

I'm basically at Luke, AFB I've most certainly read the faqs and I've got a data book for every brand of bullet except berger << there may be a reason why I don't have this one but I don't remember. I've seen enough kabooms, fail to fires and fail to feeds to last a lifetime aside from this minor assembly issue I've been successfully reloading now for about 5 years without incident, I'll be making me first attempts at pistol here shortly but I'm on the money with .308.

Rod you belong to any of the ranges out this way? PR&G or shooters world?

I'm basically at Luke, AFB I've most certainly read the faqs and I've got a data book for every brand of bullet except berger << there may be a reason why I don't have this one but I don't remember. I've seen enough kabooms, fail to fires and fail to feeds to last a lifetime aside from this minor assembly issue I've been successfully reloading now for about 5 years without incident, I'll be making me first attempts at pistol here shortly but I'm on the money with .308.

Rod you belong to any of the ranges out this way? PR&G or shooters world?

I'm right in your neighborhood. If you need some assistance with pistol send me a PM and I can probably help. I've got about 20k rounds through my two 550s. There is some really good info on the Brian Enos site as well along with all kinds of tips and tricks.

I belong to PR&G and also hit BA at least once a month.

Last edited:
I haven't needed the Whidden toolheads. I do use the Inline Fabrication LED strips and Skylight.

Rod thanks for the recommendation order a dome light. Should make a huge difference in my dimly lit bench area